34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 6:47 AM by thedigitaldog

If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

LouDeVico

If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

• 1. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom will store files with layers. But you won't have access to the layers in Lightroom. You will be necessary for you to reopen the image in Photoshop to have access to the layers.

• 2. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

JimHess wrote:

Lightroom will store files with layers. But you won't have access to the layers in Lightroom. You will be necessary for you to reopen the image in Photoshop to have access to the layers.

And to add, if the image has layers and you make edits in LR, you'll have to end up with an iteration that has no layers from that edit. IOW, LR will produce a flattened version with it's edits since it doesn't support Layers. Keep that in mind IF you use anything within Develop on said layered files.

• 3. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

So my workflow for layered files is that they will remain with their layers If there is additional work to be done in Photoshop. If I save an image with layers I try to reopen it in Photoshop and finish my work there before I do any more work in Lightroom.

• 4. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JimHess wrote:

So my workflow for layered files is that they will remain with their layers If there is additional work to be done in Photoshop. If I save an image with layers I try to reopen it in Photoshop and finish my work there before I do any more work in Lightroom.

Same here. I only us LR on layered images for printing and such, never any develop module work. That's all done before Photoshop or layers enters the workflow.

• 5. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Of course, you could always create a virtual copy if you want to continue work in Lightroom. Then you could retain your file with layers in case you need them again.

• 6. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JimHess wrote:

Of course, you could always create a virtual copy if you want to continue work in Lightroom. Then you could retain your file with layers in case you need them again.

I'm not sure how useful that would be. Your layered image would not enjoy that LR edit and the VC would produce a new file without layers. Better than a poke in the eye but better still, make a strong workflow path after which parametric editing in LR is finished, pixel editing in PS starts and continues on.

• 7. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                      JoeKostoss Level 4

If you make LR adjustments to the layered psd file, it is possible to go back to PS.  In the dialog that pops up before PS opens, be sure to select "Edit Original".  The original file will open in PS with all the original layers intact, but without the LR adjustments being visible.  After finishing the work in PS, hit Save, NOT Save As, and the image will return to LR with the new PS edits and the previous LR edits reapplied to that new file.

• 8. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JoeKostoss wrote:

If you make LR adjustments to the layered psd file, it is possible to go back to PS.  In the dialog that pops up before PS opens, be sure to select "Edit Original".  The original file will open in PS without the LR adjustments being visible.

Right, the LR adjustment isn't applied, what good is that? It's the same as just asking LR to locate the file and double clicking on it. You could have applied a dozen LR adjustments, you'll get none, you will get the layered file.

• 9. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                          JoeKostoss Level 4

It is very useful.  If you take a raw file, adjust it in LR and then send it to PS where you can make layered adjustments, then back to LR.  Once in LR you may decide that it needs a lower exposure and perhaps some clarity.  Then you may be ready to print, but you notice that the adjustments you made in PS are not exactly what you wanted, so you can go back to PS,  You will not see the latest LR adjustments on the psd file (Exposure & Clarity in this example) but you can make the PS corrections on the layers; when you get back to LR, the corrected psd file will then return with the exposure and clarity already applied.

• 10. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JoeKostoss wrote:

It is very useful.  If you take a raw file, adjust it in LR and then send it to PS where you can make layered adjustments, then back to LR. 

Yes.... With you so far.

Once in LR you may decide that it needs a lower exposure and perhaps some clarity.  Then you may be ready to print, but you notice that the adjustments you made in PS are not exactly what you wanted, so you can go back to PS,  You will not see the latest LR adjustments on the psd file (Exposure & Clarity in this example) but you can make the PS corrections on the layers; when you get back to LR, the corrected psd file will then return with the exposure and clarity already applied.

I'm lost on this workflow. You have a raw, fine. You render it and move into PS. If you add layers, and since you're done with the raw, adding more adjustments there don't and can't apply to the rendered layered image you started with.

