4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2007 6:03 AM by DIY_Lobotomy

Complicated issue...

DIY_Lobotomy Level 1
      Okay, this issue may be complicated, so I'll give you the basics, and then you can ask questions accordingly to try and troubleshoot...

Basically I made a multiple choice test from scratch. It is all on one timeline, where each frame is a question. In the first frame, there is some code that randomizes the order that the questions are displayed (so each time a user enters the quiz, it will look different)...

I was having problems with the scoring not being accurrate, so I added variables to troubleshoot the problem. One is a "current score" and one is a "total possible" (that updates every question). Because at the end, I just divide the "total correct" by the "possible" to get the final score. Here's the problem...

As I go through the test, the "total" and "possible" text fields that i use to troubleshoot will sometimes randomly start going askew. But it's always on different questions, and always at different places. There's no "set" question that this happens on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

I've put the test (with the troubleshooting textfields to look at) on a webserver for you to see what's going on. Unfortuantely, due to the nature of how this was all built, I need to post the whole course (and not just the test). Here's the link, and below is how you can skip right to the final test that I'm speaking of:

http://al-i.anixter.com/TEMP/NCS/copper/mod2/index2.html

To get to the final, click the red bar near the top-right that says "SCS AND SYSTEM COMPONENTS". A menu will appear, and you can scroll down to the bottom of it to "FINAL EXAM"...

Everytime you hit the "next" or "previous" buttons during the exam, the "total correct" should update. Some questions have more than one correct answer, so the "total correct" will not ALWAYS just increase by only 1...

I understand that none of you will probably know the correct answers. I don't either, to be honest (this is built for someone else). But to test, I just try an answer, and if the "temp score" doesn't increase, then I know it was the wrong answer. Hit "previous" and guess again...

If you want to re-start the exam (shuffle the questions and reset everything), just use that pop-up menu and re-select "FINAL EXAM" again...

This will all make a lot more sense once you click the above link and actually check it out. Please let me know what else you'd need from me to troubleshoot this, cuz it's been driving me nuts how it's "disfunction" is always so random...

Thanks!...
        • 1. Re: Complicated issue...
          MotionMaker Level 1
          "As I go through the test, the "total" and "possible" text fields that i use to troubleshoot will sometimes randomly start going askew. But it's always on different questions, and always at different places. There's no "set" question that this happens on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't..."
          1. Askew could be better defined and data results documented as expected versus actual. I tried this and was not sure what to look for.
          2. Some possible thoughts are: incorrect data types; same variable names used for different purposes, functions call due to unexpected or unwanted events such as moving from frame to frame calls a function that should only be called once for the frame.
          • 2. Re: Complicated issue...
            DIY_Lobotomy Level 1
            Thanks for writing back. Here's more specific things that are happening, and hopefully this'll help your understanding...

The "Temp Score" (total you've gotten right so far) and "Temp Correct" (total possible points so far) at the bottom of the Final Exam are two fields that I added just for troubleshooting. So, pay most attention to those. All questions in the Final Exam should increment the "Temp Correct" by 1, except for two questions. You'll see one matching question that should increment it by 6 (cuz there's 6 matching choices, for a potential 6 correct responses) and also there's one question that you can choose two correct answers, and that would obviously increment the "Temp Correct" by two...

The "Temp Correct" sometimes doesn't increment properly. So, the possibility exists to get MORE than 100%, because if you get all the questions right, you'll get one number (say, 14), but the "Temp Correct" would say only 13. Getting 14 correct points out of 13 POSSIBLE points doesn't really make much sense. So, that's one problem. And again, as you play around you'll see that the errors ocurring in the "Temp Correct" variable do not occur on the same question everytime - it's very random, which makes this troubleshooting REALLY confusing!...

Less frequently is a problem in the "Temp Score". That seems to work fine (so, you can use THAT textbox to figure out what the correct answers should be). When you hit "submit", the temp score should increase if you're right. If it doesn't increase, click "Previous" and try a different answer. OCCASIONALLY the "Temp Score" will mess up, but rarely...

Did that answer ANY of your questions or help out at all, or no???...
            • 3. Re: Complicated issue...
              MotionMaker Level 1
              Despite the randomness, it appears to be programming related or at least that is where I would look.

Could be a scripting error such as
              -- incorrect data types;
              -- same variable names used for different purposes,
              -- functions called due to unexpected or unwanted events such as moving from frame to frame calls a function that should only be called once for the frame.
              -- timers not cleared

or it could be logic errors where the code is unintentionally doing exactly the wrong process perfectly - quote that :-).
              • 4. Re: Complicated issue...
                DIY_Lobotomy Level 1
                Nevermind - figured out what was wrong...

Once I got one question working properly, I just cut-and-pasted the code for all the other questions. I thought I commented out every variable that needed to be changed when creating a new question off the copied-and-pasted code, but I missed a variable. Caught it, though...

...thanks for all your input!