Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Build Tags randomly working

May 11, 2006 May 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experienced randomly working build tags using X5?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but they didn't work like I expected. Build expressions have to be set up to exclude the topics you don't want, rather than include the topics you do. With multiple expressions using tags at the topic and text levels, what I got looked random until I switched my build expressions to "NOT B AND NOT C" instead of "A AND D".

If this isn't your problem, could you share some symptoms? Where do you see the randomness? Does it affect the TOC/Index/Search functions? Are you using overlapping text tags? (Which work fine, but I have a little trouble with where the WYSIWYG tab applies them - I have an itchy trigger finger, I guess.)

Oh, yeah - are you building over a network? Is it different when you run from your hard drive vs. the server? (Or does it even let you get that far?)

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to use include-exclude logic, I ran into trouble.

For example,

Include A and B but not C or D. (And include all unrmarked items.) This could be expressed in the advanced box as:

A AND B AND NOT C AND NOT D

This does not work for me.

NOT C and NOT D (And include everything else, marked or not)
This seems to work.

In other words, use "exclude" arguments only.

I will gladly yield to anyone who has made include-exclude work right.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies.

I'm using NOT A and NOT B. But some of the topics I'm excluding are still showing when generated.

I've tried re-assigning the tags and then regenerated and recreating the topics (only a few to test—my project has over 10,000 topics and I'm trying to have two functional builds).

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing issues.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still showing when generated, huh? 10,000-plus topics?

I know all I'm giving you is more questions, but here goes anyway -

- Still showing from where? From the TOC? or only when searched for?

- Do any links to the topics work after generation?

- I will assume that all your A and B tags are applied at the topic level. Text-level would be too easy. Is there anything funny-looking in the TrueCode tab - possibly in the header?

- 10K is a lot of topics. Could your browser cache be choking? Could you be looking at an old cached webHelp build because it won't cache the new one?

- Is it possible that there's a publication problem? Perhaps the output folder isn't getting entirely cleaned out. What happens when you create a brand-new folder on your hard drive and set that for your output folder in the Generate wizard (page 1)?

- You are aware that you can reassign a topic-level tag by highlighting a bunch of topics in the Topics list and doing a mass Properties assignment? Have you tried creating a totally new tag (C) and reassigning it to a set of the previously A topics, then generating a NOT C build? (With a copy of the project folder, of course.)

None of this sounds very plausible, even to me, but when WebHelp displays, there are so many places for problems to arise because of the server/client/browser interplay. Maybe one of these dumb questions will strike an intelligent spark in you.

Good luck,
Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2006 May 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for throwing out some possible issues.

- Still showing from where? From the TOC? or only when searched for? - from the generated toc.

- Do any links to the topics work after generation? - yes.

- I will assume that all your A and B tags are applied at the topic level. Text-level would be too easy. Is there anything funny-looking in the TrueCode tab - possibly in the header? - topic level.

- 10K is a lot of topics. Could your browser cache be choking? Could you be looking at an old cached webHelp build because it won't cache the new one? - This is the most likely scenerio.

- Is it possible that there's a publication problem? Perhaps the output folder isn't getting entirely cleaned out. What happens when you create a brand-new folder on your hard drive and set that for your output folder in the Generate wizard (page 1)? Testing now.

- You are aware that you can reassign a topic-level tag by highlighting a bunch of topics in the Topics list and doing a mass Properties assignment? Have you tried creating a totally new tag (C) and reassigning it to a set of the previously A topics, then generating a NOT C build? (With a copy of the project folder, of course.) - yeah, I've reassigned several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 12, 2006 May 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I found a post about WebHelp and the browser cache that might be helpful - click here.

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp