4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2007 10:55 PM by Newsgroup_User

please HELP me!

zummy
      Hi,

I really could use someone's help because I'm totally confused. The director project that i created works perfectly when I use it within Director. If I save it as a HTML file it creates a "HTML" file along with a ".drc" file. These files I upload to my website and then it no longer works like its supposed to. Can anyone give me a clue as to why this is happening.

Also, the files work pefectly if I run them on my computer, once they are uploaded to my website they are not. What is going on??? THANK YOU!!!
        • 1. Re: please HELP me!
          Level 7
          Hi Zummy,

When you play your HTM file with the DCR on your local computer , does it play
          properly?
          Could you give us more info on what you mena by 'it doesn't work like it's supposed
          to'? Is content not loading? Are you getting errors? Do you see the DCR loading? Is
          your project just a single DCR?

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 2. Re: please HELP me!
            zummy Level 1
            Hi Dean,

Thanks for your reply. Its just so strange because if I play it on my local computer its completely error free just like when I play it inside Director, but when I upload it to my website. It just doesnt function properly, the project I created is for a third grade class. It has a piggbank and coins. There is a speciic value that shows and the students have to insert that value into the piggbank. If it goes over the amount there is a message that is given to the students indicating this.

When its uploaded to the website, this function is completely lost. I need to show this to this class by next week and I have been looking at this code and everyting and cannot find anyting wrong. Its just so fustrating when it works properly.

When it is shown in the website, no error is given, basically I keep putting coins into the piggybank and if it goes over or if the correct amount is inserted nothing happens!! I dont know what to do, any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again for replying.

The DCR is loading fine, no errors and yes its only one DCR.
            • 3. Re: please HELP me!
              Level 7
              Hi Zummy,

Could you provide the URL for me to check? If there's an issue in making the URL
              public, email me at d.utian@unsw.edu.au

If you'd like, you could also email me the files and I could take a look to se if I
              can see anything odd.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 4. Re: please HELP me!
                Level 7
                "zummy" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
                macromedia.director.lingo:

> I need to show this to this class by next week and I have been looking
                > at this code and everyting and cannot find anyting wrong.

You might want to post some of it just so a fresh set of eyes can see if
                there's something you missed. Remember that we haven't seen one line of this
                code.

> When it is shown in the website, no error is given, basically I keep
                > putting coins into the piggybank and if it goes over or if the correct
                > amount is inserted nothing happens!! I dont know what to do, any advice
                > will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again for replying.

It's good that you describe what is expected to happen and what doesn't
                happen. But descriptions of the project almost never provide enough
                information for other Director users to help. We're all here to learn/help
                with Director and Lingo, so it's easier when we use the Director terms that
                we have in common.

Still, if your code that checks "If it goes over or if the correct amount is
                inserted" [that definitely wasn't Lingo :-) ] is functioning, you might want
                to check the code that is supposed to make "a message" appear.

What, in Director terms, is this message? #text member? #field member? Alert?
                Other _________?

Can you show a snippet of the code that presents this message?

What have you done so far to troubleshoot the problem?

Have you tried a simple test movie that performs that action?

Have you done any debugging? This is harder in SW, but you can still sprinkle
                alerts in the code or add a field member and fill it with values in
                variables, results from functions, etc.

There are other means for debugging SW including bringing up a Message
                Window, but let's start with some of the basics.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)