11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 7:32 AM by steve j82852355

can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?

steve j82852355 Level 1

can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?

• 1. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
          dj_paige Level 9

Technically, no, photos are never "moved" into Lightroom.

You can import the photos into Lightroom, which means that the photos are still on your hard disk somewhere, they are never stored in Lightroom, but Lightroom now knows about the photo in its database, and so you can perform Lightroom tasks on these photos.

• 2. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
            steve j82852355 Level 1

Ok, thanks. Guess I was confused when I saw the "collections" tab. Thinking bridge or LR stored them.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
              JoeKostoss Level 4

The photos are not in Bridge; Bridge is a browser that looks at your HD and sees the photos in folders on your HD.

Photos are also not in LR.  As dj points out, the information about the photos are imported into your LR Catalog, so LR knows where they are in those same folders on your HD.

• 4. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                steve j82852355 Level 1

Thank you. I am new to this obviously but I am liking PSCC LR. and Bridge. Need to watch the tutorials.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                  steve j82852355 Level 1

So basically Bridge is a way to view your photos in one place and then be able to get them into PSCC in my case and LR.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                    rkelly0137 Level 3

steve j82852355 wrote:

So basically Bridge is a way to view your photos in one place and then be able to get them into PSCC in my case and LR.

Sent from my iPhone

It might be semantics, but I wouldn't look at it that way.  Yes, Bridge is a tool that lets you browse through your photos and open them into PS.  If you shoot in RAW then you can view your RAW files, open them in the RAW converter (ACR), and send to PS.  You really wouldn't send it to LR, if that's even possible.  Here's why:

Lightroom was designed as a database for your photos, and as an alternate workflow to the above.  You can browse your photos, edit in the raw converter in Lightroom, and then send to Photoshop (if needed).  The difference is that LR is a much more sophisticated database management tool, and the editing functions is a more integral part of the program (instead of sending to ACR).  Unlike Bridge, which simply looks at the files where they are on your drive, you have to manage your files in your LR catalog, within the program itself.  If you go and manually move a file it won't know where it is.  It takes some getting used to, but once you do you don't think of it anymore.

• 7. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                      steve j82852355 Level 1

More good info. Thanks. When

you mentioned Raw converter

ACR do you mean converting a picture to a Raw image from say a JPEG image? If the camera takes a Raw image no need to convert, right? Or am I missing something? Probably am.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                        dj_paige Level 9

Steve, you have a few misconceptions.

First, you do NOT want to be using both Bridge and Lightroom on your photos. One or the other, but not both. You are opening yourself up to confusion if the information in Bridge doesn't match the information in Lightroom, and secondly, its more work to use both. Use one or the other, not both.

ACR do you mean converting a picture to a Raw image from say a JPEG image?

ACR is the image editing part of Adobe Bridge and Photoshop. The goal is not really to convert RAW to JPG (although you can do that). The goal is to edit the RAW and maintain maximum quality.

If you use Lightroom, you don't need to use Bridge, and in fact I would say, you shouldn't use Bridge. You can import your photos into Lightroom, or open them in Photoshop, without ever using Bridge.

There are a gazillion and a half tutorials on-line about Lightroom, I suggest you view some to eliminate some of your misconceptions. For example, these are very good: Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                          steve j82852355 Level 1

Yeah, I was wondering about using Bridge along with LR. It did not make a lot of sense after reading the comments from you and others.

Bridge is going to go. Don't need to complicate my life that much.

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                            rkelly0137 Level 3

steve j82852355 wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering about using Bridge along with LR. It did not make a lot of sense after reading the comments from you and others.

Bridge is going to go. Don't need to complicate my life that much.

Sent from my iPhone

That's the best answer - in my opinion.  Many prefer Bridge/ACR/PS, and that's fine, but it doesn't make sense to use both Bridge and Lightroom.

As an aside: I used PS/Bridge for many, many years before Lightroom, and I hated LR at first.  It was very different than my workflow in Br/ACR/PS.  But give it time, it's just a different way to manage things.  Once you do, I think you'll see the brilliance behind it.  It's a fantastic program, IMHO.  You'll probably find you can do most your editing entirely within LR - depending on what kind of work and post processing you do.

• 11. Re: can I move photos in bridge to lightroom?
                              steve j82852355 Level 1

Ok, thanks to everyone for all the help. I'll close out this question but sure I'll have more.

Sent from my iPhone