4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 7:11 AM by AndersStanglPhotography

LR 5 on Mac fails to backup to NAS

AndersStanglPhotography Level 1
      For a long time I've successfully been backing up my LR catalog on my Windows 8 machine to my Buffalo LS421DE NAS.

I just got a MacBook Pro and have set up my LR and PS CC successfully. However...I can not backup my .lrcat to the NAS.

Here's what happens...short version, LR works for a while and the tells me that I 'need to check that there is space and that I have permission to write to the location'.

Long version...in order to try and find out what happened - if anything - I looked in Finder as LR was doing the backup. In Finder I could see that the .lrcat slowly was being written to the NAS, in one case 500MB of the 1.4 GB total and then all of a sudden the file decreased in size down to 0 MB upon which LR gave me the error message mentioned above.

The connection to the NAS is stable.

• 1. Re: LR 5 on Mac fails to backup to NAS
          dj_paige Level 9

'need to check that there is space and that I have permission to write to the location'.

Did you check the permissions? Did you check to see that there is enough space?

• 2. Re: LR 5 on Mac fails to backup to NAS
            Arpit Kapoor Adobe Employee

Hi AndersStanglPhotography,

• Did you check if you have the permission to copy the file over to NAS drive?
            • Is it just Lightroom, you are facing issue with or with other Adobe & non-Adobe apps as well?
            • Did you try to backup LR catalog manually to that NAS drive? If so, did it work? If not, would suggest you to try that and check.
            • Create a new test catalog and then try to back it up and check, if it's specific to a particular catalog or not.

Also, I can see other users reporting similar issues and errors with NAS on Mac. You might want to go through it. Strange problem when copying files to NAS | Apple Support Communities

Do check, if your able to copy other files to NAS, if not, then you might need to contact Apple and check with them, if there are any compatibility issues.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

~ Arpit

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: LR 5 on Mac fails to backup to NAS

Thanks for your reply ! Yes I did, yesterday I imported 200 NEF files via LR to the NAS and today I worked with a TIFF that I saved on the NAS. I have more than 1 TB free space on the NAS. I only have issues when backing up the .lrcat when exiting LR.

• 4. Re: LR 5 on Mac fails to backup to NAS

Thank you for your reply !

Yes I did, I copied 200 NEFs via LR yesterday and saved several TIFFs today. Actually it's only the backup of the .lrcat that is a problem, I have imported and deleted files in LR on the NAS. Yes, I can manually save the .lrcat file to the NAS via Finder.

I gave it another try just now and it brought the NAS to a stop ! Very strange....I never had any problems with this on my Windows machine. I have 1 TB free space on the NAS by the way. Thanks for the links, will check them out !