17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 9:29 AM by jakher1927

Preset problem

jakher1927 Level 1

I added some presets for B & W and now when I open a file in Library the photos start changing to the preset B & W from Color.

I then go to History and delete the preset and to the next pic and it then happens again

What is going on here and how do I stop it?

By the way how do I get rid of any presets installed?

Herman Jakubowski

• 1. Re: Preset problem
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you may have applied a B&W preset during the import process using the "develop settings".

To permanently remove a preset from LR, go to the presets directory and delete the preset file.

Note: this is probably not a solution to your current problem.

• 2. Re: Preset problem
            F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you by accident have the preset set to be applied upon import?

When exactly does the preset apply itself? What do you mean with "open a file"?

• 3. Re: Preset problem
              jakher1927 Level 1

ManiacJoe

I am sorry if I was not clear so let me provide some more details as to what is happening.

I loaded 3 B & W presets and wanted to see the impact they would have on a photo.  As the presets are loaded into the Library module I went to the first file which happened to be a collection and selected a photo.  I added the preset and looked at it and did not like it so I tried another and then the third.  When I was done I went to the Develop module history to eliminate these presets and noticed that in my film strip subsequent photos where having the last preset applied - color to the B & W preset.  I was confused so went back to the presets and set the default to the normal position - no presets.  If I go into the file to correct a preset adjusted B  & W back to color subsequent photos will be changed to B & W.

I hope this clears up what is happening.

Herman Jakubowski

• 4. Re: Preset problem
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

At the right panel in the Develop module make sure 'Auto Sync' is NOT selected:

Changes made to the highlighted current image are applied to ALL selected images. Click on the switch icon to change it back:

• 5. Re: Preset problem
                  jakher1927 Level 1

I checked and the Auto Sync is not selected.  Problem persists as when I go into the my Collection and select the file I want and open it color photos get the preset applied even thought I have removed the presets.  I am at loose now and hope someone can help.

Herman

• 6. Re: Preset problem

Herman, removing (i.e. deleting) the B&W preset that was applied to the images in the collection will not remove the Develop settings it applied to the image files. You will have to remove the settings applied to each image file individually using History OR create an "undo" Develop preset and apply it to all of the images using Sync.

To create an Undo Develop preset you need to determine what settings the B&W preset applies. The simplest way to do this is select any image file and Reset it (CTRL + SHIFT + R). Apply the B&W preset and look down ALL panels in the Develop module and write down the panel names where settings are now applied. Next Reset the image and create a new Develop preset named Undo 'B&W NAME' preset, select Check None, and then check only those Settings that the B&W preset applies, click Create. Try it on one image and verify it works properly. To apply the Undo preset to the remaining images select them and set the 'Sync' button to 'Auto Sync.' Apply the Undo preset to the highlighted white image file and then return the 'Auto Sync' button back to 'Sync.'

• 7. Re: Preset problem
                      jakher1927 Level 1

I appreciate your advice but let me be clear that subsequent images in the folder that I open in the Library then get the B W preset applied.  All I have done is open the folder and it continues to change from color to BW.  Doing what you ask does not seem like it will stop this from happening.  I know how to go in and backtrack on History but that is not my problem.

Herman Jakubowski

Sent from my iPad

• 8. Re: Preset problem

Is this happening to ALL folders or just the image files in one specific folder? Please tell us what B&W presets you downloaded and installed that appear to be causing this issue and provide a URL link.

In the Library module navigate to a folder that has the B&W issue and select one of the B&W image files. Go to the Quick Develop panel below the Histogram. Is there a 'Saved Preset' selected? If so select ALL of the image files in the folder (CTRL+A) and change 'Saved Preset' to 'Default Settings.' You can also use the 'Reset All' button to remove ALL Quick Develop settings.

If still not resolved reset your LR Preferences file. This is one of the first things to try when unexplained things occur.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/recover-catalog-images-resetting-lightrooms.html

Rather than delete the file simply rename it by adding the extension .OLD. Restart LR and see if the behavior has changed. If the issue is not resolved close LR, delete the NEW preferences file and remove the .OLD from the original file.

OS X

com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist.OLD

Windows

Lightroom 5 Preferences.agprefs.OLD

• 9. Re: Preset problem
                          jakher1927 Level 1

trshaner

In response to your questions this is what I have found:

1. It is not happening to other folders - it is only happening to the one I had tried to add the preset to2. I have attached file with the presets to this e-mail3. When I went into the Quick Develop and made the changes you recommended the same thing is still occurring.  I am having color pics being changed to B & W

I will get into the Preference file later.

Thanks for your help

Herman

• 10. Re: Preset problem

Herman, please provide a URL link to the site where the presets were downloaded, or upload the presets to Dropbox and provide the download URL share link here. Please provide any other information you have concerning the origin of these presets if unavailable on the Web.

• 11. Re: Preset problem
                              jakher1927 Level 1

You can find it at www.hackingphotography.com

• 12. Re: Preset problem

I downloaded and tried all three of the B&W presets with no issues. I'm still not sure I understand what's happening on your system. When you select the folder with this issue are the image files in color and then they change in the Library module Grid view to B&W? If so is it one at a time, please explain in detail? If you reset the Develop settings on an image file in that folder does it revert back to B&W? A screenshot of the Library module would help.

Please try the Preferences file reset as the next step.

• 13. Re: Preset problem
                                  jakher1927 Level 1

Yes to the first questionYes it is one at a time.  You can see on the filmstrip each once changing from color to bwWhat I have done is gone into the history of each photo and selected the last one before the bw preset and it all seems to be ok nowI have also removed the presets from Hacking

Thank you for your help

Herman Jakubowski

• 14. Re: Preset problem

jakher1927 wrote:

Yes it is one at a time.  You can see on the filmstrip each once changing from color to bw

It sounds like you inadvertently applied the B&W preset to all images in that folder. What you are seeing is LR building the preview for each image with the B&W preset. Please check your Import module and make sure 'Develop Settings' does NOT have one of the B&W presets selected. Other than that you should be OK.

• 15. Re: Preset problem
                                      F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I already asked this some days ago ... seems not to be the issue.

• 16. Re: Preset problem

trshaner wrote:

Please check your Import module and make sure 'Develop Settings' does NOT have one of the B&W presets selected. Other than that you should be OK.

I wanted to make sure the OP checked for that, set it to 'None,' and understood that may have been the cause. It could also have been applied after Import with any number on methods, which we will never know.

• 17. Re: Preset problem
                                          jakher1927 Level 1

Thank you for all the help

Herman

Sent from my iPad