6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 4:49 AM by JoeKostoss

.lrcat

Brami

Hi everyone

I have been using lightroom now for a few years. I have my .lrcat file on an external drive and when I open up lightroom i have my EDrive connected. Everything has been working great. I am going travelling on Monday and am taking my laptop, but would like to take a smaller external drive - not the one with all my photos. I just want to edit the photos that I took and I think it's a risk travelling with my entire catalogue.  Any advice on what to do would be great?  Do I create a new .lrcat file on a new EDrive? Thanks

• 1. Re: .lrcat
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you have already installed LR on your notebook and opened it then it has created a separate catalog file on the notebook internal drive. You can then copy the images you take to your external and import them into LR on the notebook. No need to copy your original catalog over to the smaller external or to the internal drive of the notebook.

• 2. Re: .lrcat
            JoeKostoss Level 4

Assuming that you will want to eventually put these new photos on your large HD at home and that you will want to use the same older catalog, here is what I would do.

Copy the LR catalog from your large HD to your small HD.

Open this catalog from your Notebook. 

Download all the new images while on the road and do your editing. 

When you get back at home, plug in both HDs

Move the new images from inside LR to the larger HD. 

Backup (Copy) the latest catalog with all the new images to the larger HD.

Disconnect the smaller HD and open LR with the updated catalog on your larger HD

You should now be back to normal with all the old images and all the new images on one HD and one Catalog.

By the way, I hope you do have your larger HD with all the images and the catalog backed up to another HD or to the cloud!  You do know that all HDs will eventually fail.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: .lrcat
              Brami Level 1

Thanks i think i know what you mean. When you say copy the LR catalog - i created a backup on the smaller HD and there is now a .lrcat file there. Is this the same as copying - or is that just a backup?

In regards to this

Do you mean just drag and drop all the new photo folders with the RAW files and the exported files from my small HD to the big HD?

Also can I ask you a sort of related question. When I did do a backup for the first time and this .lrcat file was created on the smaller HD i was suprised that the photos themselves were not backedup - just the .lrcat file.  Is this how it is meant to be? What if the photos on my BIG HD are lost?

• 4. Re: .lrcat
                Brami Level 1

Thank you.  Joe has also sent a reply - so between the two of you I think i am sorted now. Thank you.

• 5. Re: .lrcat
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Brami wrote:

Also can I ask you a sort of related question. When I did do a backup for the first time and this .lrcat file was created on the smaller HD i was suprised that the photos themselves were not backedup - just the .lrcat file.  Is this how it is meant to be? What if the photos on my BIG HD are lost?

When LR backs up its catalog, just the catalog is all that is backed up by LR.  Your photos do need to be backed up, but you need to do that independently of LR.

• 6. Re: .lrcat
                    JoeKostoss Level 4

Brami wrote:

Thanks i think i know what you mean. When you say copy the LR catalog - i created a backup on the smaller HD and there is now a .lrcat file there. Is this the same as copying - or is that just a backup?

In regards to this

Do you mean just drag and drop all the new photo folders with the RAW files and the exported files from my small HD to the big HD?

The backup on your small HD is the same as copy.

Yes, drag and drop is correct, BUT, this must be done from inside LR, not by using your OS.  If you use your OS (Windows Explorer or Finder on a Mac). LR will lose track of the images and they will show as missing.  If that happens, you will have to reconnect them inside LR.

Backing up LR is just that, a backup of the catalog, preview files, records of modifications made in the Develop Module, etc.  It does not back up your images on the HD.  If the photos on your big HD are lost, then they are gone forever!  You do not want this to happen! To backup the photos, you need to copy them to another location, either another big HD or to storage on the cloud.  This is done outside of LR.  I am on a Mac; I use a program called Super Duper which creates a clone of my HD to a second HD.  It is programed to do this every Sunday.  There are other similar programs for a PC, or you can use an Internet backup by opening an account.  There are several, Mozy Home, Dropbox, Carbonite, among others.  They require a subscription.