16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 7:09 AM by bernwa

Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite

zontaluma Level 1

All-

Edge Animate has been crashing like a champ on my new Mac Laptop that runs Yosemite  OS

Of course I'm in the middle of developing a web site for a client

I've looked around for upgrades on the cloud...I'm up to date with version 2014.1  (there's a 2014.1.1 and a 2014.5.1) but my adobe cloud only is allowing me to download 2014.1)

I saw a "patch" somewhere on the this site...couldn't find where to download it

Whatever, clearly if it's this difficult to find a fix...it hasn't been fixed yet

Can anyone help me with this problem?

• 1. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
          dashworth

I'm experiencing the same behavior with the same setup -- New MBP running Edge Animate 2014.1.1 on Yosemite (OS X 10.10.2). I've uninstalled/reinstalled and that seemed to fix the issue but it's crashing often again. Sometimes when simply creating a new project or navigating to image files, sometimes while working in the Timeline. When it's in the Timeline, I often get 2 error popups. The first one reads "An error occurred. Please save your work and restart Edge Animate". The second reads "(unknown C++ exception)".  See images below.

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 1.18.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 12.56.24 PM.png

• 2. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
            Manigandan Adobe Employee

Hi Zontaluma

This is a bug in Edge animate and we are aware of the which is specific only to few users. We are finding out the root cause of the issue. Will keep you posted on the updates.

Thanks

Manigandan

• 3. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
              DavePowellGPA

Crashing repeatedly here as well, driving me nuts! Here's a few other issues as well to put in a patch.

• Deletion of keyframes in the timeline has a negative impact on keyframes surrounding that area.
              • Upgraded projects from previous versions of Edge simply break with any major editing.
              • Even with new projects, you can break things.... (Like your entire timeline and all elements disappear inside of a symbol)
              • If you delete a symbol that is reference as a child in another symbol, the whole thing falls apart and you have to get into the JS file to sort out the now missing child symbol.

Been struggling with Edge Animate for a few years now and all of these "improvements" have done little beyond break my work. Actively pushing to switch platforms over to Unity at this rate to escape this half baked software. Publishing to WebGL may have slightly more limited support but it will actually work.

• 4. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                zontaluma Level 1

Hello, Manigandan.

Thanks for the reply.  I've enjoyed using Edge Animate for a long time.  Making the jump from Flash to Edge was logical and easy.  I loved the timeline based animation interface and the "movieclip" like "convert to symbol" was very convenient.  I understand things take time to fix as computer operating systems evolve.  That being said, I've had to leave Edge Animate behind and move to using Bootstrap in Sublime text and Dreamweaver.  I was annoyed to have to jump back into the minutiae of reading and editing code...we have a love hate relationship ;-)  Nevertheless, after going thru a few free "Getting Started with Bootstrap"  tutorials, I've come to realize Bootstrap is amazing.  Applying CSS transitions is a snap.  I mean no disrespect to Adobe, the Edge Animate community or anyone else who has put effort into developing EA, you've made a great tool.

I simply have to make the workflow fit the project and not make the project fit the workflow.

Be well

• 5. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                  Devendra Kumar Adobe Employee

Hi D,

Thanks for writing to us with your feedback. We are sorry that you are facing issues while using the software.

We are continuously working on this isuse and will keep you posted once we fix this in Edge Animate.

Please let us know if you need help regarding anything else. We will be more than happy to help you.

Regards,

Devendra

• 6. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                    RyanWing

I've experienced the same issues with Adobe Edge Animate. I'm not able to even start practicing what I've learned in a tutorial before it crashes on me. LOVE to hear a response to this because I am very eager to start learning this program.

• 7. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                      mustaa1988

I've been experiencing this lately, A LOT. It happens every time i'm using the Transform tool to rotate a shape, and also sometime when I have Transform selected then zoom in it freezes then crashes and I get the error popups. Can't wait to get a fix on it, hope you guys can sort it out! Driving me crazy!

• 8. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                        rbish7660

Same here. Edge on a macbook pro with yosemite, chokes in about 30 seconds. I had to create an external boot drive with Mavericks. I have to boot from that drive every time I want to work with Edge.

• 9. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                          bernwa Level 1

Adobe... this has been going on far too long!  Please fix Edge to work with Yosemite MacBook Pro.  What the hell am I paying $50 a month for?  Enough already.  FIX EDGE!  Or at least acknowledge you're aware of the problems and the fix is coming.

• 10. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                            KEROQQQ Level 1

Same here. 2014.1.1 & OSX 10.10.3.

After I draw some boxes , the bounding box is off every time.

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 9.18.20 PM.png

Then after some moving and transform processes , the stage is broken.

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 9.23.45 PM.png

• 11. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                              bernwa Level 1

I SO hope that a new update comes for Edge.  I'm using the Beta pre-release and it seems to be be better.  The one frustrating thing on this forum is when the staff keeps saying it's a just a few users.  I've been watching the several threads where several people are reporting similar issues for months now.  I'm not sure what your definition of a few is but it seems to me enough people where it should be fixed by now.  Or at least addressed more formally by Adobe.  I can't even take a tutorial without EA crashing.  What the heck is going on Adobe?

• 12. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                                fayemate

I have the same problem - bought a new macbook pro 15 inch to speed up my work - re downloaded all my cloud software and trying to complete some animation with Edge - it crashes every time I import graphics to the library and I am pretty disappointed with the whole thing. So frustrating when you have work to complete and expensive upgrading turns into downgrading.

Any news on when is this going to be fixed? How do we rectify?

• 13. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                                  chriskevin2

that's nice. so when is it going to be fixed?

• 14. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                                    bryann design Level 1

I've been getting the error when I resize a video control. Svg button to be precise.

• 15. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                                      superyachts

One more person suffering from this error (actually 2 with my colleague included). Please fix! Seems crazy that we can't re-edit our files, major issue for creatives trying to get projects signed off.

• 16. Re: Edge Animate crashes on mac laptop Yosemite
                                        bernwa Level 1

It really is shameful an unfortunate how Edge performs so poorly on Yosemite.  I installed on my alternate PC for future projects but honestly, it's given me so much grief over the last year or so I just avoid using it unless I really need some featured animation in my site.  It really was great when it first came out.  I worry that it will fade away like Flash did.  Too bad...