The bottom line is LR doesn't support layers. If you have them and go back and edit that data in LR, you lose your layers if you want that LR edit.

BTW, the reason you don't 'see' the LR adjustment is because none exist in that layered PSD! It's in the LR database and will sit there until you ask for a new iteration. That could be from the raw (layers are moot) or from a layered file (layers disappear). The original layered file isn't touched nor altered. The new file of course has the edit but no layers.

• 11. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                              JoeKostoss Level 4

It does work:

The original psd file out of PS shows up as a psd file grouped with the raw file.  If you make LR adjustments to that psd file and then go back to PS, selecting Edit Original File, you will not see the latest LR adjustments on the psd file in PS, but they are still there in LR.  After making PS adjustments on the layers; when you get back to LR, the corrected psd file will then return as that same psd file, not a new edited copy.  There may be one more step that I forgot.  If you go to history, it will still show all the history steps; but you will have to select the last LR adjustment that was made on the psd file.  All those adjustment will now appear on the corrected psd file. You have not lost all the LR work by going back to PS in this manner.

• 12. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

I didn't mean to imply that the layered image would benefit. I'm just saying that if you have the layered file to a point that you want to work on it in Lightroom, you could create a virtual copy. Then you could continue with your layered image if needed.

• 13. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JimHess wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that the layered image would benefit. I'm just saying that if you have the layered file to a point that you want to work on it in Lightroom, you could create a virtual copy. Then you could continue with your layered image if needed.

You don't even really need a VC but it could be useful. Again, the layered file isn't touched. In essence you are creating a VC when editing that layered document in LR because if you want to see the edits outside of LR, you'll have to render a new iteration. The edits are applied on top of a flattened 'version' of the original and a new document is created (with LR edits, without layers). The layered file is left alone, the edits are in the catalog. I agree a VC is cleaner but it isn't a must.

• 14. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

It seems that you have missed the point of what I was trying to explain. But it doesn't matter. I won't tax your thinking anymore.

• 15. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JimHess wrote:

It seems that you have missed the point of what I was trying to explain. But it doesn't matter. I won't tax your thinking anymore.

I guess so.

Bottom line for the OP. You can have layered PSD or TIFFs referenced in the LR catalog. If you try to further edit them there, you either get the edit and lose the layers or keep the layers and lose the edit. Either with or without a VC (the creation of a VC alone guarantees the edits you apply will destroy the layers as we knew them in that VC). Layered files in LR are not touched but then that's true of all it's files undergoing an edit there. The results of the edits are an iteration of original!

• 16. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JoeKostoss wrote:

If you make LR adjustments to that psd file and then go back to PS, selecting Edit Original File, you will not see the latest LR adjustments on the psd file in PS, but they are still there in LR.                

Yes, they are there in the LR database and not that PSD.

After making PS adjustments on the layers; when you get back to LR, the corrected psd file will then return as that same psd file, not a new edited copy. 

Yes, you made an edit to the PSD in Photoshop on the layers so of course the edits shows up there. That's a PS not an LR edit! As soon as you apply an LR edit, the only way to see it is to render a new document and you lose the layers in that new iteration.

You can edit any rendered image in LR, with or without layers, no debate. The edit is applied to a new document (the iteration) and that new document out of LR can't have layers. You can have layers or you can have an LR edit but you can't have both depending on the order of the edits and layers.

All those adjustment will now appear on the corrected psd file.

Yes but none of the ORIGINAL layers!

• 17. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Huh. I do this all the time. I edit in Photoshop, add layers to the image there and save with layers. Then back in Lightroom I might do some minor tweaks. Now I notice that I didn't do a perfect job on one of my layer edits in Photoshop. I just send the file to Photoshop, select "edit original" and do my extra edit with all the layers intact (but my LR edits not visible). Then I hit save and Lightroom reloads the file, applies the edits it had in the database and I have the image with both layers and LR edits. No extra copy was created and my layers are intact. Of course you won't see the Lightroom edits while editing in Photoshop so you have to keep those in the back of your mind, but they are still there. Not ideal, but it does work.

