7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2007 10:09 AM by kglad

play timeline in reverse

Sketchsta Level 1
      Hi guys, this is just an idea I have for a website, i haven't done the animations yet, but my thought is something like this:

i will have an animation done in 3DsMax and imported into the timeline of my SFA, say maybe 160 frames. The animation would be of a CUBE spinning, and showing all 6 sides throughout the animaton.
      Each side, i was thinking to make into a page for the website, and i would need it to play the animation foreward or reverse until it reaches the side of the corresponding button pressed.

Or, if i can't play the timeline in reverse... I would like it to play ( and loop if necessary ) then stop at the corresponding page.
      eg.. if you are on page 5 and click on page 2, i want it to play to the end, then start from frame 1 and play to page 2 frame.

Thanx in advance for any help and suggestions.
        • 1. Re: play timeline in reverse
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          check this forum for playF(), a method for movieclips that allows you to play any movieclip from any frame to any other frame (forward or backward) at any rate (the host computer can handle).
          • 2. Re: play timeline in reverse
            Sketchsta Level 1
            this has been discussed before??

kool.. thanx dude! =)
            • 3. Re: play timeline in reverse
              Sketchsta Level 1
              Hey Kglad, I found the topics you had about playF(), i read all of them.. but im stil having problems understanding it..

if you have time and are willing, could you explain it to me plese?

I haven't ever worked with prototypes before, maybe thats why im not understanding it.. =(
              • 4. Re: play timeline in reverse
                oh, many times. here's my playF and stopF methods for movieclips. it works well for non-precision play. for anything where the frame rate has to be precise (like sync'ing voice and animation) i have a more complex method.

to play movieclip mc from frame n to m at fps (frames per second), add the code below the dotted line to your swf and use:

• 5. Re: play timeline in reverse
                  Sketchsta Level 1
                  I still don't understand HOW it works.. i just tried to apply it to an old animation i had to see if i can get it to work, but i can't because i don't understand it at all..

im trying to incorporate your code to the idea i have for the website im making. so i would need to call mc.playF() from a onRelease action.. and i see you have added a stopF() in this one too, how can i call that function when the playhead reaches the corresponding frame of the button pressed?
                  • 6. play timeline in reverse
                    Sketchsta Level 1
                    ok nevermind, i got it to work.. i simply forgot to name my button =P

anyway... it works great, except that im calling the function from 3 buttons for testing, all with different params... and although it works great, it ALWAYS starts from the begining, then moves to n

i've tried changing:
                    this.gotoAndStop(this.m);
                    to:
                    this.gotoAndStop(this._currentframe);

and this works, but because the animation has a stop(); at the begining, this only works the first time through.

any suggestions?

also, when im calling the function im using:
                    mc.playF(_currentframe, 20, 24);
                    • 7. Re: play timeline in reverse
                      _currentframe must be 1. if want to play mc from its current frame to frame 20 at 24 fps use mc.playF(mc._currentframe,20,24).