7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2007 11:49 AM by kglad

Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript

demetriusmcclain
      I am trying to get my thumbnails (Which are individual buttons) to show in the box to the right when you click on them but I don't know the code to put on the buttons to make that happen. Can someone please help me.

http://www.geocities.com/demetriusmcclain/
        • 1. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          if the box to the right is a movieclip with instance name whiteboxMC, you can use:

• 2. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
            demetriusmcclain Level 1
            I've tried a couple of senarios and have come up with nothing. Maybe I should have explained that the thumbnail scroll pane is an external file that is imported through a empty movieclip. I tried putting the code on the actions layer of the thumbnail movieclip then I tried putting it on the essence of arts site actions layer. I even put the code on each individual thumbnail but got an error saying there needed to be a handler. I hate to impose upon you again but could you tell me what I am doing wrong. I greatly appreciate you writing the code. Thank You, Thank You. I don't want to be spoon fed this information because I'm afraid I will never understand how to write it myself but it appears at this point I have no alternative. Does adobe have a course on actionscript that I can take? I bought flash 8 actionscript bible but I really didn't learn anything reading that. It only frustrated me.
            • 3. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
              the code above is everything you need to do what you want. but the name of the movieclips aren't going to be correct and should be changed.

yourThumb should be the movieclip instance name of your thumb. so, if you load that external swf of vertical images into holderMC and one of your thumb's has instance name giraffeMC, you would use:

• 4. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
                demetriusmcclain Level 1
                OK!
                I started to understand and then you threw me for a loop. Soooooo, what I have done is enabled the site so that you can download the fla and make the adjustments. I promise to study the code and maybe learn a thing a two.

Here is the link:

http://www.geocities.com/demetriusmcclain/

If you are ever in Miami on South Beach I'd like to thank you by getting you fubarred at wet willies. You don't know the depth of gratitude I'm feeling right now. What about the courses? Does Adobe have Actionscript courses I can take?
                • 5. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
                  there are weekend course offered from time to time i large cities. but i think it would be less expensive to look at your local community college(s) and see if they have anything offered.

you could search google for actionscript classes.

i looked at your project and i really don't see an easy way to accomplish what you want. there are reasons i say that but all of them are solvable but one.

the one that can't be resolved is that you cannot change the parentage of a duplicated movieclip.

so, each of your elephant thumbnail duplications, for example, is going to be a child of panel. and panel is masked. so, all your duplicated elephants are going to be masked and therefore cannot be positioned over your canvas and still be visible. there is not work-around with your current set-up.

the only way i can see to resolve the issue is to assign a linkage id to each of your panel buttons, use shared library assets and attach the corresponding button to the _level0 swf.
                  • 6. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
                    demetriusmcclain Level 1
                    if you can give me the instructions on how to accomplish this I would greatly appreciate it. I feel it would be too much to ask you to pull this off for me. As far as Adobe classes, they have an intro class to flash which is basically the beginner stuff I already know.
                    • 7. Re: Pls view SWF and help with Actionscript
                      here's your files that way they should be set-up. there's a minor change in your main eoa.fla file (with the path to elephants.swf) and major changes to elephant.fla:

www.geocities.com/kglad99/eoArts.zip