2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 7:15 PM by Casey_W

    Maxing CPU during export


      Okay. I admit I'm pretty new to video editing. I've spent the past year or so muddling through with VSDC doing as little editing work as possible because that program is as user-friendly as a bengal tiger with rabies. I bought Premiere Elements 13 so I could have a more stable, usable editing software that I could do more interesting stuff with.


      Problem is, when I try and export a video it goes just fine for the first 8% or so but then it immediately redlines my CPU. I have no idea what's causing it. I'm trying to export in WMV 1920x1080 (custom made because apparently Elements doesn't like WMV in HD and it's the only type that keeps the file size from being ridiculous).



      Intel i5-3470 CPU 3.2GHz

      16GB RAM

      GTX 760 graphics card

      500GB SSD


      I really hope someone can help. I don't want to have to go back to VSDC.

        • 1. Re: Maxing CPU during export
          A.T. Romano Level 7



          Is the SSD the Local Disk C for your computer? And, did you install Premiere Elements 13 to the default which is the Local Disk C?

          Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. If not, please do so.

          What is your computer operating system?


          Please look at the exports (file saved to the computer hard drive and burn to disc products) with and with out the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference disabled. See Edit Menu/Preferences/General and that preference at that location.


          If export to file saved to the computer hard drive, what is the estimation file size and duration of the export?

          If export is burn to disc, what does the Quality area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate when

          the disc is in the burner tray? At this point, are you dealing with only export to file saved to computer hard drive?


          Let us start here and then decide what next.


          Thank you.



          • 2. Re: Maxing CPU during export
            Casey_W Level 1

            Updated. Hadn't done that. I assumed it would download the most recent version automatically. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. Initial CPU usage dropped from 30% to about 28% but it just redlined at the same progress as before.


            The SSD is the default C drive yes, and Premiere is installed on it. Operating system is Windows 8.1 (with classic shell, if it matters).


            Estimated output file size is 537.81MB. Duration is 37min, 51.51sec. And I'm only exporting to hard drive.


            I would look at the results of the export but that would require the process finishing. Twice, in fact. And since the estimated completion time is ever increasing (it was over an hour by around 17%, up from 20 minutes at the start), there's not much chance of me doing that unless absolutely necessary. It'd take up most of my day at the rate it was going.


            As a test to see if it was something to do with the custom output format I tried in the Youtube HD format. That maxed out my CPU immediately but maintained estimated completion time of about 20 minutes. Not exactly an ideal solution though. I don't want to lock up my computer for the several hours it takes to export footage.


            Thanks for your help in advance!