29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 8:19 PM by PRE_help

Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates

bha51

I recently purchased Premiere Elements 13 for my iMac.  It crashes every time I attempt to add a DVD menu template to my project.  Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Does the problem occur just by hitting Tools Menu/Movie Menu/theme selection...continue or elsewhere?

Please detail. Depending on when the problem occurs, does it make a difference which theme you use?

Are you running the program as Administrator?

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so.

We will be watching for your reply with more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
            bha51 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

It doesn't seem to matter which DVD menu I choose.  I have tried several.  I get the problem when I get to the choose DVD menu screen by way of the Tools menu or by way of the Share and Publish/DVD menu in the upper right corner of the screen.  I get the message that my project has no DVD menu and then if I select "yes" I see the same screen as I would if I had used the Tools menu and chosen Movie Menu.

I am running the program as Administrator.  This is the first time I have had any version of Premiere Elements on this computer.  It never worked before.  I have had this problem since I installed the program earlier this week.  I do have Photoshop Elements 11 and just bought Photoshop Elements 13 at the same time I bought Premiere Elements 13 (a few days ago).

I followed your suggestion and am running version 13.1 and it still crashes when I try to load a DVD menu.

Thanks again.  I'll be off the computer for awhile, but will check back later.

bha51

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
              A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the reply. Please excuse the following question, but I do not want to take anything for granted.

When you go to the Tools Menu/Movie Menu and click on Movie Menu, you should be greeted by a display of thumbnails representing different Movie Menu themes. If this is your first time in that area, you should be seeing blue bands at the top right corner of the thumbnail. Are you right clicking that blue band and selecting "download all"?

The blue band points to theme's that need to be downloaded (one time only) into the program from within the project.

This "content download" completes theme files and folders that install incomplete.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: No Content Disc - Content Downloads from Adobe

Please let us know if any of the above applies to your situation

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                bha51 Level 1

I just uninstalled and then re-installed Premiere Elements.  When I opened the program, I clicked on Movie Menus from the Tools menu.  There were blue bands on the menu thumbnails and I right-clicked on one and selected "download all."  P.E. let me know that the files would need 2.5 GB of space and I told it to go ahead and download the files.  The download was going fine and it downloaded all 2.5 GB of data.  I could see the blue bands disappear from the thumbnails as the download progressed.  When the downloading process was over the progress window disappeared.  I saw the rainbow colored pinwheel spin around for several seconds and then the program crashed.  The next thing I saw was a "Crash Report" with several lines of "computerese" and the message that it would be sent to Apple.  I clicked OK and in a second or two a window from Adobe appeared asking me if I wanted to restart the program and send the crash report to Adobe.  There was also an option for me to ask Adobe to send me feedback or tips for a workaround or solution to the problem and what came back was the message that Adobe had no workaround or solution to my problem.  For each of the previous times the program crashed, I have seen all of these windows that I just described.

One other thing:  when I re-opened Premiere Elements after the crash, I looked at the movie menu thumbnails and the blue bands were not there any more.  So it seems as though Premiere Elements "thinks" they have been downloaded.  If so, where are they and how do I use them?  And how do I prevent the program from crashing?

Feel free to ask me any questions you want to, especially if they will help solve this problem.  One reason I bought this program is that I want to make DVDs with menus and chapter selection buttons.  I have been using iDVD, but Apple no longer supports it, and it does have a few bugs I have had to work around.  I also have DVD Studio Pro, which came with Final Cut Studio a few years ago (before Final Cut Pro X) but it is not very user friendly.  I also have Final Cut Pro X, which has the option of authoring DVDs, but doesn't have the DVD menu template options that are in iDVD and DVD Studio Pro. 

Thanks for your attention and help.

bha51

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the follow up details.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am going to need your help matching Windows Mac counterpart details.

The content download, as I mentioned, completes incomplete theme content that was installed with the program installation. The major downloads for a theme include the .psd files for the menus. Please go to the assets folder for a given menu, and see if the folder now contains the .psd files as well as a Download file.

In Windows, all that is found in the Online Folder and DVD Templates Folder.

Let us find out if those assets present there in spite of the issues within the opened project.

In your Mac situation, did you work with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled or any other computer security software active?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                    bha51 Level 1

I could not find any .psd files that would correspond to movie menu templates.  I have tried turning off Firewall and re-installing P.E. 13 and got the same results as when Firewall was turned on.  As far as I know, there is no anti-virus program running. 

I don't have an "Online" folder and I don't know what the Mac version of that would be, unless it is the "Downloads" folder.  I didn't see any files in my Downloads folder that would be the menu templates.   

In summary, if the assets (movie menus) are present, I can't locate them in any of my computer's directories.

Do you know any Mac users of Premiere Elements 13?  Maybe they would know where the movie menu files are supposed to be stored.

I do appreciate your time and efforts.

bha51

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the reply.

