28 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 6:25 PM by A.T. Romano

disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12

moebiusbean

I'm creating a video with Premiere Elements 12. I have video clips as well as still images and separate narration tracks to bring together in it. Thing is, the program isn't showing the photos, although I can hear the narration. Any solutions for this? The media were newly imported, so they are definitely linked properly. I also tried moving them up to video track 2, but same outcome.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

moebiusbean

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system?

Please clarify .... you say that you have video clips and still images. Are you saying that you can see Timeline video image displayed but not Timeline photo image displayed?

Please described how your track content is aligned

Video Track 1  video portion of video audio file + photos

Audio Track 1   audio portion f video audio file

Narration Track .....narration clip

Can you hear the audio on Audio Track 1 as well as the narration on the Narration Track?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed and are you running the programs as administrator?

Please review and explain further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
            moebiusbean Level 1

Hi ATR,

I'm using a 64-bit windows system with Windows 7 as an operating system.

I am trying to use both video clips and still images in this edit, and I have a separate narration track (in the narration slot, not audio 1) to embed under the still images. The issue that I'm having with the still images is that they flash on screen for a second or less (if at all) and then the screen goes dark while the audio plays. I have tried the audio in the narration and audio 1 tracks with the same results. When I tried to move the still images to the video 2 track, same thing:  a blank screen.

The narration track is not overlapping the audio from the video clips. Basically, I have a few video clips in video track 1, then I placed several still images and laid the narration file in the narration track. There's a gap after this right now before I go back to other video clips.

I could create an audio slideshow separately to import into Premiere, but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Zoe

• 3. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the pixel size of the stills?

They may be too large and need to be resized.

• 4. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                moebiusbean Level 1

Thanks Bob. That's a good thought, but the largest one is 1900kb, and most of them are a few hundred kb, so I don't think that's the issue.

• 5. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12

Not the file size, but the pixel dimensions.

For example:  1200 pixels X 4200 pixels.

• 6. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                    moebiusbean Level 1

Some of them are 2592x1950

• 7. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12

Resize them. they are probably too large.  What is the sequence size?  Are you doing any panning and zooming?

• 8. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                        moebiusbean Level 1

I'll try resizing them, but no, no panning or zooming.

• 9. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12

What is the sequence size?

• 10. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                            moebiusbean Level 1

I'm not sure what that means.

• 11. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12

Sorry, I'm speaking in Premiere Pro out of habit, not Premiere Elements.

What are the properties of the project (the video size in pixels)?

Make your stills slightly larger than that.

• 12. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

moebiusbean

This does not present to me as a  pixel dimensions nor Timeline duration photo issue.

I would rule in or out Still Image Default Duration before getting involving with alternatives.

1. Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and Still Image Default Duration. The default is 150 frames. What do you see listed

there? Do you see listed 150 frames (which is 5 seconds in a 30 frames per second system)?

2. Please go to Project Assets and the thumbnails for the photos. The duration of the file represented by the thumbnail is shown below

the image in the thumbnail. The default readout is 00;00;05;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames). Is the reading for 5 seconds or much much less?

If you open a new project and just import these problem photos, how do they import and how do they present when viewed in the Edit area monitor?

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12

A.T. Romano wrote:

nor Timeline duration photo issue.

You may have misunderstood me.  I meant the pixel size of the video on the timeline, not the duration of the timeline.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to resize the stills,  as it may improve performance or decrease export time.

• 14. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                    moebiusbean Level 1

Hi ATR,

All the photos seem to have a 5 second length. Creating a new project and bringing the photos into it hasn't solved the issue. The preference setting for the still images default duration is 150.

Now a Quick Time Movie that I imported as part of the timeline is acting similarly to the still photos. That is, the audio is fine, but the image flashes only briefly on the screen before leaving the screen blank.

I tried shutting the program and re-opening it. Same issue. I tried re-importing the video clip, and now it won't let me import it at all.

• 15. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

moebiusbean

Please clarify. Are the video files affected in this issue or just the photos?

ATR

• 16. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                        moebiusbean Level 1

Now the problem is affecting both the video that I've added, which was shot using a cell phone and is in Quicktime Movie format, and the still images. The other video clips, that I imported from youtube, are fine.

• 17. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe

Please confirm if you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 12/12.1? Are your running the program as administrator?

At the present time, your problems are extending to video (that QuickTime movie) as well as your photos. Let us go through the following drill questions

1. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

2. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

3. Are you working with a pen and tablet device instead of mouse?

4. Are you using any high contrast Windows 7 themes?

Depending on your answers, the next steps might be

1. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole

12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders,

and Drives enabled so that you can see the whole path cited.

2. Uninstall the program, do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - Download

Then download and install the 12.1 Update from an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

Let us rule in or out the above factors.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

moebiusbean

I just saw your post 16 after I had post 17.

Your mention of this QuickTime movie coming from a cell phone introduces another variable into this problem.

