8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2007 1:15 AM by multichild

Rip effect area in gif format

multichild Level 1
      Hi,
      I am working on a site that is based on medieval banquets, and recently I created a videoplayer for them which plays a promotional video.

That is great, but what I would like to do is create an advert for them, promoting this video. What I had in mind was to use a medieval sash, and in the middle of that, the very short video intro will live. On top of the video, on a higher layer in Flash, will exist a ripped effect layer image that sits above the video screen, using the same colour as the sash, so they can see the video but it looks as though its playing through a ripped area of the sash.

I havent got a lot of money, and I know there are software out there to do this, but I was wondering if I could do this effect in Fireworks.

Thanks

Lee
        • 1. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
          Level 7
          You can use the Alien Skin Splat, Torn Paper filter that came with
          Fireworks to create the edge effect that you want.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          • 2. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
            multichild Level 1
            Thanks for that Linda,

I had no idea that was there. Im a developer, and not usually having to deal with the graphic design bit, but thought id give it a go.

Thanks very much

p.s so basically I create an area with the marquee tool is it, and then use the filter, then save that as a transparent gif, and bob's your uncle is it?

• 3. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
              Level 7
              multichild wrote:

> Thanks for that Linda,
              >
              > I had no idea that was there. Im a developer, and not usually having to deal
              > with the graphic design bit, but thought id give it a go.
              >
              > Thanks very much
              >
              > p.s so basically I create an area with the marquee tool is it, and then use
              > the filter, then save that as a transparent gif, and bob's your uncle is it?

Try applying the filter to a vector shape rather than to a selection.
              Make the canvas the same color as the background you'll be placing it
              on. Make the shape white. Export in GIF or PNG 8 format, with index
              transparency, and selecting white as your transparent color.

--
              • 4. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
                multichild Level 1
                Hi,

I was pleased to see you had replied by the time I got home, and quickly set to it, to see if I could do it.

But I followed as you said, and selected the vector shape tool, and created a rounded rectangle. I went to the filters, selected Alien Skin Splat LE (with the vector still selected) and then choose Torn Paper in Edge Mode, played with the settings, and clicked go and a pop up came up saying it will change this vector to a bitmap, so I agreed and in the final output I couldnt see any change at all to the vector/bitmap.

Im sorry if I'm wasting your time, but I think I did do the right things.

Lee
                • 5. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
                  multichild Level 1
                  I have noticed that a 'Buy Now' button appears in the Alien Skin Splat box, will his mean that I will have to purchase it to get any results?

thanks again

Lee
                  • 6. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
                    Level 7
                    multichild wrote:

> Hi,
                    >
                    > I was pleased to see you had replied by the time I got home, and quickly set
                    > to it, to see if I could do it.
                    >
                    > But I followed as you said, and selected the vector shape tool, and created a
                    > rounded rectangle. I went to the filters,

Instead of using filters from the main menu, click on the add Live
                    filter button [+] on the property inspector.

--
                    • 7. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
                      Level 7
                      multichild wrote:
                      > I have noticed that a 'Buy Now' button appears in the Alien Skin
                      > Splat box, will his mean that I will have to purchase it to get any
                      > results?

No, it's just there to entice you to buy the full version. The included
                      Lite version works just as it is.

--
                      Stéphane Bergeron
                      reach : connect : communicate
                      http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                      blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                      http://www.pixelyzed.com
                      • 8. Re: Rip effect area in gif format
                        multichild Level 1
                        Hi all,

Im really sorry but I just dont seem to be able to get this working, but I can get it to work by using the marquee tool.

I select a vector shape, make the outline the same colour as the canvas, and the fill - white.

Then with the shape still selected I use the '+' button in properties to go to the Aline Skin filter and apply the settings, and nothing happens.

But if I do it with a marquee, go to filters and apply the filter it works!

Am I being stupid here?

Cheers again

Lee