The best way to do this though is to load in Photoshop as a smart object and do all your subsequent raw rendering edits on the smart camera raw object and never touch it in Lightroom anymore after that.

• 18. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When editing camera raw image files all of the mentioned caveats apply. But if the original source file is a TIFF then there's no reason why you can't apply changes in PS using layers AND apply Develop and other adjustments to the same layered TIFF file inside LR. This is the workflow I use with film scanner image files:

1) Crop, Dust Removal, etc. in PS

2) Open in LR and apply Develop and other adjustments

3) Edit In Photoshop> Edit Original

4) Apply other destructive pixel editing such as content aware fill

5) Readjust Develop and other settings in LR

You can't see the LR adjustments from inside PS, but for spot removal, content aware fill, etc. that's not an issue. It's all in the division of tasks.

If you really want to edit a camera raw file in both PS and LR/ACR then use Edit In> 'Open As Smart Object in Photoshop,' but it will inflate the file size significantly!

Update

Just noticed I cross-posted with . So that's two of us who use this workflow!

• 19. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                              JoeKostoss Level 4

This is more complicated than I expected:  I had to go back to LR to check what I did previously. Here is what I found.  I hope this helps to explain what can be done.  You can have both layers and LR adjustments; you just cannot see the layers in LR nor can you see the LR adjustments in PS.  The good news is that they are both there and can be changed as needed.

1. I have a photo (Raw) of a blue jay sitting on a branch with the background out of focus.
                                              2. I made many of the usual LR edits such as exposure, contrast, whites, blacks, sharpening, etc.
                                              3. I wanted to print it as a Birthday Card so I sent it to PSCC 2014 as a smart object.
                                              4. In PS, I added a type layer "Happy Birthday"
                                              5. Back in LR, I now have a psd Happy Birthday file stacked with the original raw file.
                                              6. I made some LR adjustments to the psd file such as crop to a different aspect ratio and add a vignette.
                                              7. I printed the psd file on a folded card.
                                              8. Later I wanted to use that same image as a anniversary card.
                                              9. I told LR to edit that same psd file in PSCC 2014, this time not a smart object, but selecting "Edit Original".
                                              10. PS opened with the "Happy Birthday" type layer intact and with the smart object background layer.  Of  course, the LR edits, crop and vignette on the psd file were not visible in PS.
                                              11. I clicked the eye of the Happy Birthday to render it invisible.
                                              12. I added a new "Happy Anniversary" type layer.
                                              13. Saved the new revised psd file and returned to LR.
                                              14. In LR, I still have only 1 psd file stacked with the original raw file, but now it says Happy Anniversary. Note: sometimes it may take a few moments for the new PS edits to appear.  By selecting another image and then reselect this psd file tends to speed this rendering of the new image.
                                              15. I now have a new card ready to print just as before with all the LR edits originally made on the birthday card including the LR edits, crop and vignette made on the original psd file.
                                              16. If I send that psd file a third time to PS, I still have the smart object layer, and both type layers.  I can add a 3rd type layer "Happy Easter" if I so desire and return to LR.
                                              17. Again, the crop and vignette are seen in the one psd file in LR.
                                              18. So...yes, I can have both layers AND LR adjustments including the original raw adjustments through the smart object background.

Edit, After posting I see 2 others use the same workflow.

• 20. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Jao vdL wrote:

Huh. I do this all the time. I edit in Photoshop, add layers to the image there and save with layers. Then back in Lightroom I might do some minor tweaks. Now I notice that I didn't do a perfect job on one of my layer edits in Photoshop. I just send the file to Photoshop, select "edit original" and do my extra edit with all the layers intact (but my LR edits not visible). Then I hit save and Lightroom reloads the file, applies the edits it had in the database and I have the image with both layers and LR edits. No extra copy was created and my layers are intact.