A while back a Premiere Elements Mac user identified the location for Movie Menu assets for the content download ones as well as the one that comes with the install. I think you start from a Finder Folder.

I am going hunting for that thread and see if I can find it. It should give us the information that we seek.

If I do not find it within the next hour, I will work on this tomorrow. With a little luck the Mac users who worked

through those locations details might see your thread on give us first hand support on this.

More later,

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Please check out the following Premiere Elements 13 Mac path to the Online Folder that I mentioned previously. Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0/Online/DVD Templates/All_Lang/ and the subsequent

category folders.....

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                          bha51 Level 1

A.T. Romano:

I looked at the path "Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0" and in that folder there are only the following folders and files:

Adobe Premiere Elements Perfs  (file)

CEM (folder)

Effect Presets and Custom Items.pfrpset

Favorite Transitions and Custom Items. prfpset

OLS (folder)

Plugin Loading.log

SC (folder)

tmp.txt

tmp2.txt

There is no "Online" folder.  It seems that the process of creating the Online folder gets interrupted somehow and that may be causing the crash.

bha51

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the update.

In your Mac computer environment, is there any chance that you have options or preferences for hiding and unhiding files and folders?

If so, please verify that the Online Folder is not visible because it is a hidden folder that needs to be unhidden?

Also, please check for any security software on your computer - described either as antivirus or security type. If you have not run into that consideration before, perhaps your local Apple store could after information to rule this factor in or out of the troubleshooting of the Online Folder.

If the above gets no where, then please consider

uninstall the usual Premiere Elements Mac way

free Mac ccleaner run through

reinstall with antivirus/security/firewall(s) disabled.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

But, for the above, please use the tryout installation files from the following web site and insert your purchased serial number into them ask requested in the installation process. To avoid Access Denied message, please follow carefully that web site's "Note: Important Instructions".

Please consider and then we can decide in which direction to go on this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                              bha51 Level 1

ATR:

After insisting that I didn't have the DVD Template files on my computer in "the" Library folder, I discovered that there are multiple "Library" folders and it is possible to think you are looking at one when there is really another one you intended to look at.  It depends how you get to them.  Anyway, I apologize - I eventually did find the path that leads to the DVD Template files, as stated in your message, so the files did get downloaded to my computer after all.

What I want to do now is uninstall and reinstall Premiere Elements 13.  After it is reinstalled, I will try downloading the DVD Template files again and then try to use one in a Premiere Elements project. 

I'll get back to you after that.

By the way, I switched from a PC to a Mac several years ago and I still don't completely understand how the directory structure of the Mac works!

Thank you for your patience and your suggestions,

bha51

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                bha51 Level 1

Hello ATR:

So I reinstalled Premiere Elements 13 and followed the Mac path to the Online folder: 

Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0/Online/DVD Templates/All_Lang/

and it looks as though the folders and files for the DVD menu templates are there.  So, now the question is, why does Elements keep crashing when I try to load a Movie Menu?

bha51

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

So, now the question is, why does Elements keep crashing when I try to load a Movie Menu?

There is another user caught in the same problem right now.

Please let me know if you can get beyond Tools Menu/Movie Menu/and specifically Slideshow/Pan and Zoom.

It is the only Movie Menu theme that does not require content download. I want to see if we can make a case for

content download which depends on making incomplete files and folders complete versus the Pan and Zoom that comes

complete with the install of the program - no content download needed.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                    bha51 Level 1

ATR

I created a new project and saved it.  Then I went into the Tools menu and chose Movie Menus.  I selected the Slideshow/Pan and Zoom menu and clicked on Continue.  The program crashed.

bha51

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the update.

Your results are pointing me in the direction of the program install since Pan and Zoom is implicated in this issue along with the content download themes.

Please recap....

a. Have you done the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs deletion? I do not think that is it, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

b. Have you been through the uninstall, free ccleaner Mac run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) and any other security device disabled?

c. Have you been through alternative source of installation materials?

d. Have you gone through creating a new user account with administrative privileges and installing and trying to run the program and menus from that?

e. Have you gone to another browser as your default browser?

If you have been there and looked at the above without any resolution for the issue, consider conflicts with other programs installed on the same computer. Are the iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, and Final Cut Pro X programs all installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements? How feasible is it for you (for troubleshooting purposes) to disable these programs one by one in search of a potential conflicting program?

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                        bha51 Level 1

Hello ATR:

I have done just about everything you suggested, short of disabling iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, and the Final Cut Pro programs which are installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements.  It doesn't make sense to me how they could be the source of the problem with Premiere Elements. 

I have deleted the "prefs" files, uninstalled Premiere Elements, used CCleaner, reinstalled Premiere Elements with Firewall turned off (I don't have an anti-virus program).  I am logged on as administrator, so I didn't create another user account.  I am the only user of my computer.  I haven't used another browser; I use Safari. 

