15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 6:23 AM by Szalam

Render time drastically increases after reformat

Clarence Sampang

I bought a newly built PC, installed Windows 7, got Adobe and immediately started editing my film.

I rendered the final sequence on After Effects and it took 30 mins!

Everything was just surprisingly fast and I didn't even tweak any settings. Here's the render four days ago:

untitled-1.jpg

Then I was forced to reformat my PC because of annoying viruses that snooped around the system.

I backed up my film and transferred it to the newly reformatted PC with the same software installed.

untitled-2.jpg

But now, the same project now renders for 2-4 hours and everything is basically slow now.

Can someone please tell me what the hell might have happened? Am I missing something?
      What are the factors that are possibly affecting the render time change?

I think I might have hit the AE sweet spot before I reformatted but I have no idea what I did because I basically didn't do something special.
      I desperately need help please.

• 1. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you anything without proper system info or other technical details such as version of AE, render settings, storage locations, what's involved in the project and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
            Clarence Sampang Level 1

I don't have a super computer. But I **** you not, I rendered that 14 minute film full of color correction, optical flares, a composition that's like 1920x11000, and element 3d animations all in 30 mins.

How's this? I'm on after effects cs6 (still not ready for cc, I use lots of plugins that's only for cs6)

Untitled-2.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

• 3. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
              Clarence Sampang Level 1

And now it keeps cutting on the credits sequence saying I have no RAM left!
              Someone please help. This is stressing me out.

• 4. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Clarence Sampang wrote:

I rendered that 14 minute film full of color correction, optical flares, a composition that's like 1920x11000, and element 3d animations all in 30 mins.

That doesn't sound right. Did you watch that file back? My guess would be that the workspace wasn't set to the whole comp because that is not a likely render time even for a good computer.

Especially not for rendering into H.264. AE is terrible at it. (That's why the feature was removed from current versions.)

Clarence Sampang wrote:

I'm on after effects cs6 (still not ready for cc, I use lots of plugins that's only for cs6)

Plugins that work in CS6, will work in CC. I don't know of any issues with them not working.

• 5. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                  Clarence Sampang Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Clarence Sampang wrote:

I rendered that 14 minute film full of color correction, optical flares, a composition that's like 1920x11000, and element 3d animations all in 30 mins.

That doesn't sound right. Did you watch that file back? My guess would be that the workspace wasn't set to the whole comp because that is not a likely render time even for a good computer.

Especially not for rendering into H.264. AE is terrible at it. (That's why the feature was removed from current versions.)

Doesn't sound right at all. But that's what's up there (check the first photo)
                  and the final output didn't have any noticeable anomalies. The quality still seemed 1080p, no skipped frames, no nothing.

I am baffled just as you guys and I'm trying to figure out what I accidentally "did" to achieve such speeds.

• 6. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat

Hang on. Let me take a closer look at this. One of them took half an hour to render a 14-minute video (which is pretty good). The other one didn't even finish - you stopped it and it had only rendered 1 minute in 2 hours!

Wait, did you accidentally change the composition's renderer to the ray-traced renderer instead of the standard renderer? That would make it take longer.

• 7. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                      Clarence Sampang Level 1

Szalam wrote:

Hang on. Let me take a closer look at this. One of them took half an hour to render a 14-minute video (which is pretty good). The other one didn't even finish - you stopped it and it had only rendered 1 minute in 2 hours!

Wait, did you accidentally change the composition's renderer to the ray-traced renderer instead of the standard renderer? That would do it.

The first one was before the format - a 14 minute video in half an hour.
                      I didn't tweak any After Effects settings nor Windows settings. I just bought my new custom built PC, installed Windows 7, installed drivers, installed AE, started editing and the renders were super fast.

The second photo was after I reformatted - both the OS and the hard drive. I purged everything and did all the steps mentioned above but the render time was significantly slower now. Oh and I didn't stop it - it said it was unable to allocate enough RAM for the 1920x20000 composition (which I didn't have any problems with before the format.

As far as I can remember, the only tweaking I did was with the codecs. MOV thumbnails on windows explorer didn't have any previews and only showed the VLC thumbnail so I installed a couple of codecs packs (K-LITE was one of them) and uninstalled them. I eventually downloaded a software called Media Preview Configuration which fixed my thumbnail problem.

That's about it. It bothers me a lot that there's untapped power in my desktop and I can't seem to bring it back..

EDIT: And no, I'm still on Classic3D. It's the same project file :/

• 8. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat

Clarence Sampang wrote:
                        As far as I can remember, the only tweaking I did was with the codecs. MOV thumbnails on windows explorer didn't have any previews and only showed the VLC thumbnail so I installed a couple of codecs packs (K-LITE was one of them) and uninstalled them. I eventually downloaded a software called Media Preview Configuration which fixed my thumbnail problem.

Uh-oh.

K-Lite has a bad history of screwing with professional video software (including Adobe). There have been some folks on this forum who've had to completely wipe their systems and reinstall the OS after installing K-Lite because they couldn't get it out of the system even after uninstalling. There have been a couple of other codec pack issues, but K-Lite has been the worst offender by far.

• 9. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                          Clarence Sampang Level 1

What do you recommend? I'm going to perform another reformat. What codecs and software should I install?

• 10. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

To start with, only install Quicktime and your Adobe Suite.  Then re-render your project and see what the results are.  Render to a Quicktime file or an uncompressed AVI, not to MPEG4 directly from the Render Queue.

Also note that you only have 8GB of RAM, which is very low for After Effects to work with.  Especially if you're working with comps that are 11000 pixels wide.

• 11. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                              Clarence Sampang Level 1

Andrew Yoole wrote:

To start with, only install Quicktime and your Adobe Suite.  Then re-render your project and see what the results are.  Render to a Quicktime file or an uncompressed AVI, not to MPEG4 directly from the Render Queue.

Also note that you only have 8GB of RAM, which is very low for After Effects to work with.  Especially if you're working with comps that are 11000 pixels wide.

But the problem is, before the reformat I had no problems whatsoever. I rendered h.264 in only 30 minutes! (along with that 1920x11000/20000)
                              How could I revert to that status? What factors could have affected?

• 12. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That's what you are trying to ascertain, by stripping back the system to bare essentials and starting from scratch.

• 13. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                                  Clarence Sampang Level 1

Andrew Yoole wrote:

That's what you are trying to ascertain, by stripping back the system to bare essentials and starting from scratch.

Alright, will do. I'll get back to you guys as soon as I can.

• 14. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat
                                    Clarence Sampang Level 1

Is it advisable to have two display drivers?
                                    I both have the Nvidia and the Intel HD. Should I remove the Intel one and stick with the Nvidia?

• 15. Re: Render time drastically increases after reformat

It sounds like you have a graphics card built into your motherboard/chip setup AND a better GPU from NVIDIA. Either you've got a laptop that "intelligently" switches between them (ugh), or you've added a GPU to a desktop and haven't disabled the onboard graphics processing. I don't see how it would help your current render time issue, but you might consider disabling the Intel one to see if it makes a difference with your computer use overall. How you disable it will depend a lot on what kind of setup you've got going on.