12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 11:40 PM by chesty01

Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size

chesty01

I just got the tablet and I really like it, but LR seems to start wigging out after a few minutes.  Using the pen to control the sliders is problematic in that they become way to sensitive and will not hold their position when you lift the pen, the curves feature is all but impossible to use as the curves feature barely reacts to the pen and when tapping to zoom in or out, it is hit or miss.  How can I set up my tablet so it works as well as the mouse when selecting and adjusting.

• 1. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
          EricBier Level 3

Try plugging the the USB cable into the tablet, and plugging into a USB port that connects directly to the computer (not a hub or other remote USB connection).

• 2. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
            chesty01 Level 1

I am.  I have been experimenting with PS and it works much better.  Maybe the LR engine isnt quite ready for a tablet input device

• 3. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
              dbur971 Level 1
              • I've never been able to get my tablet to work worth a hoot in LR.
              • 4. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                chesty01 Level 1

That is too bad.  I like it when using the adjustment brush since it is way more precise and easier to use.  Maybe wacom and Adobe will address this issue.  It is the main reason I got the tablet to begin with.

• 5. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

chesty01 wrote:

way to sensitive and will not hold their position when you lift the pen

My experience exactly, using an Intuos in Lightroom and Photoshop.

I've no idea how people are able to do precision work with a tablet. I've concluded that it's a basically flawed concept - not because it's too sensitive, but because there's an angle between the hand and surface. So every vertical movement is inevitably accompanied by a horizontal movement, and you lose your cursor position.

Say whatever you want about a mouse, but it doesn't move once you have the cursor positioned.

Actually I believe there would be a simple solution to this: allow the pen to drag the surface, and then click with added pressure. The sensitivity steps should be able to handle this. But my Intuos clicks the instant it hits the surface, whatever settings I try.

• 6. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                    JoeKostoss Level 4

Have you tried adjusting the Tip Feel to a more Firm position?  If yo click the Customize button, you can perform addition adjustments to the tip feel and test it in the test panel to the right.  Moving the bottom triangle to the right reduces the output to zero when pen pressure is low, which it is when you are lifting the pen.

Screenshot 2015-04-06 07.35.23.png Screenshot 2015-04-06 07.36.06.png

• 7. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have an Intuos 4 medium tablet on Windows 7 with LR5.7.1 and not experiencing this issue.

In addition to JoeKostoss' suggestion, when adjusting sliders hold down the Shift key to increase precision. When adjusting the Point Curve holding down the ALT key to increase precision.

• 8. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                        johnhawk666 Level 3

If, after investigating all the suggestions made here, and finding no solution, you might care to look at a thread, entitled "Re: Pen Tablet Problems..." In the " More like this " section on the right hand side of this page. A couple of years ago several people posted about problems using Wacom tablets with Lr, and their problem was sometimes solved by downgrading their Wacom driver to an earlier version. Not an intuitive solution but it might be worth a try if nothing else can be made to work.

In any case, please post if you find a solution, or even if you don't, so that others in the future can look here for help

• 9. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JoeKostoss wrote:

If yo click the Customize button, you can perform addition adjustments

OK, got it.

That threshold feature, which is exactly what's needed, must be in the Intuos Pro. I got an Intuos Pen and Touch just to get a feel for the thing before committing too much money, but apparently that was a mistake. With this one, there's no threshold setting and I already have Tip Feel at the max setting.

• 10. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have my Intuos 4 medium set one above default and did not change anything in Customize...no issues. I suggest checking Wacom's site for a driver update. If none I'd enter a Tech Support Request. How does the tablet behave in PS?

• 11. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                              chesty01 Level 1

It works much better in PS, still a bit buggy on the sliders though.

If you could just turn off the tip so the only action that it does is move the cursor around, and only becomes active once you click the upper or lower toggle on the side of the pen then it would be absolutely perfect in that it would work just like a mouse.  For those who need it active all the time, then have the choice to choose between the two settings.

• 12. Re: Using a Wacom Pro Tablet Medium size
                                chesty01 Level 1

When you turn off the tip and assign the lower button as a left click (click) and the top button as a right click, the pen behaves just like a mouse and then the sliders work perfectly because you can let go of the button as on a mouse once you set the slider and it doesn't move randomly anymore.