Cell phone video is typically recorded with a variable instead of a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements can have

problems with that, ranging from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The typical fix for that issue is to take the cell phone video into the free HandBrake to convert the variable to a constant frame rate and then import the export from HandBrake into Premiere Elements.

This variable frame rate issue would not be expected to impact the original photo problems.

For the remainder of the troubleshooting, I think it would be a good idea to focus on correcting the photo issue first in the absence of the video.

So, going back to my post 7, do the tests with just photos in a new project. And, go through the steps suggested.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                              moebiusbean Level 1

Hi ATR,

OK. I'll try the HandBrake solution for the cell phone video. I've already tried creating a new project with the photos, but the same thing is happening.

Sorry to ask you the steps again, but do I go back to the things you suggested in comment 17 and just see where that gets me?

• 20. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

moebiusbean

Please go through the steps in post 17.

Thanks.

ATR

• 21. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                  moebiusbean Level 1

Hi ATR,

I don't believe I'm using a high-contrast Windows 7 theme. The resolution is set to the recommended setting:  1600 x 1200.

The graphics card is the most recent version (2011).

I'm working on a desktop with a mouse.

There was an out-of-date anti-virus program, which I deleted.

The Premiere Elements folder doesn't have a sub-folder marked 12. There is on marked 32, but it doesn't include anything for prefs. There is also a Presets folder, but I don't want to delete that without making sure it's the right one.

Clearly, this is complicated. Any suggestions on next steps?

• 22. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe

Let us factor in or out the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. The answer one way or another would direct us in the troubleshooting. It should be there.

Prefs.jpg

If you follow the path in the header of the screenshot, do you not find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

in the 12.0 Folder?

Also

Please remind me, have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

Could you post a screenshot of the Timeline content in which the photos are not displaying? Please open all the tracks so that

we can see what is in the tracks  Maybe position the Timeline Indicator on one of the photos in the Timeline.

Have you posted a screenshot in your posts before? If not, please refer to the following

The specified item was not found.

Thanks. Do not give up.

ATR

• 23. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                      moebiusbean Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for all the support. There is no prefs file in the folder, unfortunately, and I haven't upgraded to 12.1, but I'm doing that now.

Here is a screen shot of editing screen.

screen shot Premiere.png

In this shot, you can see that the cell phone video is showing a blank screen. Below is a screen shot with the cursor on the photos.

screen shot on photos.png

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing this for work, so I have to figure out how to get it done!

• 24. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Zoe

As I suggested previously, lots of variables. So, let us first try in a new project to iron out the details to get photos to display.

Sorting through the troubleshooting is getting complicated by:

a. photos do not display

b. some movie files do display

c. movie files from the cell phone do not display

Thanks for the screenshots very helpful. Based on them, I am forced to think in terms of the video card/graphics card that the computer is using. If you go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Devices and Printers/Device Manager and look under Display Adapters, what cards are named there? And, what is the driver version and dating for the card under the Driver Tab for the card?

As a double check for the integrity of the QuickTime install, please go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and let us know if there are QuickTime presets given there for the Presets field choice.

But, I had a way out idea for this. Click to select one of the Timeline photos that will not display. Then go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded. Look to the Position property there. There are two fields for the Position. What are the values in those fields?

Please let us know if there were any gains updating from 12 to 12.1.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...the absence of an Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is of concern but let us move forward on the above for the moment. We will move back to that later.

If you go to Expert workspace Help Menu/do you see a Sign In or Sign Out next to your email address?

• 25. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                          moebiusbean Level 1

Hi ATR,

The driver is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family version 8.15.10.2598. It's dated Dec. 15, 2011.

There don't seem to be any QuickTime presets, and, in fact, QuickTime doesn't show up anywhere in the publish to web or other fields.

When I tried updating Premiere, I got a message that the dynamic link manager was creating a problem, and it looks like it didn't update successfully. I'm going to try updating again after I find out how to disable the dynamic link manager while the update runs.

Looking at the Applied Effects tab, it looks like at least some of the photos which aren't showing up at all or flash on the screen very, very quickly are positioned at 960.0 and 540.0.

I'll update you again as soon as I figure out how to turn off the dynamic link manager.

Thanks again.

• 26. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                            moebiusbean Level 1

And yes, my email is listed next to the sign out command on the help menu.

• 27. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                              moebiusbean Level 1

Hello again,

The program did update to 12.1. Also, I tried rendering the timeline, and that seems to have resolved all the problems. So, I'm not sure what was going on, but it looks like I'll be able to finish the video now.

Thanks for all your help.

Best,

Z

• 28. Re: disappearing still photos in Premiere Elements 12
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Z

Great news. Great job.

Rendering the Timeline content to get the best possible preview is helpful but I have not run into the situation where Timeline rendering made the difference for media visibility. Stability yes, but visibility? But, your report is good information to have. It may have been a combination of factors that resulted in the problem resolution.

But the important news is that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements project and will be able to finish it. Always great news.

If this should happen again (hope not), please let us know. And, we will look deeper into the whys.

Best wishes

ATR