5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 1:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Unlink Audio & Video greyed out in Premeire Elements 13 (Windows 8.1) [new user]

garryw40009217

I posted (or at least I thought the post worked) this question Mar.27th but I can't find it or any replies I may have gotten so if anyone knows its whereabouts I'd appreciate you're telling me how to see it so I won't have 2 threads running for the same question. My question is: why is the option to unlink the audio and video tracks greyed out when I'm trying to substitute part of an audio clip (without ruining the synchronization between the existing audio and video). I'm working with a saved "projectX.prel" file. I noticed when I opened a new project that the UNLINK option is active. This seems contrary to logic i.e wouldn't the unlink action be more likely to be needed when working on an existing file as opposed to when working on a brand new file? How can I separate the 2 components (audio & video) so I can edit just the audio clip without the UNLINK procedure working? Would really appreciate any help anyone can offer with any of the foregoing. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Unlink Audio & Video greyed out in Premeire Elements 13 (Windows 8.1) [new user]
          A.T. Romano Level 7

garryw

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Have you updated from 13 to 13.1 yet? If not, please do so using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

But for the immediate question....

I see no signs of a prior post from you so I am not sure what happened to your prior sending.

When you import a file that contains both video and audio, they come into Premiere Elements project linked - video portion presenting on

Video Track 1 and the audio portion presenting on Audio Track 1.

If you want to unlink the audio from the video

a. Select/highlight the Timeline file and go to Clip Menu/Unlink Audio and Video and click on it. It does work.

or

b. Right click the Timeline file and, from the pop up menu, find and click on Unlink Audio and Video.

or

c. Hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and click drag the audio away from the video.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unlink Audio & Video greyed out in Premeire Elements 13 (Windows 8.1) [new user]
            garryw40009217 Level 1

ATR: thanks for the really prompt reply.

Re: Ver. 13.1 - my trial version must have downloaded as 13.1 or else it updated the first time I opened it and I don't remember seeing it happen. Thanks for mentioning that point.

Re: Suggestion A - when I open the Clip Menu the option is "Link Audio & Video" - not "Unlink" them - and this option is greyed out - even though the "ENABLE" is ticked "on".

Re: Suggestion B - still same result as I got originally - i.e. the "Unlink Audio & Video" is greyed out (no response when I click on it) - even though the "ENABLE" switch is ticked "on".

Re: Suggestion C - that worked!!

This operation seems really basic - I can't see what I might be doing wrong in order for it not to work (obviously) so could it be a glitch in 13.1 that nobody else has picked up on yet? If anybody reading this thread has any suggestions please post away. Thanks.

ATR - I forgot to click on "Correct Reply" before starting my reply to you so I'll try to figure out how to do that after I post this message. (This has to be one of the most user unfriendly forums I've ever used!!)

• 3. Re: Unlink Audio & Video greyed out in Premeire Elements 13 (Windows 8.1) [new user]
              A.T. Romano Level 7

garryw

Thanks for the reply. Glad that suggestion C worked for you.

Is there any remote possibility that the video and audio are really unlinked to start.

Let us take suggestion A, you say that Link Audio and Video is active choice for what you believe to a linked video audio on the Timeline.

You have your clip in the Expert workspace and the clip is not selected as represented in screenshot 1.

Clip 1.JPG

If you click on the Video 1 portion of the clip, does the video portion and audio portion highlight to look like what you see in screenshot 2

where the video and audio portion both look highlighted.

Clip2.JPG

Or, if you click on the Video 1 portion of the clip, is it just the video portion that looks highlighted and the audio part

continues to look unhighlighted? As seen in the next screenshot 3?

Clip3.JPG

Depending on your answers, we may next delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which can be found

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which  you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

As your schedule permits, looking forward to learning of your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unlink Audio & Video greyed out in Premeire Elements 13 (Windows 8.1) [new user]
                garryw40009217 Level 1

ATR: thanks again. You made the light bulb come on in my head. You were right about the clips not being linked in the first place. I played around with highlighting and un-highlighting video and audio timeline clips and discovered that if they are not linked I must highlight one and then hold down the shift key and highlight the other, then click on "Clip" in the upper toolbar and then the "Link Audio and Video" option will be available so I can select it and then the 2 timelines will be linked. Because of the result I thought I got in my very first attempt at editing an audio clip I assumed the clips were linked. Either this action (using the shift key to highlight both clips when they are unlinked) is not covered in any of the tutorials (or reference guide) or else I missed it. Thank you for your insight and helpful suggestions. This will not likely be my last posting about something not working the way I expect it to in using this video editor!

• 5. Re: Unlink Audio & Video greyed out in Premeire Elements 13 (Windows 8.1) [new user]
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

garryw

Great news. Great job of working through the troubleshooting to move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thank you for pointing out your observations as you progressed. That will be helpful to all in a similar situation seeking

answers.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification. We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR