3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2007 7:06 AM by MikeTheVike1

Need some help controlling video in my project...

MikeTheVike1
      I'm a Director noob, and a noob to most all programming. I purchased the Macromedia DirectorMX 2004 Bible, and it has helped a lot! For learning purposes I have started a project that has some navigation, transitions, sounds, basic behaviors, etc. Basically trying to compile a project that has the basics that I can reference for real projects.

For my "movies" section I have 2 pages. On one page I have a quicktime movie that has buttons that "play", "stop", and "rewind" the movie. I'm using the built in Quicktime controls behavior for the buttons. I want this movie to be stopped when I enter the frame. On the second page, I want the video to be full screen and start as soon as i enter the frame, and I want it to stop and take me to another place in the project when the mouse is clicked.

One of the problems I'm having on page one is that the video starts playing as soon as I enter the frame. I clicked the "paused" option in the Quicktime tab in the Property Inspector, and that worked, but it also pauses the movie on the second page. There has to be a way to pause the movie upon entering the frame using script, but everything I've tried results in an error.

With the second page, I just want the video to play as soon as the frame is entered, then when the mouse is pressed, the video should stop and I want to jump to a different marker. Again, This is probably simple with some scripting, but everything I have tried results in an error...Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: Need some help controlling video in my project...
          Level 7
          > One of the problems I'm having on page one is that the video starts playing as
          > soon as I enter the frame. I clicked the "paused" option in the Quicktime tab
          > in the Property Inspector, and that worked, but it also pauses the movie on the
          > second page. There has to be a way to pause the movie upon entering the frame
          > using script, but everything I've tried results in an error.

You could try unchecking the .pausedAtStart (member) property and apply
          the following behavior to the QT sprite:
          --
          on beginSprite me
          sprite(me.spriteNum).movieRate = 0
          end

> With the second page, I just want the video to play as soon as the frame is
          > entered, then when the mouse is pressed, the video should stop and I want to
          > jump to a different marker. Again, This is probably simple with some
          > scripting, but everything I have tried results in an error...Thanks for any help

Try something like the following (again attached to the QT sprite as a
          behavior):
          --
          on mouseUp me
          go to "marker_name_here"
          end
          • 2. Re: Need some help controlling video in my project...
            MikeTheVike1 Level 1
            Well, I solved it already. I did exactly what I thoguht I had to do, and it worked this time. i must have had something incorrect before.
            • 3. Re: Need some help controlling video in my project...
              MikeTheVike1 Level 1
              Sorry Sean, I didn't even see your post when I posted a second time saying I fixed it. Thanks though!!

Another problem I'm having now is this. When I click on my "movies" section, there are 2 videos on different channels and layers in the timeline. Sometimes after I play one, when I click a button to go to the "scene" with the other one, the other video will flash momentarily on the stage. Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks!