9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2007 12:58 PM by Newsgroup_User

Pulling fla source into director

highroller152
      Does anyone know how/if you can pull a flash movie(s) into Director and edit them within Director?

Here's the situation. I have three flash movies that I have the source for (fla) that make up a preloader, the main movie and an exit scene. I have been asked to convert the intanet web page into a CD for distribution. Is there any way that I can pull the FLA's into Director and be able to edit them from within the Director console? I do not just want to import the swf. I would like to be able to convert a Flash file into a dir file.

Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Pulling fla source into director
          Level 7
          You can't "convert" a fla file to a dir file - they aren't the same
          application, format, ...
          You could perhaps pull existing resources from the fla into Director and
          recreate the Flash file's functionality in Director, but short of
          importing swfs (much easier) that's probably the best you'll get.
          • 2. Re: Pulling fla source into director
            highroller152 Level 1
            So recreating the movies in Director is my only option if I want to add things like text, hyperlinks, and other content within Director? I don't suppose you can edit things like that from the swf import?
            • 3. Re: Pulling fla source into director
              Level 7
              You can add those things as separate sprites on Director's stage
              alongside your swf files, or add them to the fla before publishing to swf.
              Perhaps you could provide an overview of what you're trying to achieve
              so as to avoid potential confusion.
              • 4. Re: Pulling fla source into director
                highroller152 Level 1
                I appreciate your help, Sean. So I can't pull the source into Director. I guess it's off to Amazon to pick up a Director Book.

A (very) short overview:
                I have three swf movies that comprise a preloader screen (zipping images and whizbang text) that fades into the main interactive movie. The main movie is basically an in-depth web page (all 17mb of it) with images, text, and animations. When you click exit, you are directed to a third credits movie. This was all developed in Flash a while ago and has been periodically updated.

Now, the 'boss' wants to be able to market what we've got when she's at conventions, meetings, etc. She likes the intranet page so much that she wants the content put on CD for distribution. I need to take out some of the proprietary stuff and add a few other links, e-mail addresses, change around some text and add some video clips.

After researching, it seems that Director is a better way to go for this purpose than Flash. I guess I can still make the projector in Flash but the more that I read up on Director, the more that I am impressed with it's ability to easily distribute this kind of media.

Not only that, but I guess that I am kind of proud of my creation. I like the fact that Director is so much harder to decompile than Flash.
                • 5. Re: Pulling fla source into director
                  Level 7
                  Did you consider making required changes in the source FLA files and
                  then using Director as a shell to host the Flash content?
                  • 6. Re: Pulling fla source into director
                    highroller152 Level 1
                    Yes, I did. My limited knowledge of Director is going to hamper that effort so I will have to do some studying to make it work. With three separate SWF's, how do I get Director to play the entire intro then move on automatically to the main movie and not go to the exit scene until the 'exit' button is pressed? Right now, I am using AS and html to control all that.
                    • 7. Re: Pulling fla source into director
                      Level 7
                      You can use AS to talk to Director. For example, on the last frame of
                      your intro swf you could add:
                      getURL(event: 'go to "main"');
                      (or something similar) which will tell DIrector to navigate to a frame
                      labelled "main"
                      • 8. Re: Pulling fla source into director
                        highroller152 Level 1
                        I know this is completely ignorant, but Director understands AS, Java, and Lingo? Will the latest Director (MX 2004, 10.1) read AS3?
                        I really appreciate the help, Sean. Thank you.
                        • 9. Re: Pulling fla source into director
                          Level 7
                          > Director understands AS, Java, and Lingo?

Director doesn't "understand" AS so much as you can write AS to
                          communicate with Director or use Flash objects and their methods in
                          Director.
                          And that would be JavaScript not Java that serves as an alternative
                          scripting language to Lingo.