In the above scenario you have a layered document from PS, understood, fine. You apply an edit to it in LR, fine. You even see that edit in LR (fine again). Now you want an actual image document for use OUTSIDE of LR. How do you get the layers and the LR edit in one document?

You can take a layered file and add edits in LR but those edits will only be accessible in LR for say a print and of course, the layers are not. You take layered file into PS,  you're LR edits are not there. Not until you render them which kills the layers in the iteration. Yes or no? I'm not sure why we continue down this rabbit hole unless someone can tell me how to take a layered PSD or TIFF, apply edits to it from Develop and get out both that edit and the layers.

You could make a VC of the layered file and apply an edit, render that and open the original layered doc, add this new iteration to the layer stack but I doubt that will work out that well considering the reasons for the original PS layers.

As for Smart Objects, we just painted ourselves into a corner without LR. I don't really see the point anyway, all you've achieved is embedding a new raw into the PS doc. You could have just applied the edits in LR, rendered the image and stuck with a LR workflow.

Jao vdL wrote:

Of course you won't see the Lightroom edits while editing in Photoshop so you have to keep those in the back of your mind, but they are still there. Not ideal, but it does work.

No, they really are not there and that's why you don't see them. It's just a pile of text, instructions awaiting rendering from the LR engine. It's like using the PS text tool and writing Vibrance +9. You may have specified that edit but it's not happening at that stage. You have to render that into new data and boom, there goes your layers.

• 21. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                                  JoeKostoss Level 4

OK, I see your point thedigitaldog, you cannot create a single file with both for use in another application.  I was trying to respond to the OP.  He seemed to think that if he made any adjustments in LR to a layered file, everything was cast in concrete and he had no options to recover.  I will end with this.

• 22. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JoeKostoss wrote:

This is more complicated than I expected:  I had to go back to LR to check what I did previously. Here is what I found.  I hope this helps to explain what can be done.  You can have both layers and LR adjustments; you just cannot see the layers in LR nor can you see the LR adjustments in PS.  The good news is that they are both there and can be changed as needed.

1. I have a photo (Raw) of a blue jay sitting on a branch with the background out of focus.
                                                    2. I made many of the usual LR edits such as exposure, contrast, whites, blacks, sharpening, etc.
                                                    3. I wanted to print it as a Birthday Card so I sent it to PSCC 2014 as a smart object.
                                                    4. In PS, I added a type layer "Happy Birthday"
                                                    5. Back in LR, I now have a psd Happy Birthday file stacked with the original raw file.

Fine and as yet, no ADDITIONAL LR edits AFTER rendering right?

1. I made some LR adjustments to the psd file such as crop to a different aspect ratio and add a vignette.
                                                    2. I printed the psd file on a folded card.

So far so good, you're still in LR. LR can take the new edits made there AND the layers and spit out a print. Nothing new or special here.

1. Later I wanted to use that same image as a anniversary card.
                                                    2. I told LR to edit that same psd file in PSCC 2014, this time not a smart object, but selecting "Edit Original".

You got your original layered file. Nothing new or special here.

1. PS opened with the "Happy Birthday" type layer intact and with the smart object background layer.  Of  course, the LR edits, crop and vignette on the psd file were not visible in PS.

Because they don't exist there! They will when you render them.

1. I clicked the eye of the Happy Birthday to render it invisible.
                                                    2. I added a new "Happy Anniversary" type layer.
                                                    3. Saved the new revised psd file and returned to LR.
                                                    4. In LR, I still have only 1 psd file stacked with the original raw file, but now it says Happy Anniversary. Note: sometimes it may take a few moments for the new PS edits to appear.  By selecting another image and then reselect this psd file tends to speed this rendering of the new image.

So where in all this is the LR edits you produce AFTER up created the layers after opening the layered doc in PS?

