1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 3:13 AM by cc_merchant

What RAID storage system should I use?

Nighthorns

To set the stage here. I'm somewhat of a newbie to the video industry. I've worked as a videographer for a non-profit for 5 years. At that job, we just skimped by on what we could afford, which wasn't much. I just started a new "professional level" job for a school district and have been given the keys to a fairly substantial budget to get whatever I need to do the job.

I want to do right by them and not waste money, so I want my purchase decisions to be educated. I'm an intermediate computer user, but have never used raid configurations before, so please be kind. Also, we can really only purchase through a few vendors. B&H is where I'm getting all my other video equipment, so I'm only looking at options available there for my storage needs as well.

Right now we record using Canon XA10 and XA20 model cameras. I'm hoping to upgrade to XF300's with this new budget, but still we're only talking MXF files, 1920x1080 at 50Mbps 4:2:2. So I'm not dealing with huge uncompressed footage.

Still I record a fair amount of footage. In the first 2 months on the job I've accumulated about 460GB of raw video, and I don't expect demand to go down in the future.

Right now, my idea is to purchase two Western Digital 12TB Raid Arrays in Raid 0.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1053138-REG/wd_wdblwe0120jch_nesn_12tb_my_book_duo.h tml

(I should note, I'm using a Windows 7 PC, so I only have access to USB 3.0, not Thunderbolt)

The first raid array would be my scratch disk, the second would be used for manual backup at the end of every day. (Using a utility like SyncBack)

Once my projects are complete, and I'm sure I won't need to access them, I'd like to move them off to a 3rd RAID array like this set up in Raid 5 for redundancy.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018063-REG/owc_other_world_computing_mercury_qx2_4_ by_hw.html#specOWCM3QX2K0GB

This array would serve primarily as an archival unit, with only occasional transfers to it and use in only rare circumstances where I need access to several month old footage.

Do you have any suggestions of a better system or workflow?

Thanks so much!