1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2007 11:16 AM by FlightGuy

Smooth Scrolling with Flex List Components

colin.light
      Hi,

I’m trying to find the best solution for creating smooth scrolling using Flex List based components. I'm creating an image editing application, which will import and edit a large number of images, possibly over a hundred at a time.

I'd like to be able to use the TileList component so I can bind it an ArrayCollection, which will be my model, and take advantage of all the sorting features of the sort class. This is all fine apart from I noticed that the scrolling on the TileList is not smooth; it jumps from one row to the next as you scroll.

Is there a way to create a smooth scroll using this component?
        • 1. Re: Smooth Scrolling with Flex List Components
          FlightGuy Level 1
          I don't believe there is a built-in way to make these scroll smoothly. The biggest advantage you'll get from using the list controls is that they don't render all the images you're importing - just what you can see plus a couple.

I believe the only way you'll be able to do this is by extending the list and building it yourself - it's not simple though, particularly if your items are different heights.

I have a similar requirement, in which I have a list with a custom renderer (rendering different height elements), which needs to pan up and down on a touch-screen (with a little hand cursor like Acrobat reader). I've implemented a pan control that does that, but requires that the entire content is rendered, and then scrolls it up and down as a unit. Problem is performance in rendering it, so I'm looking at taking advantage of the render-as-you-need-it functionality of the list.

Would be happy to see your solution if you manage.

Tim