We recently setup a monstrous workstation in studio by BOXX. Everything runs great however there is a sluggish update and response in the viewer of After Effects when moving a camera or scrubbing through a scene. Lite scenes have no issue....but slightly heavier scenes bog down heavily. I have a smaller lesser system at home but with similar specs that can scrub through the same scene as if it were on a premiere timeline with great adaptive updates to the preview panel.The scene consists of 7-8 5K resolution cutout still images spaced out in Z space so the camera move gives some parallax. I have tried the following options to fix it with no avail:
- Tried Off (Full Quality), Adaptive, Fast Draw, and Wireframe. Fast Draw obviously helps but the system at home still outruns it at full rez with adaptive resolution. 1/8, 1/4, etc all tried as well as upping the amount of texture memory from 1600 to 4500.
- Viewer Quality at all settings for both zoom and color.
- MP rendering on and off. Single core seems to be slightly more responsive. There are 40 cores on this system and I have tried many combinations of cores. The more cores the more sluggish it seems. Also almost impossible to render on all cores without rendering to frame sequences. Plus takes forever to prep those cores and actually render.
- Disk Cache on and off
- Layer Cache on and off
- Video cards don't seem to be natively supported under the Raytracer setting....tried both enabling and disabling unsupported GPU support.
- I even tried adding my video cards to the supported list in the raytrace text file. This seems to have accelerated the response some for sure but still no match for the system at home.
The system specs are as follows:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Dual Xeaon 2687W v3 (40 cores at 3.10-3.5Ghz)
128GB of RAM
2x500GB SSDs in RAID 1 for boot drive
1x800GB SSD for Adobe Cache
3xTITAN Black Editions with 6GB of ram each.
18TB RAID 50 fibre SAN array for media running at 900MBs Write and 1,650MBs Read
Home System that has no preview problems with same project:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Dual Xeaon 2687W v1 (32 cores at 3.10-3.4Ghz)
32GB of RAM
1x250GB SSDs for boot drive
1x250GB SSD for Adobe Cache
3x680 GTs with 4GB of ram each.
8TB RAID 5 internal SAS array for media running at 600MBs Write and 800MBs Read
This machine cost the facility quite the chunk of change and should be smashing through previews and adaptive updates in After Effects. The fact that a slightly lesser system can scrub through the scene as if it were a video file is completely confusing and points to there being a problem.
An odd thing I have noticed is the home machine's Fast Preview icon is lit blue constantly, though it is set at adaptive resolution, where the studio systems icon is grey until actually updating then it turns blue. Also the timeline instantly has a green bar over it when opening the comp on the home machine however it does not do that on the studio machine.(as there are no keyframes just layers in 3D space and I move the camera through z space to check their distances).
Any ideas as to the issue? Is it possible the three TITAN Black video cards are just not officially supported and optimized thus my preview problem? Or is it something deeper? Thanks.