5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2007 9:44 PM by Newsgroup_User

Compatibility with Adobe GoLive?

melissa_v
      I have made a navigation bar in Flash, and have referenced it into an Adobe GoLive frame of a site. The movie works fine, but I would like to set the menu items (made in Flash) to open pages in a frame of this GoLive document. You might think I'm crazy for using GoLive but I really have my reasons, I promise! Any ideas about some ActionScript Code, or just what to do??
        • 1. Re: Compatibility with Adobe GoLive?
          Level 7

melissa_v wrote:
          > I have made a navigation bar in Flash, and have referenced it into an Adobe
          > GoLive frame of a site. The movie works fine, but I would like to set the menu
          > items (made in Flash) to open pages in a frame of this GoLive document. You
          > might think I'm crazy for using GoLive but I really have my reasons, I promise!
          > Any ideas about some ActionScript Code, or just what to do??

It's not crazy, we all have "reasons", preferences or plain , bottom line fetish :)
          Anyway, in order to target frame you will need to give that frame some name. Use
          something unique to avoid reserved words like "mainFrame", "frame" etc....
          Call it Melissa_frame or SpongeBob, anything. Than in flash, while you set up
          your getURL action, type off hand that frame name in the "window" box.
          Test it online, might not work locally due to changes in browser and player security
          features.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--

!!!!!!! Merry Christmas !!!!!!!
          &
          Happy New Year

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Compatibility with Adobe GoLive?
            melissa_v Level 1
            quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

melissa_v wrote:
            > I have made a navigation bar in Flash, and have referenced it into an Adobe
            > GoLive frame of a site. The movie works fine, but I would like to set the menu
            > items (made in Flash) to open pages in a frame of this GoLive document. You
            > might think I'm crazy for using GoLive but I really have my reasons, I promise!
            > Any ideas about some ActionScript Code, or just what to do??

It's not crazy, we all have "reasons", preferences or plain , bottom line fetish :)
            Anyway, in order to target frame you will need to give that frame some name. Use
            something unique to avoid reserved words like "mainFrame", "frame" etc....
            Call it Melissa_frame or SpongeBob, anything. Than in flash, while you set up
            your getURL action, type off hand that frame name in the "window" box.
            Test it online, might not work locally due to changes in browser and player security
            features.

Thanks for responding - I'm a little new at Flash, though, so I have a couple questions. When you say, "type off hand that frame name in the 'window' box," what exactly to you mean? I understand how to write the getURL action, but I'm not sure exactly how to incorporate this frame (named in GoLive, correct?).
            • 3. Re: Compatibility with Adobe GoLive?
              Level 7

> Thanks for responding - I'm a little new at Flash, though, so I have a couple
              > questions. When you say, "type off hand that frame name in the 'window' box,"
              > what exactly to you mean? I understand how to write the getURL action, but I'm
              > not sure exactly how to incorporate this frame (named in GoLive, correct?).

type off hand - flash getURL action does not actually give you the option
              to choose frame name. In the place where you define the parameters like
              _blank or _top, you need to type by hand the frame name. That's what I
              mean by off hand.

regular looking action:
              getURL(" http://yahoo.com", "_blank");

your action:
              getURL(" http://yahoo.com", "FrameNameHere");

When comes to HTML frames. Each frame has a name, id and page source
              that loads within that frame. That's the standard html:

<frame src="mainPage.html" name="mainFrame" id="mainFrame" title="mainFrame" />
              <frame src="bottomFrame.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize" id="bottomFrame"
              title="bottomFrame" />

Now, names like mainframe are reserved so you do not want to use it in your
              frames.
              Give these frames different names, for example "melissa_v"

<frame src="mainPage.html" name="melissa_v" id="melissa_v" title="My Main Page" />
              <frame src="bottomFrame.html" name="melissa_bottom" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize"
              id="melissa_bottom" title="Some title, not required" />

your action target melissa_v frame would be:

getURL(" http://yahoo.com", "melissa_v");

Understand better ?

--
              Best Regards

Urami

--

&
              Happy New Year

<urami>
              </urami>
              • 4. Re: Compatibility with Adobe GoLive?
                melissa_v Level 1

type off hand - flash getURL action does not actually give you the option
                to choose frame name. In the place where you define the parameters like
                _blank or _top, you need to type by hand the frame name. That's what I
                mean by off hand.

regular looking action:
                getURL(" http://yahoo.com", "_blank");

your action:
                getURL(" http://yahoo.com", "FrameNameHere");

When comes to HTML frames. Each frame has a name, id and page source
                that loads within that frame. That's the standard html:

<frame src="mainPage.html" name="mainFrame" id="mainFrame" title="mainFrame" />
                <frame src="bottomFrame.html" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize" id="bottomFrame"
                title="bottomFrame" />

Now, names like mainframe are reserved so you do not want to use it in your
                frames.
                Give these frames different names, for example "melissa_v"

<frame src="mainPage.html" name="melissa_v" id="melissa_v" title="My Main Page" />
                <frame src="bottomFrame.html" name="melissa_bottom" scrolling="No" noresize="noresize"
                id="melissa_bottom" title="Some title, not required" />

your action target melissa_v frame would be:

getURL(" http://yahoo.com", "melissa_v");

Understand better ?

You are my hero. I seem to have a boss who thinks I am capable of things I am not. I got it to work except, just wondering, do you know why it might not work in FireFox? It's not a crisis and I can try to get that under control later.

Seriously, you have been a HUGE help!
                • 5. Re: Compatibility with Adobe GoLive?
                  Level 7

> You are my hero. I seem to have a boss who thinks I am capable of things I am
                  > not. I got it to work except, just wondering, do you know why it might not work
                  > in FireFox? It's not a crisis and I can try to get that under control later.
                  >
                  > Seriously, you have been a HUGE help!

Could you upload sample on line and provide url ?
                  Let me check to see first whether it's your end problem or general firefox issue.
                  Will go from there.
                  Meantime some key things to remember.
                  Test online, not locally.
                  FireFox unlike IE has separate plug in. IE uses ActiveX while firefox uses Plug ins.
                  You might have different versions installed making the file act differently.
                  Make sure you have identical version in both.

--
                  Best Regards

Urami

--

&
                  Happy New Year

<urami>
                  </urami>