1. I now have a new card ready to print just as before with all the LR edits originally made on the birthday card including the LR edits, crop and vignette made on the original psd file.

And as far as I can tell, all those edits were applied in PS AFTER rendering.

If I send that psd file a third time to PS, I still have the smart object layer, and both type layers.  I can add a 3rd type layer "Happy Easter" if I so desire and return to LR.

Again, the crop and vignette are seen in the one psd file in LR.

So...yes, I can have both layers AND LR adjustments including the original raw adjustments through the smart object background.

No, you have a layered file and you have instructions but the layered file isn't rendered with those instructions and doing so would flatten the results.

• 23. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

JoeKostoss wrote:

OK, I see your point thedigitaldog, you cannot create a single file with both for use in another application.  I was trying to respond to the OP.  He seemed to think that if he made any adjustments in LR to a layered file, everything was cast in concrete and he had no options to recover.  I will end with this.

Bingo!

• 24. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

No, you have a layered file and you have instructions but the layered file isn't rendered with those instructions and doing so would flatten the results.

maybe were are talking cross purposes here but in this workflow the tiff/psd never gets flattened. If you take the file in Lightroom you can always do "edit in Photoshop" edit original and see all your layers. They never get baked in or flattened. This is the best you can get with this. Your layers always stay editable and your LR adjustments never get baked in. It's not ideal but then again we all want the proverbial pony.

The fundamental problem of course is that the imaging models in Lightroom and Photoshop are incompatible, philosophically and practically so you will not be able to see your Lightroom edits and edit the layers at the same time without major changes to the way these programs operate. This is even true for the smart object workflow. As soon as you go into camera raw on the base layer, you won't see the effect of the subsequent layers until you go out of camera raw.

• 25. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Jao vdL wrote:

maybe were are talking cross purposes here but in this workflow the tiff/psd never gets flattened.

Nor does it get the LR edits in reality UNLESS you print it or build a web gallery etc within LR, in which case, LR or PS, it's going to the driver flattened. If you want LR edits baked into any kind of document, you lose your layers. That was what I attempted to clarify for the OP in my very first post. Because if you have layered files and you want to apply LR edits after creating them, and you expect to get access to a document you can use outside of LR, you get to pick: you get layers or the edit, you can't have both.

The fundamental problem of course is that the imaging models in Lightroom and Photoshop are incompatible, philosophically and practically so you will not be able to see your Lightroom edits and edit the layers at the same time without major changes to the way these programs operate.

Yes, the models are vastly different and that's why we need ACR or LR to create an RGB document from raw data in the first place. And it's why we don't see the parametric edits in Photoshop proper (they really are not there). You want em? You have to render them. You render them, say good by to the layers in that new doc with the LR edits. This is what I was attempting to warn the OP about.

• 26. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Nor does it get the LR edits in reality UNLESS you print it or build a web gallery etc within LR, in which case, LR or PS, it's going to the driver flattened. If you want LR edits baked into any kind of document, you lose your layers. That was what I attempted to clarify for the OP in my very first post. Because if you have layered files and you want to apply LR edits after creating them, and you expect to get access to a document you can use outside of LR, you get to pick: you get layers or the edit, you can't have both.

But this is true for every single file in Lightroom. There is nothing special about layered photoshop documents in that respect. Every file that has Lightroom edits has to be rendered/flattened to be printed, exported, slideshowed, etc. in order to have the Lightroom edits visible.  The unrendered/unflattened documents are simply useless outside of Lightroom/ACR, regardless of what kind of file they are - be they raw, jpeg, tiff, flattened psd/tiff or layered psd/tiff. You can export a layered photoshop file "as original" from Lightroom and you'll get the layered file with xmp metadata. That is of course useless outside of Lightroom/ACR. In the same way, you can save a standard raw file as "original" and you'll get the untouched original file but with an xmp sidecar. Neither of these are useful but for Lightroom/ACR.

