7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2015 10:17 AM by padwick19

InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system

padwick19

InDesign crashes every single time you double click to open an InDesign file and has done so since replacement of the original version of InDesign introduced in the Creative Cloud launch.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I'd say it was unique to my system if I hadn't experienced the issue repeatedly on several different systems now.  You have to relaunch InDesign which then opens the file from recovery, so it saw the file you tried to launch in the first place.  This leads me to believe the problem lies with the file association registry of InDesign inside Windows systems.  I find it unbelievable that this problem still exists and remains unreported and that a solution hasn't been implemented by Adobe to rectify the issue.

The double click is a fundamental tenant of opening files on a Windows system in the same way a single click is on a Mac.  Does InDesign crash ever time a Mac user clicks to open their files, I think not.

Anyone got any ideas other than the obvious which is Adobe actually got their figure out and fixed it.

Cheers,

Pat Doyle

• 1. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

Pat,

You are likely dealing with a general operating system ailment, so do the common Windows trouble-shooting things:

1. Clean the temp folder, and reboot. See if the problem persists.

2. Use a utility like CCleaner to weed out useless files and junk in the Windows registry. Reboot.

3. Use a font utility to check for corrupt fonts. Replace any bad fonts. Retire all PostScript Type1 fonts altogether in favor of OpenType fonts.

4. Uninstall InDesign, maybe run the Adobe app cleaner utility, then reboot and reinstall InDesign. Make sure to patch your InDesign to the latest patch level, of course.

• 2. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system
            padwick19 Level 1

Thanks Micheal,

I have tried all these options and as I said its happened on several systems now which leads me to believe its a registry error. I use Advanced System Care Pro, which is always reporting Adobe registry entries as being either inaccurate or incorrect.  It's not a major issue but when you have worked with Windows for the extent of time I have, it just becomes ingrained to double click the file you want to open and have the system launch the application for you.

Guess I'll just have to learn to live with it and have that Doh! moment every time I forget to launch InDesign first.

Anyway thanks once again for taking the time to suggest some solutions I might try.

Cheers,

Pat Doyle

• 3. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system

I am on Windows and I double-click freely and I don't experience this problem.

Yes, I think you are onto something when you identify it as a registry problem. Maybe try a different registry cleaner/checker? Maybe someone has posted the specific registry fix.

If you uninstall, reboot, then clean the registry, then reboot, then reinstall, you might have an opportunity to fix the registry corruption.

BTW

• 4. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system
                padwick19 Level 1

Hi Michael,

I'll give it a go.  Don't really like messing with the registry on Windows boxes.  Yes you can do it, but it can end up being a case of the operation was a success, but the patient died.

Just was rather hoping someone else had already experienced this problem and posted the registry tweak.  Didn't want spend hours reinventing the wheel.  Not because I'm lazy, but I have so many demands on my time that resolving a minor issue that effects me only seems like it should be pretty low priority.

The system I'm using is brand new, but the problem seems to have followed me regardless which may indicate that it is seated in my synchronization information somehow.  Really don't know how that could happen as I'm not an Adobe engineer or have the remotest idea where to even start looking.  So I think I'll mark your suggestion as the "Answer" and just learn to live with it.

Windows eh! Can't live with - can't live without it.  I'm sure Mac can be just as temperamental. Just have to chalk this one up as being just another ghost in the machine.

Thanks for all the advice you have kindly offered, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat Doyle

• 5. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system

Yes, both my Mac machines and my Windows machines get their undies in a wad, and yes, you and I have better things to do! It is very time-consuming and annoying!

• 6. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm going to jump in ad say I also have no issues with double-clicking to open on either of my Windows 7 machines. But I'm not so sure what you have is a registry issue, and I'd be suspicious of a software conflict, particularly some third party plugin for ID (like a font manager auto-activation plugin) or some other program running in the background.

Before you go wild in the registry, deactivate any non-Adobe plugins in ID, try a new user account on Windows, and try a startup in Safe mode to see if any of them make a difference.

• 7. Re: InDesign crashes every time you double click to open an .indd file on Windows system
                      padwick19 Level 1

Thanks,

I'll try it when I get a quite period.  It could well be a pug-in problem given its followed me to new machine.  Didn't consider that.

Once again thanks,

Pat Doyle