Can you give us a step-by-step of how you Renamed and subsequently created a catalog to send to your editor. Then, how did you reintegrate the information when you received the files back from the editor?
selected picks and organized
Library > rename photos
removed non-picked files from catalog
put copy of catalog and smart previews in a folder and zipped it
uploaded to FTP server
they edited for color balance
downloaded from FTP server to HD
unzipped and opened the file, and the images say they are all missing
Looked at raw files, and none of the raw files are renamed
previews have been renamed in catalog, so original files no longer link up with previews.
I have used this editor many times before, and I've never had this problem.
I would recommend a change to your workflow:
1. Pick photos
2. Select Picks using Library Filter
3. File>Export as a Catalog> do not include originals but include smart previews.
4. FTP the resulting folder
5. Let your vendor edit
6. Download from FTP
7. From the freshly downloaded folder, use File>Import from Catalog to integrate your vendor's changes with the master copy in your master catalog.
Much simpler. Preserves edits through the process.
This doesn't help me with the renaming issue. Thanks anyways.
Rename becomes your last step in the process.
But it doesn't solve my current issue.
Without far more details it is impossible to help further.
You need to give very specific details with before and example names, etc. From your description thus far, I cannot tell what you are trying to do, what is going wrong, or what you need to do. The workflow you are using seems convoluted but then perhaps, I don't have enough information to judge that.
wow, you're a real jerk.
And you've found an excellent way to get help!
Look....I explained my problem in the original post, you never addressed my actual issue. I don't need your help anymore, I've fixed the names manually, therefore I don't want to spend any more time talking about the issue. The issue stemmed from a full hard drive. The RAW files did not rename through lightroom like they were supposed to. That was my only issue. I don't need your "advice" or passive aggressive "bullying" because my workflow is different than yours.
I am sorry you feel that way. I hope you have a better experience the next time you have an issue.