What do you mean by "alternative source of installation materials"?  I bought the combined Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 package from Amazon and downloaded using Safari.  I have actually done this twice.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the programs several times.

Do you have any other suggestions?  You mentioned another user having a similar problem as the one I am having.  Do you know if they have solved their problem with Premiere Elements?

The next thing I am going to try is Apple phone support.

I'll keep you posted. 

bha51

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the problem still exists.

By alternative installation files...

Download and install the Premiere Elements 13 Mac tryout files from the following web site. Then during the installation of them, insert your purchased serial number.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

To avoid an Access Denied message, please follow carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions".

I mentioned this idea back in post 10 of your thread.

I still think that it would be worthwhile considering a new user account with administrative privileges in the remote possibility of a corrupt user account. Install and try to run Premiere Elements 13 Mac in that new account. The idea behind this has nothing to do with you being the only user of the computer. Looking at the download and install of Premiere Elements using a different browser might be another consideration to rule it in or out. As we go through the list of troubleshooting possibilities, the likely and unlikely possibilities become more necessary.

The Apple phone support may have some insights into the crashes.

I will see if I can find the other thread that I mentioned to you. At this moment, I do not recall the outcome.

Please consider the above. Looking forward to learning of further developments.

ATR

Add On...I think that I was referring to the location of the Movie Menu Slideshows/Pan and Zoom theme that installs with the program and is not a content download. The ID martinpat1 (Martin P) found the location and reported on it at the end of the following thread

Re: New background image for menu

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                            bha51 Level 1

ATR:

I uninstalled Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements from my iMac.  I then created a new user account with administrative privileges.  I downloaded the programs (Premiere Elements 13 and Photoshop Elements 13) directly from Adobe.  I typed in my serial numbers during the installation process.  I opened Premiere Elements, clicked on the Tools Menu, selected Movie Menu, selected the Pan and Zoom menu template and then clicked on Continue.  The program crashed.  I opened it again and selected the Balloons menu template, downloaded it (it appeared to be a successful download) and clicked on Continue.  The program crashed.

My next step is to uninstall Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements on my computer and try installing them on a different Mac computer that belongs to a member of my family.  It's a Mac Book Pro.  That computer has some of the same video and DVD programs on it as I have but I can uninstall them if I need to.  The main user of that computer doesn't need them.  First, however, I will try the installation with those programs in place on the Mac Book Pro.

I have not yet contacted Apple phone support.  I still might do that (or go to an Apple Store) after installing and testing Premiere Elements on the Mac Book Pro.

I'll let you know what happens.

bha51

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Thanks for the update.

You are doing a great job exploring all the possibilities for these Premiere Elements crashes which are relating to DVD Menus.

Looking forward to your results from looking at the program on another Mac computer and getting some Apple input on anything Mac that might relate to this situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                sarkanisko

I have exactly the same problem! Did you find any solution to fix it?

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

sarkanisko

What version of Premiere Elements Mac?

Have you gone through all the steps that bha51 has in troubleshooting the issue and still have the problem?

It appears that bha51 has not posted since May 2015 with follow up. I have sent a private message to bha51 asking for follow up to that thread as bha51's schedule permits.

We will be watching for further developments in this thread as well as learning of the specifics of your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                    sarkanisko Level 1

I have the same  version  13.1 on my Mac Pro and I have tried all

recommeded  steps with no success. Thanks for  your interest to help us!

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                      bha51 Level 1

Hello.  Bha51 here.  I received ATR's message today.  I was working with someone from Adobe support on this issue in late April.  My last communication with him was on April 27, when I sent him copies of crash reports that were generated when Premiere Elements crashed after I tried to load a DVD menu.  I tried the program today and the problem still exists.  In the time since then, I have not heard back from that Adobe support team member.

Since April 27, my travel schedule and other commitments prevented me from following up on this issue.  However, I have more time now so later today I will send a message to the Adobe team member I was working with and ask what the status is of their investigation into the cause of this problem.

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

bha51

Many thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                          bha51 Level 1

ATR:

I was working with someone from Adobe tech support  this evening on the continuing problem and the problem is still not resolved.  We have scheduled another session for tomorrow.  

bha51

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                            PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

We are in session with bha51 and currently do not know what the reason for the problem is. We have also sent a private message to sarkanisko to understand what is similar between the machine configurations/workflows/installations etc.

Regards,
                                                            Premiere Elements Engineering Team

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Many thanks for exploring the Premiere Elements 13 Mac DVD menu templates issues of bha51 and sarkanisko.

Might I ask, when the solution is found, could you please post the results in this thread and confirm the details of the path to the Online Folder and content download items for Mac computers.

Thank you.

ATR

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 13 problem with DVD menu templates
                                                                PRE_help Adobe Employee

Yes ATR. We surely will post the solution as and when we find it.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Engineering Team