4 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 9:20 PM by Ian Bellomy v02

Element has secret/hidden sizes only apparent when testing or copy-pasting element.

Ian Bellomy v02

Having difficulty describing this issue.

Including a video description here:

Adobe Edge Bug - YouTube

Essentially, for some elements, the values listed for size are not seem accurate. However, once the timeline that the element is on plays, the values snap to what was listed. The behavior is the same in Chrome.

I have not found a way to work around this problem.

• 1. Re: Element has secret/hidden sizes only apparent when testing or copy-pasting element.
          Devendra Kumar Adobe Employee

Hi lan,

Thanks for writing to us with your concern. We are sorry to know that you are facing issues while using the software.

Checking this video recording it seems that there is some issue with with EA elements.

can you please share the same composition with me so that I can forward it to EA team to fix the issue?

Regards,

Devendra

• 2. Re: Element has secret/hidden sizes only apparent when testing or copy-pasting element.
            Ian Bellomy v02 Level 1

The problem can sometimes be fixed in one of two ways.

First, by editing the PROJECTNAME_edge.js file in the project folder. If you can find the problematic elements in the symbol definitions, you'll find that their default values correspond to the undesirable appearance that is visible upon publishing. Correcting these fixes the problem.

Alternatively, copy and paste the problematic element as I do in the video, adjust the values to the desired initial values, copy and paste the animation keyframes from the offending element to the new element, then delete the offending element.

While I've had half a dozen students encounter this issue, I have not been able to reproduce it myself yet.

Edit: Originally I marked this as correct. However, the above solutions do not always work, at least in cases that involve incorrect positions.

• 3. Re: Element has secret/hidden sizes only apparent when testing or copy-pasting element.
              Ian Bellomy v02 Level 1

Heads up for anyone watching. This has not been an isolated incident. After a few weeks, about 25% of my students have encountered this problem. In some cases re-animating the affected elements has been the easiest solution.

• 4. Re: Element has secret/hidden sizes only apparent when testing or copy-pasting element.
                Ian Bellomy v02 Level 1

After some talk with support, it's more specifically a problem with autoplay being turned off. If you turn it on and use a trigger to stop the timeline, you can avoid this issue (at the cost of having your buttons play on the main timeline in the authoring environment.)

So I downloaded the unminified Edge runtime and did some digging. On line 2364 there's this:

sym.stop(-1, false);    //Make sure that base state is applied

Assuming the base state is that recorded in the default document structure, applying that is exactly what we don't want. Changed the first argument to 0 and things look perfect for the moment. Unfortunately Edge doesn't use the version of the runtime in the project folder when "testing", but if you launch the html manually, it looks swell.