3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 9:52 AM by Szalam

Placeholders in After Effects

inquestflash Level 1

Hello After FX forum.

I've downloaded a free template which contains 4 placesholder to drag and drop my existing files.

But I'd like to make more placeholders for my composition, the problem is I am doing what Ive seen on the net

how to make placeholders, but something Im doing wrong... The images I drag and drop on the placeholders Ive made

dont appear with the rest of the composition.

if you need to see the template to get a better idea how the editor has set it up you can download it and see it from here. 

I know each composition can be complicated to understand how its set up. There for Ive added the link for a better insight.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d24j3xq817he8jt/Presentation+On+TV.zip

Kind regards.

• 1. Re: Placeholders in After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't access Mediafire due to restrictions on the network where I work, however, from your description, I think I know what the problem is.

After Effects does not work the way you think it does. It is way more complicated. Template-makers try to make it easy to put your own content in their projects, but modifying them can be a major pain. What are you doing when you are trying to make your own "placeholders"?

• 2. Re: Placeholders in After Effects
            inquestflash Level 1

Hi Szalam.

Im following this basic 1 minute tutorial, how to make placeholders.

CreativeCOW

• 3. Re: Placeholders in After Effects
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That tutorial won't help you at all. That's for folks who are creating their own work in AE, not adding to templates.

I can't offer you any specific help without looking at your template file, but it's likely a lot more complicated to add stuff to it than you think it is. After Effects doesn't go, "lets animate every placeholder". After Effects only does what it is specifically made to do. A solution for you might be to simply create several versions of your project, each one with 4 elements in it until you've shown all the things you want to show. Then, you can render each one out and put them together in an editing program like Premiere.

If you want to learn how to actually work with After Effects, start here: Getting started with After Effects