14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2015 6:44 AM by cbay1

Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?

cbay1 Level 1

I downloaded the LR free trial nearly a month ago and was planning to get the newest version if i like it.   I like it very much but would like to get the new version that is coming out.

Thought i timed it right, but no news on LR6.  This will be a stand alone purchase. 

I am certain i want to get LR6 for the new features, so must i wait until the release or could i verify somehow that recent purchase will allow an upgrade to the newest version?

Anyone have advice on this for me?  I tried to contact Adobe but it sends me back to this method.

Thank You in advance,

Regards, Chris

• 1. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the past, those who purchase within 30 days of a new major release are eligible to receive the new version at no additional charge. There has been no announcement from Adobe has to when Lightroom 6 will be released. It could be today, tomorrow, next week, or next month. There is no way for anyone to know when that will be. If you purchase Lightroom 5 now and the release of Lightroom 6 is more than 30 days out, then it will probably be necessary for you to pay $79 for the upgrade.

There is a subscription program that is $9.99/month that provides you with both Photoshop and Lightroom. The programs are installed locally on your computer and run as normal Adobe programs. When Lightroom 6 is eventually released, it will be available to you as part of your subscription plan. It's a good way to go, in my opinion. But the choice is yours. As far as telling you if you should buy Lightroom 5 now is concerned, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

• 2. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
            dj_paige Level 9

The only information is that no one knows (Except Adobe employees, and they're not going to say publicly). So it's a gamble, no matter what you do. There is no "right" choice at this time.

So ... make your guess, pick your course of action, and go with it.

• 3. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

There's also no guarantee that it will have any new features, much less that they're features a given (potential) user would be wise to wait for.

Lr 6 will almost certainly improve on what Lr 5 already has in terms of how well it does what it currently does, but the new functionality that the rumour sites have publicised is just that - rumour.

• 4. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                dj_paige Level 9

There's also no guarantee that it will have any new features,

Really, you think that Adobe will charge existing customers a $79 upgrade fee for software that has nothing new?

If there's anything I think is a sure thing, LR6 will have a major new feature or two. I don't know what it will be, and it may have no value to me personally, but I'm certain there will be new features.

• 5. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                  Keith_Reeder Level 4

dj_paige wrote:

Really, you think that Adobe will charge existing customers a $79 upgrade fee for software that has nothing new?

I didn't say anything remotely like like that.

The point I was making is that there are no guarantees here (and you know as well as I do that I'm right about that. Of course it's most likely that we'll get new toys, but a safe bet is still not a guarantee); and that whatever we might get, might not be what the OP is waiting for.

I chose the word "guarantee" advisedly.

• 6. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                    dj_paige Level 9

I'll say there is a guarantee that there will be new features. Not "most likely", but a guarantee. My guarantee, based on zero inside information, and based on the idea that it simply doesn't make sense to ask people to pay an upgrade fee for software that has no new features.

• 7. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                      robgendreau Level 3

I think that if you purchase the pay-monthly Photographer CC Plan you can cancel within 30 days with a full refund; after that, you lose 50% of the remaining year cost.

I'd just call Adobe and see if they'll extend you a month.

• 8. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?

And what makes you think Adobe would extend it for a month? In reality, we don't know how close Lightroom 6 is to be released. It could be weeks or even months before it's ready. I think it would be better if we all just forgot about Lightroom 6 until it becomes a reality.

• 9. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                          robgendreau Level 3

Nothing makes me think that, except that I once upon a time got a second thirty day trial from them on something (I think it was Acrobat Pro). Doesn't hurt to ask.

But I do sorta agree about the forget about LR 6 thing; if LR 5 works well for you then try the subscription. You get 6 then as soon as it drops. He seems to want it for the "new features" (maybe in general? since we don't know what they are, although some are rumored). so it seems LR 5 works fine and he just wants to avoid the upgrade cost.

BTW, when the Lr demo runs out, what functionality ceases? you might be able to limp along for quite a while.

• 10. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?

When the standalone trial version expires you have no access to anything. The trial screen indicates that you have 0 days remaining and will not open the program. I haven't done a trial of the cloud.

• 11. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                              Diko.bg Level 1

According to this New Lightroom 6 release date leaks: sales start 21 of April for €129! | Fuji Rumors It is coming soon. However A huge grain of salt is needed. Since so many (reliable) shops have already released false dates my presumption is that Adobe have failed to deliver on time.

Major last-minute-bug perhaps needed more time than expected. The word is that some new cloud implementation took/takes longer to fix ergo we had no beta public release available at all.

Just like you I am very eager due to the GPU utilization which should bring tremendous speed boost to the develop module.

I find distasteful the lack of official communication with the clients community. Adobe had always the option of confirming, denying or just saying that it is still not ready.

But who am I to judge @Adobe's PR? Saying what-so-ever however could leave me with better feelings. ;-)

• 12. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Diko.bg wrote:

According to this New Lightroom 6 release date leaks: sales start 21 of April for €129! | Fuji Rumors It is coming soon. However A huge grain of salt is needed.

So why post? Isn't there more than enough rumour-based crap flying around on here already?

• 13. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                                  Diko.bg Level 1

Good point, however never leave hope out of the equation ;-)

Also the date seems reliable and logical if my presumption about the bug turns out to be true (not that we would ever learn). And until now that shop's offer is still online.

• 14. Re: Lightroom trial running out & waiting for LR6 ?
                                    cbay1 Level 1

Thanks for all the thoughts on the matter everyone.  I guess i got caught up in the rumor mill and assumed some of the stuff was real.  Maybe i should just bite the bullet and pay up when the trial is up.   Was hoping i timed this transition just right, but i guess not.  The supposed hdr feature and gpu rendering sounded good, but oh well.  I'm new to Lr and have a ways to go to fully utilize the features anyway.  Maybe the upgrade cost will be worth it is another thought.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Regards,

Chris