5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 5:26 AM by Evelc

Can't Get Soft Proof and Printed Photo to Match

Tangram_ca

I have LR 4.4 and I am outputting to an Epson StylusPro 3880. Up until a few days ago I had great success in getting my prints to match my soft proofs. I am using Epson inks, Epson paper and an Epson ICC profile.

Things were great until I upgraded to Yosemite and updated the printer driver to work with Yosemite.

My prints are now looking like they are using a smaller color gamut, as the vibrancy is gone. Pink skin tones are now pinky brown and so on.

Why am I posting on a LR forum? Because I was controlling the color management from LR and getting poor results.

I then let the printer manage color and voila, I got a much closer printed rendition of my soft proof.

However, I like the control I get from using profiles and using LR to control the color management.

Any suggestions on what has gone "wrong" with my setup? Since I can get good color when the printer is managing color, I have to assume that this is a LR problem.

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Can't Get Soft Proof and Printed Photo to Match
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might want to do two things. First is to delete the printer in System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners (hit the minus) and then to reconnect it by hitting the plus. Second is to not use a user template in the print panel but to manually do all the setup of the printer. Also go through all the Print Settings and Page Setup and make sure that in the Color Matching tab the settings are greyed out and you only see ColorSync selected in grey.

• 2. Re: Can't Get Soft Proof and Printed Photo to Match
            Evelc

Dave,

I have exactly the same problem, my only difference being I was printing to an R2880 from LR5. My R2880 died and I "upgraded" to a 3880 with the same "muddy" colours (using Printerevlauationimage_V002_ProPhoto.tiff). I too can approach the soft proof by using the printer to manage the colours but feel this is going backwards!

- I have purged (Epson uninstaller) and re-installed the drivers

- I have reset the printing system and re-installed the drivers

- run the ColorSync Utility and tried the ICC profiles prior to repairing them and post repairing them

- tried Epson Ultra Premium photo paper luster, Canson Baryta, Canson Platine (all with muddy colours)

Community - we cannot be the only ones battling  - hep please

regards

Cleve

• 3. Re: Can't Get Soft Proof and Printed Photo to Match
              Evelc Level 1

I should add that I have upgraded to Yosemite and LR CC in between

• 4. Re: Can't Get Soft Proof and Printed Photo to Match
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you by any chance using a preset in the printer panel? These tend to retain some crud on printer driver settings that can mess this up when you upgrade system and/or driver. Just a thought.

• 5. Re: Can't Get Soft Proof and Printed Photo to Match
                  Evelc Level 1

Hi Jao

I did see reference to the user profiles so attempted with a blank sheet with no change in the output.

It did occur to me last night that I am running Yosemite 10.10.4. A developer release ahead of the common release which is at 10.10.3. So ill change that today in order to eliminate this as a potential. Issue

so still working on the problem.

I Thank you for taking the time to reply.

regards

Cleve