5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2007 3:53 PM by IR-PROGNOSIS

Context Sensitive Help in Robohelp v6

IR-PROGNOSIS
      Can anyone tell me if either version of Robohelp v6 (Standard or Pro) supports the use of Context Strings for context sensitive help rather than Map Ids (v5 only supports Map Ids)?

Thanks.

Chris
        • 1. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Robohelp v6
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          I don't think anything has changed in that area. We use URLs but from what I can see, context strings are something else. Where are context strings held in whatever you have seen them in? If your application works with context strings, could you not add something manually to the true code?

Tell us a bit more and maybe someone can think of a workaround.

• 2. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Robohelp v6
            MergeThis Level 4
            By "Context String" do you mean something like "UserMainConfigForm" for a form used as the main configuration window for users, for example?

If so, the app can simply call the file you've named identical to the string (UserMainConfigForm.htm). This has always worked in X5.

If not, please clarify.

Good luck,
            Leon
            • 3. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Robohelp v6
              IR-PROGNOSIS Level 1
              Thanks for the responses. The situation is that I have a .NET application that uses 8 character alpha context strings to call the context sensitive help, eg. MAINWIN. Currently the HTML Help is built in HDK and I have no problems, everything works fine. However, I am trying to convert all help authoring over to Robohelp and I have run into the problem that Robohelp does not take context strings (apparently effective from X5). I do not want to have the developers change all the existing context strings unless I really have to, and I am of the understanding that .NET does not accept numeric ids for context senstive help.

Peter, I don't know what you mean by the 'true code', if you could enlighten me on that it may help. Otherwise if all else fails it looks like I will have to have the developers change to calling the htm file name.

Regards,

Chris
              • 4. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Robohelp v6
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                Simply the true code view in RoboHelp. Tab on the right.

When HDK creates the context string, where does it appear in the html code? Can you give me an example line?

• 5. Re: Context Sensitive Help in Robohelp v6
                  IR-PROGNOSIS Level 1
                  Peter, thank you for your reply. I must have been going blind not to see the True Code tab, although it is not something that I ever use. However, your comment made me dig further into HDK to see how it did actually call the .chm help pages. It turns out that I had HDK set to automatically assign its own 8 digit htm file name to each topic, except when a context string is added, in this case it then uses the first 8 characters of the context string as the htm file name. So, as you originally stated the context sensitive help is simply calling the htm file name. So I went back to Robohelp and changed my HTML file names to the existing 8 character context string names and I now have success. Although, in Robohelp I had orignally set up folders to break up the HTML files into logical chapters, this now has to go as Robohelp considers these as part of the file name in the HHP file and therefore the context string being called by the application will not work with these in place.

Thanks again for leading me to success, it has been a very frustrating time.

Regards,

Chris