7 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2006 2:18 PM by Newsgroup_User

Clearing out old folders

MaliasRV
      I am taking over a website that someone else designed using Front Page. I use Dreamweaver 4. I was able to download everything she had on the remote file with ease to my local file. But now I’m having weird problems updating the site.

Site address is http://www.cmsanm.com.

First I created a folder called “NEW” for creating new pages and making changes. The first page I created is “index.” That uploaded OK onto remote site but when I try to view the page, I get error message “HTTP 404 Not Found.” I know the address is correct (www.cmsanm.com/NEW/index.htm).

OK, weirdness #2 – She had many “OLD” and “OLDER” files on remote site with a bunch of junk I’ll want to get rid of. But one folder is called “www” that contains all the pages that are up there now. If I put my “NEW” folder within the “www” folder, it will display on the web with the “NEW” address extension listed above. But it doesn’t have the “www” extension, even though that is a valid folder and that’s where everything is.

Weirdness #3 – When I try to delete new folders and files I uploaded, it won’t let me. It says “An FTP error occurred – cannot remove remote folder [folder name]. 550 Can’t remove directory: No such file or directory.” I’ve tried deleting all the files within the folders first and I can do that, but can’t delete the folders.

It’s really a messy thing now and I have no clue what to do to fix it. Any ideas from the nice pros out there?

Thanks!
      Malia
        • 1. Re: Clearing out old folders
          Level 7
          MaliasRV wrote:
          > I am taking over a website that someone else designed using Front Page. I use
          > Dreamweaver 4. I was able to download everything she had on the remote file
          > with ease to my local file. But now I?m having weird problems updating the
          > site.
          >
          > Site address is http://www.cmsanm.com.
          >
          > First I created a folder called ?NEW? for creating new pages and making
          > changes. The first page I created is ?index.? That uploaded OK onto remote
          > site but when I try to view the page, I get error message ?HTTP 404 Not Found.?
          > I know the address is correct (www.cmsanm.com/NEW/index.htm).

the address IS correct; I clicked on the link above and went straight to your page. No 404 error for me!

>
          > OK, weirdness #2 ? She had many ?OLD? and ?OLDER? files on remote site with a
          > bunch of junk I?ll want to get rid of. But one folder is called ?www? that
          > contains all the pages that are up there now. If I put my ?NEW? folder within
          > the ?www? folder, it will display on the web with the ?NEW? address extension
          > listed above. But it doesn?t have the ?www? extension, even though that is a
          > valid folder and that?s where everything is.
          >
          > Weirdness #3 ? When I try to delete new folders and files I uploaded, it won?t
          > let me. It says ?An FTP error occurred ? cannot remove remote folder . 550
          > Can?t remove directory: No such file or directory.? I?ve tried deleting all
          > the files within the folders first and I can do that, but can?t delete the
          > folders.
          >
          > It?s really a messy thing now and I have no clue what to do to fix it. Any
          > ideas from the nice pros out there?

wild guess: why are there many ? in your text quoted above? Are you using a special keyboard and
          special characters? If you use such characters to name your files and folders you upload, that might
          be why you're having problems?

>
          > Thanks!
          > Malia
          >

--
          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
          http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
          Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
          • 2. Re: Clearing out old folders
            MaliasRV Level 1
            Nope, no special keyboard - but apparently all the quotation marks I used in this post got changed to question marks. Anyway, I don't use such characters for naming files or folders. This is really driving me crazy, though!
            • 3. Re: Clearing out old folders
              Level 7

> I know the address is correct (www.cmsanm.com/NEW/index.htm).

the page is there-

But one folder is called ?www? that
              > contains all the pages that are up there now.

Then you are in the top level private folder, and the files need to go into
              he www folder to be visible in the site?

go into this Site Definition, and in the Host Directory line, type:
              www/

done. Make sure the local site is defined to the correct folder level also,
              so that the site's root level "homepage" is in the root of both the local
              and remote views.

