9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 11:12 AM by Solomon

Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)

Solomon Level 1

Dear Community,

I think I have a general system issue that prevent me to smoothly use some software (like Photoshop and After Effects, + some other non-Adobe software).

The issue is a general lag and slowness in the updating of the viewport even when a simple scene is loaded up.

For example, when I try to manage the handles of a mask's point, every single slight modification of the handle needs half of a second to get updated in the viewport.

Switching to "Fast Draft" seems to fix the lag with the handles of the mask, but I still experience lag if I grab the composition with the "Hand Tool" and move it around in the viewport window.

Might be helpful to know that in Cinema 4D I experience the very same issue, and by disabling the use of OpenGL, I can get rid of the lag in the viewport.

Let's also say that once (with the same hardware) everything was working good and I can't recall any major update in my system that could have triggered this bad behavior.

So far I've just tried to install old Nvidia drivers without any success.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

My config for your reference:

It's an old mac pro from 2009.

Adobe AE 12.2.1.5

Windows 7, 64bit running on Bootcamp

Cpu Intel xeon  E5520, 48GB ram

Gpu GeForce GTX 680, 4GB  (with 347.25 driver)

• 1. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7?

Also, once this issue gets sorted out, you should install the new version of AE (13.2 - also known as CC 2014.2). It won't overwrite your current version, if you have concerns about upgrading a work machine - you can still use the old version you've got now.

• 2. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)
            Solomon Level 1

Hello Szalam,

thanks for your help.

Yes Service Pack1 is installed and my Windows 7 professional is up to date.

• 3. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)

Since this is happening in more than just Adobe software, it's likely an issue on a more systemic level, but we can still try to help.

What happens if you try to use things like AE in the Mac OS? With the Creative Cloud software, you can install it on the Mac part of your Mac too.

• 4. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I suspect it's Bootcamp causing the problems.  Follow Szalam's advice.

• 5. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)
                  Solomon Level 1

Thanks, for the next few days I wont be able to perform this test and download AE under OSX, as I don't have a proper internet connection.

But like you and Dave, I also share the opinion that is likely a Windows-only problem (Bootcamp).

What would you do then?

Anyway, let me say again that few months ago everything was working ok.

Maybe downgrading to an old version of bootcamp (is it even possible?) would be worth to try?

Thanks again, really appreciated your support.

• 6. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)

I wish I could offer more advice. These days, AE works beautifully with Windows in its natural state, but I do not have extensive experience with how things work under Bootcamp.

If it was working fine and now isn't, obviously something has changed. What may not be so obvious is what that change was. It might be the smallest of things. Any updates to the Windows OS, Bootcamp, Mac OS, antivirus software, codec packs, GPU driver, hardware, software, etc.

This may require a lot of detective work on your end to try to track down the issue. You might try a system restore in Windows back to a date when you know it was working. This will only effect the operating system and not any of your files. (Note: this is NOT system recovery!)

• 7. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)
                      Solomon Level 1

Hello again,

thanks anyway for your support, really appreciated.

I can be a lil be more informative as I've done a couple of hardware tests:

1. I disconnected my Zotac gtx680 4GB and replaced it with a lower specs GTX 470: the applications that were suffering the lag now are responsive, without any lag!!
                      2. I connected my ssd with windows7 and my Zotac 680 4GB to a REAL PC (so no more a Bootcamped Mac Pro): applications using OpenGL are still suffering of severe lag in the viewport.

These tests seems to point out that my Zotac 680 could be the source of the lag with OpenGL apps.

Do you have any consideration to share, now that we've ruled out that it's not Bootcamp behind this particular issue?

• 8. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)

It does seem as if that GPU is the issue. You might try removing the drivers for it and replacing them with newer (or older) drivers to see if that resolves the issue.

• 9. Re: Why the viewport became laggy? (openGl issue?)
                          Solomon Level 1

Hello there Szalam, I've tried with different sets of old drivers without any success.

thanks, anyway!