8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 8:33 AM by trshaner

Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5

Eric Goldstein

When I first uploaded my pictures into LIghtroom, it uploaded the pictures so that each DAY created it's own folder.   I find this annoying and just want to group the pictures by year and month.

I found a "mass rename" function, but is there a "mass move" function that will combine all the images into a "month" folder instead of a month/date folder?

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
          dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom does not have any automatic folder restructuring capability. If you are going to do this, you must do it manually, folder by folder.

Now, if I may give some "thinking out-of-the-box" advice, if you're going to spend this time re-organizing, you'd be much better off applying keywords and other metadata to your photos and use those from this day forward as your searching methods, instead of folders named by calendar units (months or days). In other words, I am advising you to not change your folder structure, leave all photos and folders where they are in their existing folder arrangement, continue adding new photos using capture date folders, and use keywords and metadata from now on for organization and search. This is what I do, as I almost never look in the folder panel, and I also don't have to try to remember what photo was taken on what date. It's so much easier for me.

• 2. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
            Eric Goldstein Level 1

DJ - thanks for your response.

I"m VERY keyword focused and prefer to use that.

The reason why this has come up is with picture backup software for FlickR / DropBox / etc. that back things up by folder (even if they include the keyword)

I've been able to create smart collections and upload from Lightroom directly, but there are programs that backup the entire folder structure within Dropbox/FlickR that would be a little more efficient if I had it broken down by a better folder structure as well as the keyword search capability.

• 3. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
              dj_paige Level 9

but there are programs that backup the entire folder structure within Dropbox/FlickR that would be a little more efficient if I had it broken down by a better folder structure

Here's a case where maybe I need to increase my knowledge. I am not aware of any software/situation where making backups of (for example) 10,000 photos in 200 folders is more efficient than making backups of the same 10,000 photos in 50 folders. This is what you are claiming, so could you give an example of such a program?

• 4. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
                Eric Goldstein Level 1

DJ -

The issue is access - particularly on a mobile device.

I was testing a "FlickR backup" program which backs up whatever folder you point at it into FlickR.  

The problem is that FlickR then created a set for EVERY single folder in Lightroom...   It's really a weakness in the FlickR program, but it's annoying.  

So, if I pull up FlickR on my mobile device, i see hundreds and hundreds of folders to find my images (instead of just having tehm broken down by year (as well as the ability to search by keyword).

I"ve sort of worked around this by creating a series of smart sets that upload for each year (1990s, 2000s, 2001-2005,2006-2009, 2010, 2011, etc. etc.

It's still not perfect as the FlickR program uploads it into photoset (which is private and only I see until I share it).

The FlickR plugin for LIghtroom seems to upload it into a upload set that I need to go back in and change the privacy settings on.

Eric

• 5. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
                  dj_paige Level 9

Sounds to me like this "FlickR Backup" program, which I have never used, is not one that I would want to use any way.

I am skeptical of this program being a true backup anyway, Flikcr cannot store your RAW photos, making it useless as a true backup, it might serve as an emergency backup where you get a backup that replaces RAW with JPG, but I can think of a lot of better ways to make backups that don't involve losing my RAWs and making them in to JPGs.

Back to your original question of rearranging you folders ... don't let this one piece of software's shortcomings force you into this huge amount of work rearranging folders. There must be a better solution than that. Lastly, as far as backups are concerned, I have never cared that there were "too many" folders, in fact that's what you want if you are creating true backups, the folders in the backups must match the folders in the original storage location. The idea of browsing the backups (and thus the need for fewer folders), which seems to be motivating you, is not one I have ever considered, and doesn't really make sense to me.

• 6. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
                    Eric Goldstein Level 1

DJ,

I used the word backup wrong..

I use Time Machine and another online service (as well as a external drive) for a full backup of my files/images.

The value of FlickR and things like it is that I can be out and about and easily find a picture that I want to share with someone.  E.g. -- hey do you have pictures of when we went on vacation last summer?   Can you show me a picture of what your dog looks like?   Easy to find with something like my Android FlickR app (both via keywords and via chrono order).

I've also been experimenting with Google Drive - they seem to want me to put my LIghtroom masters in my Google Drive directory which will then auto back them up - and make the images available to Google+ ,etc.

• 7. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
                      dj_paige Level 9

But doesn't the keyword approach work for Flickr as well? If I'm out and a friend wants to see my pictures from my trip to Chicago a few years ago, we go to my Flickr account and then search for any photos with Chicago in my photo stream. I'd never find anything if I had to remember what day or month or year the photo was taken.

Again, my sense is that you are being pushed into a very bad decision (rearranging all of your folders) for not very good reasons (this one software seems to force you into it).

• 8. Re: Bulk Move Of Files / Change Folder Structure in Lightroom 5
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Eric Goldstein wrote:

I've been able to create smart collections and upload from Lightroom directly, but there are programs that backup the entire folder structure within Dropbox/FlickR that would be a little more efficient if I had it broken down by a better folder structure as well as the keyword search capability.

In actuality you could import image files into into one (1) folder and organize everything using keywords, collections, and the Filter bar. Along with dj_paige's question can you explain in detail what "better folder structure" you want to use and why?