The way you have tagged the content, there are two lists with one item each, not on nested list.
On this background I'd say NVDA's behaviour is correct.
To fix your tagging structure you will have to put the two <P>s inside the first <LI> tag, and have the second <L> (including its substructure) follow the LI (such that it becomes its sibling)
Seeing you are using placeholder text, I am wondering why you haven't provided your dummy PDF - then it would have been possible to provide back a version of your PDF that should work well.
Thank you for your quick response. I didn't attach the pdf as I only filled a small portion with the dummy copy. I'm assuming you are suggesting to adjust this in acrobat, unfortunately we are looking for a solution that would fix this in indesign (if this is even possible) so that we would not have to adjust the file every time it is updated after exporting to a pdf (considering we update these files frequently and have to be quickly turned around). But I suppose if this is our only option is is worth a shot.
Thanks again for your help!
the limitation in InDesign that's probably the show stopper here is that once a list is "interrupted" by paragraphs that are not list items, the list structure "breaks", and is split into pieces.
As far as I can see there is no way you can have a list item that is more than one paragraph - not in InDesign, but also not in Microsoft Word, and probabvly also not in HTML. So while tagged PDF's syntax is rich enough to accommodate list items consisting of more than one paragraph, no authoring tools exist to create them… (or, if such tool exist, I'd love to learn about them!)
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the confirmation, let's just hope that someone develops a tool for that in the near future .