> Weirdness #3 ? When I try to delete new folders and files I uploaded, it won?t
              > let me. It says ?An FTP error occurred ? cannot remove remote folder . 550
              > Can?t remove directory: No such file or directory.? I?ve tried deleting all
              > the files w

If you are trying to delete folders in the upper level private directory
              (the one that contains www) you probably can't.

you should be able to delete files inside of www.

If you can't, suggest opening the FTP log window, then connect to the site.
              Look in the ftp log window, and copy the part that's the file listing,
              giving file permissions and the owner of the file.

• 4. Re: Clearing out old folders
                MaliasRV Level 1
                Thanks for the response, Alan.

I don't really want the www folder to even be there. My goal is to get rid of it and all the other old files once I figure out how to update and upload all the pages in that folder now called NEW within the www folder. I went into Site Definition and there was nothing there to begin with on the Host Directory line. So I don't understand why only those files and folders in the www folder show up. When I put www in the Host Direcory line, then the only files that show up on the remote site side is the www folder, but that doesn't really help me.

You said:
                quote:

If you can't, suggest opening the FTP log window, then connect to the site. Look in the ftp log window, and copy the part that's the file listing, giving file permissions and the owner of the file.

Sorry, I'm way too much of a newbie to understand this or how to do it. The woman who did the site before is not happy about being "fired" and will not help at all. The org. doesn't even know how to change the password, etc. so she can't access it anymore. I'm really trying to help them out, but am having a really hard time with it. I've created other sites and have no problem with doing it from scratch myself, but this is a complete mess and given that error message that I can't even delete mistakes, I'm really screwed.

Any other ideas or guideance would be greatly appreciated!
                • 5. Re: Clearing out old folders
                  Level 7

> I don't really want the www folder to even be there.

[If you've describe the hosting folder setup correctly]
                  The www folder has to be there, and the public site files have to be inside
                  of it- it's the way that server is configured.

Go to edit sites and open this site definition.
                  click the ADVANCED tab to get out of the wizard.
                  click the Remote tab.
                  in "Host Directory" type www

now check the Local Info tab. Check that the Local Site folder is the folder
                  that contains this site's homepage. This would be the NEW folder I'm
                  assuming. Make sure ALL files for this site are within the NEW folder.

Now, the local and remote should match up.

suggest doing a sitewide link check now that the local folder has been
                  changed, to make sure there aren't root relative paths to the old root one
                  folder up, or links to things that aren't inside of the NEW folder. Check
                  the External tab in the results window also for any file:/// paths.

If you want to replace all the existing files with what's in the NEW folder-
                  Expand the Files panel.
                  click Connect.

select all the remote files.
                  press delete key.

now select all the local files (which are the contents of the NEW folder)
                  and put them to the remote.

• 6. Re: Clearing out old folders
                    MaliasRV Level 1
                    Well, now I'm really screwed up. I did what you suggested and entered www in the Host Directory part of the remote site. Since I never found the 'advanced' part you spoke of, I assume you're talking about a newer version of Dreamweaver. I'm using 4.

I updated and organized all the files/folders in my local site: Websites/CMSA/www/NEW. That entire folder has been uploaded to the remote site: www/NEW/

Now nothing comes up at the address www.cmsanm.com no matter what extension I use, even though I can plainly see all the files/folders on both the local and remote site and they all match up.

My new client is not gonna be happy if the site is down much longer. What can I do with this mess?

Thanks!
                    Malia
                    • 7. Re: Clearing out old folders
                      Level 7
                      okay-

go into the site definition.

take OUT the www.

connect again.

What exactly is listed for folders in the top level?

did you at any point delete any folders from that top level?

And- What is the exact full filename for this site's "homepage"

did some digging-
                      is this the hosting company? If yes- read the bottom half of this article.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2857

There should also be a folder in the top level named
                      public_html

Look in the public_html folder.
                      Are the new files there?
                      If not- do this:
                      go into the site definition-->remote info and put
                      /public_html/ into the Host Directory line.

connect again. Upload the site files.

Is there a root level homepage with a filename of
                      index.html
                      index.htm
                      index.php
                      or similar?

and a last resort- if you can't sort it out, email the ftp information to
                      blu at formdude.com don't post the username/password in the forum- email
                      to me.