5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2017 1:45 AM by Roei Tzoref

Shape layer path scales down when attempting to animate it.

gonzo_gnar

Hey everybody. Im on After effects Version 12.2 and Im having trouble animating the path of a shape layer. Every time I set the ending keyframes, it scales the path down then goes to the position. Not just adjusting the path. Has anybody had this problem, or no a fix? Im o 12.2 via work since they wont allow us to update. So updating to CC 2014 isnt an option unfortunately. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Shape layer path scales down when attempting to animate it.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is what you do. Select your shape layer and then press the u Key twice to reveal all of the properties that have been changed from the default. Now look for keyframes. If you have scale keyframes delete them. If your shape layer is 3-D check the value of the Z position. If that doesn't solve the problem you may be experiencing a ping-pong effect from keyframe interpolation. If that's a problem then click on the position property to select all keyframes then press the g Key to select the pen tool then hold down the alt/option key to bring up the convert point tool and fix the Besnier handles on the position keyframes in the composition panel.

If that does not work delete all of your position keyframes. Now open up your preferences and in the General tab select all position keyframes to linear. Now try your animation again.

You have not found a bug, this is strictly a problem with technique.

• 2. Re: Shape layer path scales down when attempting to animate it.
            gonzo_gnar Level 1

Hey Rick, thanks for the reply! So the problem is Im not animating position. Just  path. So just to be safe I tried everything you said. There are no extra keyframes within the shape layer, the file is not 3d, there is nothing wrong within the interpolation of keyframes, and converting everything to linear is on and still nothing. To be safe. I checked on a co workers laptop by doing the same thing. Animated the path within a shape layer, and the same thing happened. the path scaled down and then went into position. Since the fact that the same thing happened on another persons computer, I believe there is a problem with this version. Thanks again for getting back.

• 3. Re: Shape layer path scales down when attempting to animate it.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you animate a path the vertices travel in a straight line and that's what's causing a problem.

There is a path interpolation panel that you can open and try some options.

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 9.31.57 PM.png

Check the help file for instructions. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?cat=support&term=mask%20interpolation&loc=en _US&lr=en_US&product=aftereffe…

Here's some good information from Chris and Trish Meyers: http://www.provideocoalition.com/managing_moving_masks

Smart mask Interpolation starts on page 2.

As I said before this is not a problem caused by a bug but by technique.

• 4. Re: Shape layer path scales down when attempting to animate it.
                heinGuest Level 1

Hi gonzo_gnar

My reply is probably too late, but here goes.  I had a similar issue when converting the standard AF ellipse or rectangle to bezier paths.  The shape scaled down to almost 0 then popped into place when the next keyframe was reached. I came across a list of new features upon the release of version 12.2 here:

After Effects CC (12.2): what’s new and changed in this December 2013 update | After Effects region of interest

This was a new feature with version 12.2 and about 3/4 down the page, it states that the "convert to bezier shape" doesn't animate as expected and they suggest you should try reversing the path.  Unfortunately that didn't work for me either.

What I did was, I cut (CTRL+X or CMD-X) the Path1 from the ellipse and deleted the fill and stroke.  I pasted the Path1 back onto the ellipse, (which then jumps to center canvas) and added the stroke and fill back onto that path.

This time the path animated as expected and I just dragged it back into place from where it jumped from.

I should just add, it seems to work best if there's no animation on the path from the start.  I tried a few versions with animation on the path before cutting and pasting.  Although the shape doesn't scale anymore it translates to the position on the canvas it jumped from.  I'll keep fiddling and post my results.  

hope it helps.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Shape layer path scales down when attempting to animate it.
                  Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
                  Every time I set the ending keyframes, it scales the path down then goes to the position.

it's a bug with shapes ever since the convert to bezier path was introduced. after your convert to Bezier Path, you should remember to set the first vertex manually. you can do that after the fact BTW.