4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2015 2:04 PM by JEShort01

New Computer for University

drrotto

Hello,

I am considering a computer for a university students in our labs and classroom setting that will work well for the next 4+ years. Our students do AE/Premiere/Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign/Light room/Cinema 4D, (as well as Autodesk, other software). I am looking at a PC (we will also have Apple IMacs). 

I am looking at a system like:

Processor

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v3 (6C, 3.5GHz, Turbo, HT, 15M, 140W)edit

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit English/French/Spanish (Includes Windows 8.1 Pro license)edit

Adobe Photo & Productivity Software

Noneedit

Microsoft Application Software

No Productivity Softwareedit

Digital Delivery Software

Noneedit

Video Card

Dual NVIDIA® Quadro® K2200 4GB (2 DP, DL-DVI-I) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapter)edit

E-Star

No Energy Staredit

Chassis Options

Dell Precision Tower 5810 685W TPM Chassisedit

Memory

32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECCedit

HDD/Storage Controller

Integrated Intel AHCI chipset SATA controller (6 x 6.0Gb/s) - SW RAID 0/1/5/10edit

Internal Hard Drive Configuration

C3 SATA / SSD 2.5 Inch, 1-2 Hard Drivesedit

Raid configuration Connectivity

No RAIDedit

Hard Drive

256GB 2.5" Serial-ATA Solid State Driveedit

2nd Hard Drive

256GB 2.5" Serial-ATA Solid State Drive

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Richard

• 1. Re: New Computer for University
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Change the Quadro out to a Geforce 960GTx or 970GTx and that system would be solid for the student's.

Eric
          ADK

• 2. Re: New Computer for University
            drrotto Level 1

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. However, since this is a state institution, we have to use Dell as our supplier, and that card is unavailable.

I am trying to marshal a case that this system is a good solution for 5+ years, but I anticipate some questions as to the cost, and that this system is too powerful for the students needs, though when thinking of the powerful software we run and the need for these systems to be viable for 5+ years, it seems like a reasonable configuration.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Richard

• 3. Re: New Computer for University
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

AE, C4D, and Premiere require significant hardware specs to perform well. A standard desktop system wont work well at all. This is the simple requirement for the media content industry. If they also want to introduce students to media beyond 1080 as well then this really is bare minimum. That Quadro K2200 card wont help much either way though. That really needs to be upgraded.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: New Computer for University
                JEShort01 Level 4

Eric speaks the truth - big time!

Possibly you can order the Precision with the least expensive video option possible and then buy the GTX 970 from Dell Accessories:

PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 970 graphics card - GF GTX 970 - 4 GB : Parts & Upgrades | Dell

and install the GPU yourself.

Dell Precisions work well with GTX video cards for Adobe CC programs. Similar performing NVIDIA Quadro cards are way overpriced.

BTW, Dell's support and warranty is not trashed by doing this although at times they may want you to think that.

One more thing, SSDs are fast, but you may want to add a large 7200 drive to your spec. too for storage, unless you are planning on the students keeping their work on USB 3.0 drives. Video files can fill even large drives quickly!

Jim