11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 4:33 PM by trshaner

lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb

karwendelmaus

recently i "upgraded" my desktop-pc and mounted 1 new internal hdd 3tb formatted pgs-guid and 1 external hdd 4tb mbr

when i open lr 4 these hdds are not shown in "sources" -- i cannot open/view pictures from these drives

when i copy the picture-files to the 1 tb mbr-drive that is still there i can open the pictures without any problems

is lr 4 not compatible with hdds > 2 tb and or formatted in gps (guid)-mode?

will lr 5 show these hdds?

• 1. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
          JoeKostoss Level 4

LR will not see folders or drives unless you import images from them.  If you already have photos on the HD, use the import function to "Add" these to LR.

• 2. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
            karwendelmaus Level 1

hi joe

there is lots of pictures on the new drives (i copied all files from the former 1tb hdd to the new 3 tb hdd) -- both hdds are still mountes and active -- lr4 will show only pictures on the 1 tb hdd -- lr 4 doesnot show any pictures from the 3 tb internal hdd nor the external 4 tb hdd?

• 3. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the drive and check 'Include Subfolders' in the Import module here:

• 4. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
                JoeKostoss Level 4

Did you copy the photos using your computer OS rather than LR?  If you did, then LR has no information on the new HD so it will not see that HD.  The correct way to move the photos is from inside LR.  I suggest that you clear the new HD and then put a single photo on that new HD using the OS, any photo will work. Then inside of LR, import that one photo.  LR will now see that HD.  Move the other photos to the new HD by dragging them from the LR Library grid to that HD.

• 5. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
                  JoeKostoss Level 4

Additional Info.  Because the photos are already in the LR Catalog, do not import them again from the new HD; you will lose all the LR processing that was performed on them.  I suggest that on the new HD, you create a main folder; name it anything you want such as My Photos or Karwen Photos or whatever you want the top level folder to be.  Using the OS, place a photo in that folder, then proceed as above, dragging photos into that folder.

• 6. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb

Here's a good video on moving your Lightroom image files to an external drive or a 2nd internal drive.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/how-to-copy-files-to-an -external-hard-drive-in-lightroom/

It's OK to move an entire top-level folder (Pictures folder) from outside LR to a new drive, but don't ever rename or reorganize files or subfolders outside LR. The above video will explain how to relink the "original" LR image files that were on the 1TB drive that are now copied over in-mass to the new HDD. I assume the internal 3TB HDD is the new working drive for image files and the 4TB HDD is a backup drive. If so the 4TB backup files should NOT be Imported into LR since they are duplicates. If you're doing something else with the two new drives please explain in detail. Things can degrade very quickly if you try to reimport the same files or reorganize files outside LR!

• 7. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
                      karwendelmaus Level 1

hi and thanks everybody so far - the case is still not yet solved, let´s try it another way round:

to trshaner:

1. i just imported a few totally new photos from my cam into a folder of my new internal 3 tb drive (didn´t import it with/or into lightroom because this drive is not shown) - when i now want to import these fotos into lightroom the 3 tb drive is not shown in "sources"; i can click "add new drive" -- then i can go to the new file but lightroom will show that there are no fotos in this file allthough i can see them on the windows viewer in case it´s jpegs; what i can do is mark all fotos i wish to import into lightroom and drag and drop them into lightroom, lr will then show the drive and teh fotos in the list on the left side -- but still: if i want to import another set of fotos from this drive lr will again not show this drive in "sources"

2. i just viewed the video by julian cost; if you do it this way you will have the fotos moved into your externla drive she calls archive -- but they are gone in the original drive -- so you just got them once -- in case the external drive crashes -- they are gone -- so in my eyes better copy them with the os to the external drive and leave them on the internal drive linked to lr (am i wrong?)

3. i never ever rename files or pictures outside of lightroom cause this way the link is gone which lightroom has created to find the fotos

so what?

• 8. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb

1) Not a clue! What system MB, OS, LR version, and how did you format the hard drives. Also what is to be stored on each of the three drives and what are the objectives of using three drives: 1TB, 3TB, 4TB It's all in the details....the more detailed the better!

2) Use 'Copy' to the new drives if you want to keep the same files on the 1TB drive.

• 9. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb

Please also post a screenshot from inside Disk Management:

• 10. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb
                            karwendelmaus Level 1

to trshaner

win 7-64, lr 4.4 version 6.1; all drives mbr except for the 3 tb intern this is gps-guid

formerly i had three internal drives: c = system only ssd; D = 1 TB ex main HDD and E= 250 GB;all my stuff - word-files, ppt/ pptx ... plus all fotos were on D; backup was on an external 1TB drive (WD my book); E was for reserved for my wifes files

the drives were no longer suitable -- so i bought 2 new drives: 1 internal 3TB= A and 1 external 4TB=B; all data have been copied from D to A and B via the os;

D is now my wifes "new" bigger 1 TB dirve; E is for my professional work

when i want to import fotos into lightroom the new drives A and B are not shown

thanks again

• 11. Re: lr 4 will not show new hdds > 2 tb

A picture is worth a thousand words! You have assigned drive letters 'A' and 'B' to the 3TB and 4TB drives, which Lightroom (and some other applications) can't see:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/drive_letters_missing_in_import_dest ination_on_windows

Here's a solution posted by John Ellis in the above post:

Lightroom: Display A & B Drive letters in Import Destination on Windows

Another solution is to assign the 3TB and 4TB drives with any other drive letter except A & B.