2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2007 5:58 AM by robowriter

Bug in Multi-File Search and Replace in RH6?

robowriter
      I'm using the 6.0 trial, and one thing I want to be able to do is to replace the variables I put in using JavaScript with the new feature variables in 6.0. So, I went in to multi-file search and replace, and searched for:

<script language=JavaScript>document.write(varProduct)</script>

I copied this code directly from a topic, and pasted it into the Search tool.

I don't even care whether I can successfully copy the code from my new variable for use as the replacement text; I'd be happy if the multi-file search would simply find all occurrences of my original code so I don't miss any during conversion to 6.0.

It keeps coming up as not found, and this concerns me greatly. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known bug? Does anyone have a workaround?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Bug in Multi-File Search and Replace in RH6?
          RoboWizard Level 4
          Hi robowriter

I'm assuming you are using the wondrous little applet known as Multi-File Find and Replace.

Unfortunately, this little beastie is like a cat. It frequently has a fussy tummy and loves to hork up furballs. Well, not exactly. Really what it does is fail to properly handle anything with a line break. So you need a tool that does do this. Fortunately, one exists! It is called FAR (Find And Replace). Oddly enough, it was also written by a fellow Microsoft Help MVP named Rob Chandler. (Rob lives in Australia)

You can download a trial version of FAR from the FAR page. Click here to visit the FAR page

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Bug in Multi-File Search and Replace in RH6?
            robowriter Level 1
            Your assumption is correct, Rick. Oddly, in an earlier test, Multi-File Find and Replace actually found the string. After a RoboHelp crash, however, it stopped finding the same string. I'll definitely check out FAR, though.

As usual, I certainly appreciate your help!

Cheers back...Carol