• 27. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Yes, the models are vastly different and that's why we need ACR or LR to create an RGB document from raw data in the first place. And it's why we don't see the parametric edits in Photoshop proper (they really are not there). You want em? You have to render them. You render them, say good by to the layers in that new doc with the LR edits. This is what I was attempting to warn the OP about.

Indeed. I should have read further because you say the same thing here as what I said above.

• 28. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Jao vdL wrote:

But this is true for every single file in Lightroom. There is nothing special about layered photoshop documents in that respect.

But the potential workflow issues is vastly different and why I made my first post about it to the OP.

You have a JPEG. You apply a parametric edit. It's just not there unless you render it (or access it within LR). You can open either and both are still of course flat. Not the case with a layered document. Edit it in the incorrect order, you get to now decide: continue working with the layered doc or, work with the new edited doc which got flattened because the user applied that one little edit. In terms of a workflow, that one 'mistake' can really cause some grief.

• 29. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                                                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jao vdL wrote:

The fundamental problem of course is that the imaging models in Lightroom and Photoshop are incompatible, philosophically and practically so you will not be able to see your Lightroom edits and edit the layers at the same time without major changes to the way these programs operate. This is even true for the smart object workflow. As soon as you go into camera raw on the base layer, you won't see the effect of the subsequent layers until you go out of camera raw.

A new twist on this is Linked Smart Objects in PS CC.

It's a bit trickier to set up than it needs to be (maybe a DIY action or script could help?), but from LR you open the raw/dng as a smart object, then right click the layer in PS and choose Convert to Linked. You're then prompted to save the smart object layer, and if you're feeling brave you can just save it over the original raw/dng, or alternatively you can temporarily save to the desktop, then right click the smart object layer and use Replace Contents to point it to the original raw/dng.

Now you can save your TIF and carry on PS work as normal with adjustment layers or whatever. If you then want to make raw adjustments, you adjust the original raw/dng in LR and always remember to save the metadata back to the file. Whenever you switch to your TIF file in PS, it checks for these metadata changes and updates the linked smart object accordingly. So you can have the TIF open in PS, mess around with your layers, tab back to LR to fix a dust spot or CA or whatever, and tab back to PS

With a smart object workflow, are those changes really so major?

• 30. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                                                    Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well you guys looks like you've successfully scared off the OP by arguing amongst yourselves trying to outpoint each other...

Please read this...

And the correct answer is.... YES.

• 31. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?
                                                                      LouDeVico Level 1

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the response and what I need to watch out for.

• 33. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

Geoff the kiwi wrote:

Well you guys looks like you've successfully scared off the OP by arguing amongst yourselves trying to outpoint each other...

Please read this...

And the correct answer is.... YES.

What an unexpected (from you) silly statement! The OP asked a question and got a lot of good information. You assume he got scared off which is kind of dumb if you believe the old saying about assumptions. I see no arguments but your post, the first here that has nothing to do with the topic could start one!

I've spent a lot of time in various forums, it's rather common for an OP to ask and move on, or for the discussion to move directions and I see nothing wrong with it.

And yes, the correct answer was provided before your first post here!

• 34. Re: If I go to PS and add layers can I bring the photo with layers back to Lightroom?

john beardsworth wrote:

With a smart object workflow, are those changes really so major?

For a LR user, yes. For an ACR user, no.

I suspect Adobe could if they really, really, really wanted, could make some kind of call between ACR and LR so this LR limitation could work better/easier and more intuitively. Could we have two raw (which is what that SO really provides), link them, work on one within layers after a call to ACR and have the other in LR update? Is it worth the engineering time and money? For me, no. For others maybe. I just work very hard on a workflow that starts in LR with raws and that raw processing ends before a layer is ever created. It can be limiting and some work. But you're reading text from a fellow that worked for years in PS without layers (I started on version 1.0.7).