8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2007 4:04 PM by Newsgroup_User

Prevent SWF files from being decompiled back into FLA format

Ng_Jackie
      Some programs such as Sothink SWF Decompiler may be used to decompile the SWF files back into FLA format. Even the ActionScirpt inside the SWF files can be decompiled as well! No one can even tell the difference between the original FLA file and the compiled FLA file! What can we do to prevent this from happening? I heard that we may protect the SWF files by using ActionScript Obfuscator. Is it true? How to do that? Please help, I must do something on it.
        • 1. Re: Prevent SWF from being decompiled back into FLA
          Level 7

Ng Jackie wrote:
          > Some programs such as Sothink SWF Decompiler may be used to decompile the SWF
          > files back into FLA format. Even the ActionScirpt inside the SWF file can be
          > decompiled as well! No one can even tell the difference between the original
          > FLA file and the compiled FLA file! How can we do to prevent this from
          > happening? I heard that we may protect SWF files by using ActionScript
          > Obfuscator. Is it true? How to do that?

It's not true. SWF can't be protected.
          There are companies trying to sale products claiming they can protect SWF
          file, don't fall for that.
          In order to protect the file they jam the code and name of variables and functions.
          This however does not go w/o consequence. There is only how much you can mess the
          file up before the player will be unable to run it. Very risky games if you do that.
          One of the tools that was doing that, produced files which stop working with next
          player upgrade. From version 7 to 8. Than you just can't open it anymore.
          Secondly, as soon as such tool appear, the producers of decompilers provide antidotes.
          Upgrades with work around for the protection.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

!!!!!!! Merry Christmas !!!!!!!
          &
          Happy New Year

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Prevent SWF files from being decompiled back into FLA format
            Ng_Jackie Level 1
            Yeah! I've found out that we may use ActionScript Obfuscator to protect ActionScript inside the SWF files! Here is the website:
            http://www.genable.com/aso.html
            • 3. Re: Prevent SWF from being decompiled back into FLA
              Ng_Jackie Level 1
              Thanks for telling me that.
              Well, I cannot understand this part:
              quote:

There is only how much you can mess the
              file up before the player will be unable to run it. Very risky games if you do that.
              One of the tools that was doing that, produced files which stop working with next
              player upgrade. From version 7 to 8. Than you just can't open it anymore.

Can you explain one more time? Thank a lot.
              • 4. Re: Prevent SWF files from being decompiled back into FLA format - SPAM?
                Level 7
                This smells of a spam post .. asking a dummy question then answering
                yourself so you can place a link to the product you want to sell.
                --
                Jeckyl

• 5. Re: Prevent SWF files from being decompiled back into FLA format
                  Artful_me
                  Obfuscators are dangerous. They alter the strings used in the AS (turning them into something non-readable) .. those string can be variable names, method names, class names, strings etc etc. It really is impossible to always tell from a SWF whether a given string is a variable name or a literal string or what. Beacuse of that, thaey can very easily stop AS from working .. and sometimes the bugs they generate are obscure and difficult to find and fix.

Some SWF file 'protectors' also do so by generating illeage SWf files that just happen to work with a given version of the player .. but can just as easily fail to work in subseqent ones.

Overall, its a dangerous game to play.
                  • 6. Re: Prevent SWF files from being decompiled back into FLA format
                    Ng_Jackie Level 1
                    Oh, I see! It seems that we can only do nothing for it.
                    Another question, does Macromedia Flash 9 will be released soon?
                    I saw from somewhere before, talking about the ActionScript 3.
                    Is it true? In the next version of Flash, is Adobe Company going to improve its security?
                    And this problem will be solved in next release or not?
                    • 7. Re: Prevent SWF from being decompiled back into FLA
                      Level 7
                      If you are building an exe you can use mProjector and it will encrypt
                      your swf, not obfuscate it anythinglike that, much more secure.

--
                      John Pattenden
                      Screentime Media - Flash Tools since 1997
                      http://www.screentime.com

• 8. Re: Prevent SWF files from being decompiled back into FLA format
                        Level 7
                        There is not much that can be done to improve it, without making SWF a
                        closed format that noone but Adobe can produce.

AS3 will (for a short while) be safer. because it uses completely different
                        compiled code. However, it is still de-compilable (once people start
                        updating/.rewriting their decompilers), so any security from the change in
                        compiled format will be short lived.
                        --
                        Jeckyl