8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 7:51 AM by Szalam

Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014

AshrafAziz Level 1

Hi everyone,

Please find attached below a still which I would like to insert in my premiere pro cc project over a shot of a desert and the camera pans from left to right to give an effect of movement for the objects in the still. My question is how do I animate the objects in the still to appear as if they are walking and moving normally?  Is After Effects CC 2014 the right application to accomplish this, would you help me please with the steps to animate it successfully?

001b-1920x1080c_Saints Lights-3b.jpg

• 1. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have the original artwork for this, it will be easier.

You will want to use After Effects to create the whole shot if the camera is panning rather than dropping them over some footage in Premiere.

You can copy and paste the shot from Premiere into AE and then use motion tracking to make them appear to be in the shot.

For actual character movement, you would want to use the Puppet Tool.

• 2. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014
            AshrafAziz Level 1

Thank you Szalam. I made this work using photoshop. But I am sorry I did not understand what did you mean that "it will be easier". Making them appear in the shot by dropping them over the premiere footage is a piece of cake. I was wondering if I can use AE to establish a walk cycle and movement coordination similar to Flash Pro CC 2014 works (if possible) as I usually use PremierePro and AE but I am new to Flash.

• 3. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014
              AshrafAziz Level 1

By the way I saved every step orginating this work in photoshop, starting from the drawings, and each step of adding colors, has a photoshop saved file, I usually do this when I work with Premiere Pro too. I save my project in a format such as Name of the project001-(Description of the step) then whenevr there is progress in my work I make a save as such as project002-(New Description of the progress added) ..etc

• 4. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014

I said it would be easier if you were the creator of the original artwork because you would have access to any layers or other needed things for when the character movement happens. If you have the arms, legs, clothes, etc. on different layers, you can animate more effectively.

My suggestion of doing it all in AE was only if the shot of the desert was moving.

• 5. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014
                  AshrafAziz Level 1

Ahhh, I made the drawings on a sheet of paper, scanned it and stuck on a prephotographed green screen, then I coloured it layer by layer. I guess I have to draw it again and isolate each moving organ in a separate layer? did I get it this time or am I missing something. If this is right I would consume another 4 additional hours to create it this way, but the question is what's next, how do I animate the characters???

• 6. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014

Why did you stick it on a green screen after you scanned it? Why not leave it on transparent?

You don't necessarily have to re-draw things either. You might be able to get the separate objects you need just using Photoshop.

There are several ways to animate characters in After Effects. You can even use inverse kinematics! (The third-party duik tools are very helpful with that.)

Another way is the Puppet tool I mentioned in my first post: After Effects Help | Animating with Puppet tools

• 7. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014
                      AshrafAziz Level 1

I did this because that's how I do with other PremierePro footage which I shoot with a greenscreen background, I thought it would work the same way. Thanks Szalam for your kind and helpful responses. I decided to take the longer way which is using Flash CC 2014, and it is an opportunity to learn and practice with this powerfull application than ignoring it for years. I usually work with Premiere Pro, SpeedGrade, AE, and photoshop only. But I determined that I should start learning some of the Flash poweful tools, and believe me I found it very interesting. Thank u for your help. You are great.

• 8. Re: Animate a Still Using AE CC 2014

Glad to help.