1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2007 11:16 AM by FlightGuy

Smooth Scrolling with Flex List Components

colin.light Level 1
      Hi,

I’m trying to find the best solution for creating smooth scrolling using Flex List based components. I'm creating an image editing application, which will import and edit a large number of images, possibly over a hundred at a time.

I'd like to be able to use the TileList component so I can bind it an ArrayCollection, which will be my model, and take advantage of all the sorting features of the sort class. This is all fine apart from I noticed that the scrolling on the TileList is not smooth; it jumps from one row to the next as you scroll.

Is there a way to create a smooth scroll using this component?
        • 1. Re: Smooth Scrolling with Flex List Components
          FlightGuy Level 1
          I don't believe there is a built-in way to make these scroll smoothly. The biggest advantage you'll get from using the list controls is that they don't render all the images you're importing - just what you can see plus a couple.

I believe the only way you'll be able to do this is by extending the list and building it yourself - it's not simple though, particularly if your items are different heights.

I have a similar requirement, in which I have a list with a custom renderer (rendering different height elements), which needs to pan up and down on a touch-screen (with a little hand cursor like Acrobat reader). I've implemented a pan control that does that, but requires that the entire content is rendered, and then scrolls it up and down as a unit. Problem is performance in rendering it, so I'm looking at taking advantage of the render-as-you-need-it functionality of the list.

Would be happy to see your solution if you manage.

Tim