10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 3:40 PM by ViperJPB

Slow Adaptive Resolution Update

ViperJPB Level 1

We recently setup a monstrous workstation in studio by BOXX. Everything runs great however there is a sluggish update and response in the viewer of After Effects when moving a camera or scrubbing through a scene. Lite scenes have no issue....but slightly heavier scenes bog down heavily. I have a smaller lesser system at home but with similar specs that can scrub through the same scene as if it were on a premiere timeline with great adaptive updates to the preview panel.The scene consists of 7-8 5K resolution cutout still images spaced out in Z space so the camera move gives some parallax. I have tried the following options to fix it with no avail:

- Tried Off (Full Quality), Adaptive, Fast Draw, and Wireframe. Fast Draw obviously helps but the system at home still outruns it at full rez with adaptive resolution. 1/8, 1/4, etc all tried as well as upping the amount of texture memory from 1600 to 4500.

- Viewer Quality at all settings for both zoom and color.

- MP rendering on and off. Single core seems to be slightly more responsive. There are 40 cores on this system and I have tried many combinations of cores. The more cores the more sluggish it seems. Also almost impossible to render on all cores without rendering to frame sequences. Plus takes forever to prep those cores and actually render.

- Disk Cache on and off

- Layer Cache on and off

- Video cards don't seem to be natively supported under the Raytracer setting....tried both enabling and disabling unsupported GPU support.

- I even tried adding my video cards to the supported list in the raytrace text file. This seems to have accelerated the response some for sure but still no match for the system at home.

The system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Dual Xeaon 2687W v3 (40 cores at 3.10-3.5Ghz)

128GB of RAM

2x500GB SSDs in RAID 1 for boot drive

1x800GB SSD for Adobe Cache

3xTITAN Black Editions with 6GB of ram each.

18TB RAID 50 fibre SAN array for media running at 900MBs Write and 1,650MBs Read

Home System that has no preview problems with same project:

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Dual Xeaon 2687W v1 (32 cores at 3.10-3.4Ghz)

32GB of RAM

1x250GB SSDs for boot drive

1x250GB SSD for Adobe Cache

3x680 GTs with 4GB of ram each.

8TB RAID 5 internal SAS array for media running at 600MBs Write and 800MBs Read

This machine cost the facility quite the chunk of change and should be smashing through previews and adaptive updates in After Effects. The fact that a slightly lesser system can scrub through the scene as if it were a video file is completely confusing and points to there being a problem.

An odd thing I have noticed is the home machine's Fast Preview icon is lit blue constantly, though it is set at adaptive resolution, where the studio systems icon is grey until actually updating then it turns blue. Also the timeline instantly has a green bar over it when opening the comp on the home machine however it does not do that on the studio machine.(as there are no keyframes just layers in 3D space and I move the camera through z space to check their distances).

Any ideas as to the issue? Is it possible the three TITAN Black video cards are just not officially supported and optimized thus my preview problem? Or is it something deeper? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No SLI configuration is supported nor does AE use such hardware acceleration beyond perhaps coming in handy with CUDA for the Raytraced 3D, but as you wrote, it doesn't work, anyway. The rest sounds normal, given that the per-core efficiency on the new system is less than on the other and many things in AE are single-threaded, not using multiple cores and processors at all, even with MP on. Unless you do something else with it like working in 3D, your systems are seriously over-outfitted for AE and even Premiere and you have burnt a lot of money for nothing even on your home system.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
            ViperJPB Level 1

SLI is not enabled nor would it be for production purposes.

The Raytraced option does work under the non supported experimental checkbox or by adding the GPU to the supported list config file.

Both systems are designed to be full MGFX Workstations and Color Grading Workstations. This includes heavy 3D work in C4D and other apps. Including 3D GPU rendering. For Grading in DaVinci Resolve the more GPUs the better and in both of these configurations using CUDA acceleration across all three GPUs allows both machines to handle heavy color grade node trees with full premium debayer quality of RED Epic Dragon 6K in real-time outputted to high end grading monitor and larger client monitor. This is also true of Premiere. For finishing in uncompressed formats the throughout of the various raids is necessary, especially when you are talking about 400+ layers of 4-6k Tiff sequences in After Effects.

So these systems are adequate but more power I'd always needed to hit our deadlines and render.

That being said the newer system can actually use more cores than the old one at once as it can allocate ugh more ram.per core and therefore is more efficient in MP processing.

These things being the case the night and day difference in previewing the same project file is a mystery. The only thing I can think of is if these GPUs are truly not supported in AE or optimized. Or maybe the Xeon and this many threads are not optimized for AE. Though the problem persists even without MP enabled.

Any help and suggestions or recommendations would be welcome. I'm seriously considering pulling the Titan blacks out of the box and putting in a old 680 just to test. However that would be an undertaking as it is rack mounted in the server room.

• 3. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update

Now that I think of it... AE'S MP is limited to 32 instances. 40 cores might cause some weird issues in the internal process allocation logic. As a test, I'd try to disable the second processor in the BIOS/ EFI. Not debating your other points, it just seemed odd for an AE workstation. If you use Octane or whatever I'm sure those Titans will be niiiiiiiice.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
                ViperJPB Level 1

No worries Mylenium.

Thanks for the idea. I will look into that next time I'm in the office. I recall having a similar issue with the first workstation as far as core allocation and dropping out of MP processing and we tried the CPU disabling trick too. Didn't seem to solve that particular problem. But I would be interested to see how that method would work on this system. You don't think it's a GPU support issue and frame buffer thing? Even being overpowered like this machine is for AE you would think the rendering and preview performance would be at max too... not slower?

• 5. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
                  ViperJPB Level 1

I also noticed an odd thing that might be related. When it seems to be sluggish or stalling to ram render or update the preview pane there are multiple processes of either GPU sniffer or a Adobe license utility process that multiply up to 3-5 times in the process viewer of windows. Not sure what that's about. 

• 6. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update

Are you by any chance running the BGRender script and it launches additional AE instances? Otherwise this could be some DynamicLink stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about the licensing processes as from time to time CC will launch a whole barrage of them when checking its online status.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
                      ViperJPB Level 1

Funny you ask. I don't on the machine in question, but I do on the home system. So not in this case. Not sure about the dynamic link thing. It is a layered photoshop file imported as a composition retaining layer sizes. I assume such an import wouldn't utilize the dynamic link system?

• 8. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
                        ViperJPB Level 1

Even though I have MP processing off you think the core count is causing problems?

• 9. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
                          ViperJPB Level 1

Tried disabling the second processor in both windows and bios as well as disabling hyperthreading. Did not fix the problem. I also updated the video card drivers and that did not fix the issue.

Still have very slow adaptive resolution preview response compared to the home studio system. I can get slightly faster preview performance by turning off MP processing in AE and by adding the TITAN Black line into the AE supported GPU config file. However this is no where near the performance of the adaptive resolution preview on the lesser home system. Any other ideas? This is way to pricey and powerful of a system to be this sluggish in AE.

My next thought is to take one of the 680 GT 4GBs from home and swap it in as the main card on this system. Not convinced that will fix it though.

• 10. Re: Slow Adaptive Resolution Update
                            ViperJPB Level 1

Discovered the problem!!!!! It was the freaking Edge Blur effect from Red Giant's Keying Suite plugins. The version on the home system was older by two versions. I uninstalled the latest version from the Studio workstation and installed the older version and BAM....butter previews! So ridiculous. Duly noted....stay two versions back in Red Giant plugins .