4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 8:56 AM by oakandleaf

Multi-level lists not reading properly in NVDA

oakandleaf

I have a document that is basically a giant multi-level list. The problem is the screen reader is not recognizing the lists properly, if there is a hard return it will read "out of list" when really it's just continuing on to a separate paragraph. The whole document has a list with 27 items with sub-bullet levels underneath many of these items.

Attached are screen shots of portions of the document and tag tree. I am creating this in indesign. Any one have any idea of how to format this properly? We've tried multiple solutions but none seem to be working. I don't know if this is just a limitation of the program or if we are doing something incorrectly. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 9.32.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 9.32.32 AM.png

• 1. Re: Multi-level lists not reading properly in NVDA
          olafdruemmer Level 2

The way you have tagged the content, there are two lists with one item each, not on nested list.

On this background I'd say NVDA's behaviour is correct.

To fix your tagging structure you will have to put the two <P>s inside the first <LI> tag, and have the second <L> (including its substructure) follow the LI (such that it becomes its sibling)

Seeing you are using placeholder text, I am wondering why you haven't provided your dummy PDF - then it would have been possible to provide back a version of your PDF that should work well.

Olaf

• 2. Re: Multi-level lists not reading properly in NVDA
            oakandleaf Level 1

Olaf,

Thank you for your quick response. I didn't attach the pdf as I only filled a small portion with the dummy copy. I'm assuming you are suggesting to adjust this in acrobat, unfortunately we are looking for a solution that would fix this in indesign (if this is even possible) so that we would not have to adjust the file every time it is updated after exporting to a pdf (considering we update these files frequently and have to be quickly turned around). But I suppose if this is our only option is is worth a shot.

Thanks again for your help!

Beth

• 3. Re: Multi-level lists not reading properly in NVDA
              olafdruemmer Level 2

Hi Beth,

the limitation in InDesign that's probably the show stopper here is that once a list is "interrupted" by paragraphs that are not list items, the list structure "breaks", and is split into pieces.

As far as I can see there is no way you can have a list item that is more than one paragraph - not in InDesign, but also not in Microsoft Word, and probabvly also not in HTML. So while tagged PDF's syntax is rich enough to accommodate list items consisting of more than one paragraph, no authoring tools exist to create them…  (or, if such tool exist, I'd love to learn about them!)

Olaf

• 4. Re: Multi-level lists not reading properly in NVDA
                oakandleaf Level 1

Olaf,

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the confirmation, let's just hope that someone develops a tool for that in the near future .

Beth