4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 1:54 PM by Steven.Madwin

Add an approval signture

EricaSholycow Level 1

Hi there

I'm trying to create a very simple PDF form with signature and a submit button.

I need this signature to be very easy to use - I really don't want the user to have to create a digital ID (ie let's pretend the user barley knows how to use reader.) I want to create a filed that prompts the user to add a typed signature, draw signature or use an image and I can't seem to get it to work. When I create a signature field it requires it always requires the user to use a certificate and all other options are greyed out! How can I get that field to prompt the user to just type in a signature? I don't want the form to be an EchoSign Form because the Submit button is lost.

Is this possible? I have been tearing my hair out trying to find a solution to this.

I just want the person filling out the form to be able to sign the form easily without an id.  The security, guarantee or legality of this signature isn't paramount.

TIA!

• 1. Re: Add an approval signture
          Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Erica,

My guess is when the PDF file was created it contained a signature field. When Reader finds a signature field it makes the assumption that the document author intended for a digital signature (a certificate based, cryptographic operation) to be created and not an electronic signature (which is what a image based signature is without any underlying crypto). Thus, the electronic signature options are disable on the dialog you're referencing. Try recreating the file without the signature field, but rather just draw a line and type "Sign here" underneath the line (or something to that effect).

I hope this helps,

Steve

• 2. Re: Add an approval signture
            EricaSholycow Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for you reply. This is a great option however if I leave it without a field I'm concerned that people won't know how to sign in. Is there a way to have a field that prompts user to insert a electronic signature? For example with the digital signature you click it and it prompts you to insert the digital signature, without this it is possible to just not sign it...

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Add an approval signture
              EricaSholycow Level 1

Now I'm trying to place a signature in Adobe Reader and it requests that I save a copy and I do but It won't let me place a signature even after a saved copy. Ever time I try to place a signature it requests that I save and it and no signature.... a thus a vicious cycle of saving and no signture! I'm really loosing my mind over this. Any help please?

• 4. Re: Add an approval signture
                Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Erica,

If you can share the file (that is, it's not proprietary) please email to me at Steven.Madwin@adobe.com and I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

Steve