8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 6:33 AM by lotusgemology

Problem with Book Panel

lotusgemology Level 1

I have a problem with the ID book panel. I have a book with 22 chapters, and have added them to a book file. Within the book file, when I click on some chapters, the appropriate file opens as it should. In other cases, my computer makes a "bonk" sound and nothing happens. In other cases, when I click on a chapter, the wrong chapter opens.

Suspecting corruption, I created a new book file, then saved a couple chapters as IDML files, then reopened and saved them as INDD files. Add the first file to the new book file. No problem. Add the second file and the problem recurs. In many cases, I cannot even select the appropriate file in the book panel in order to remove it from the book.

In all cases, I can open the file from the file menu and there is no problem. But this glitch makes the book panel useless.

I have deleted the ID preference files, but the problem persists.

My system:

Mac OS 10.10.2

ID 10.2.0.69

Mac Pro Mid 2012, 48 GB RAM

Ideas?

• 1. Re: Problem with Book Panel
          lotusgemology Level 1

I've found the answer to my own question. Adobe InDesign CC 2014 apparently cannot handle a two-monitor setup. If I move the book panel to my primary monitor, everything works. But if it is on my second monitor, nothing works. This is not just true for the book panel, but for many of the panels like character styles, etc.

Thanks again, Adobe, for breaking a major function of what real professionals use to get real work done. And charging more for the pleasure. God I hope Apple buys Adobe. Adobe stopped caring about their customers so long ago...

• 2. Re: Problem with Book Panel
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are known issues with multiple monitors and the latest Yosemite update. Several threads here if you look.

• 3. Re: Problem with Book Panel
              lotusgemology Level 1

Exactly my point. How does one release software that breaks the most basic functionality of its users? What? InDesign users might use more than one monitor? What? InDesign users might use an OS from the world's largest computer company? Adobe has become brain dead, like US bankers, searching for more ways to scrape the flesh off bones, rather than actually trying to provide their paying customers who they have forced into this ridiculous subscription scheme. Believe me, Microsoft thought they were too big to fail. Look at them now. Adobe is in the same position. I and millions of others will be running to the next company that can provide a better product.

• 4. Re: Problem with Book Panel
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hey, it's not Adobe changing the code in the OS, it's Apple, and they don't give a hoot about their customers or maintaining backward compatibility. How would Adobe be able to release software that anticipates the damage Apple is about to inflict before they know what that damage is going to be?

• 5. Re: Problem with Book Panel
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You might want point your finger where it belongs…Cupertino, California.

• 6. Re: Problem with Book Panel
                    lotusgemology Level 1

"How would Adobe be able to release software that anticipates the damage Apple is about to inflict before they know what that damage is going to be?"

I would politely suggest that's the purpose for beta releases, which are regularly provided to developers in advance of the final release. I don't like being a beta developer. When Adobe releases software, it should be fully tested. Is that an extreme view? Adobe is the child, Apple's OS is the parent. It is incumbent on Adobe to make sure their software is compatible with the OS. Perhaps Adobe needs to beef up its testing division?

"You might want point your finger where it belongs…Cupertino, California."

Again, I would politely suggest you're off by a few miles. In my opinion, it's a place called San Jose:

• Apple did not force Adobe into the subscription model, where our work becomes unusable when we stop paying or don't have an internet connection.
                    • Apple did not tell Adobe to acquire Macromedia and then kill Freehand, leaving us with the programming poop called Illustrator.
                    • Apple did not force Adobe to acquire and then kill GoLive, nor acquire and steadily destroy Dreamweaver.
                    • Apple did not force Adobe to acquire FrameMaker and then kill the Mac version and leaving the PC version dying a slow death, while still not managing to get ID long document features to work properly (which is widely recognized in the ID community and which FrameMaker has had for more than two decades).

No, Adobe did all of this on its little lonesome own, with no help from Cupertino.

But that aside, if ID doesn't work with two monitor setups, then I would politely suggest that Adobe should write a little script that detects when someone is running two monitors and Yosemite and tell them that their second monitor is useless with Adobe CC 2014. So that their users will understand and not waste days trying to chase down basic functionality that is broken.

PS: None of my other software has this problem with dual monitors.

For others who might be reading this, here's a thread that P Spier spoke of, with possible workarounds:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1696357

• 7. Re: Problem with Book Panel
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You have a lot of valid points there, but the fact remains that this problem only exists on 10.10.2 and was introduced by Apple. Dual monitor setups work as designed on all other Macs and on Windows.

• 8. Re: Problem with Book Panel
                        lotusgemology Level 1

Thanks, Bob. I only want something that works. As I'm sure you do.