6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2015 11:59 AM by JimHess

purchasing Lightroom 5

robh48347771

I'm thinking about purchasing Lightroom 5 or should I wait just a little longer and get Lightroom 6 ?

• 1. Re: purchasing Lightroom 5
          johnhawk666 Level 3

It's a good idea to wait for v6, but the trouble is that you may be waiting for a few months yet as no one knows when it will be released, and any web sites saying anything about its release are just flying a kite. Normally, if you buy a version of Lr, and Adobe releases the next version within 30 days of your purchase, you will get a free upgrade to the new version - at least, that's what Adobe has done in the past, but no guarantees as to their future behaviour.

Presumably , you've already tried the trial version?

• 2. Re: purchasing Lightroom 5
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Nobody knows what will be in Lr 6 or when it will be released, so it's impossible to say whether you should wait for it, Rob. And as John suggests, you might not be waiting just "a little" longer.

• 3. Re: purchasing Lightroom 5
              robh48347771 Level 1

Thanks John and Keith  for the quick replies  !

I have tried the trial ware version of Lightroom 5 and it seems good for what I need

• 4. Re: purchasing Lightroom 5
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are trying to justify purchasing Lightroom 5, then that will have to be your choice. In my opinion, Lightroom just keeps getting better with each upgrade. If you want to follow the support path to include new cameras then it's always necessary to have the most current version. But if none of that concerns you and you feel confident that Lightroom 5 will always meet your needs then there is nothing wrong with purchasing now. Just be aware that it will eventually become unsupported software.

• 5. Re: purchasing Lightroom 5
                  robh48347771 Level 1

I was thinking if I'm that close to newer version it may be better to wait ?   if the new version is the same price as the previous one  or do they discount the older ones as the new one comes out

my camera is a newer one   Nikon D5200  couple years old

• 6. Re: purchasing Lightroom 5
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe only sells the current version. Once Lightroom 6 is released you will have to search places like Amazon or B & H Photo or other retailers to purchase Lightroom 5. You will be able to download the trial version of Lightroom 5, but there will be no way for you to activate it through Adobe.