10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2015 11:22 PM by Keith_Reeder

NEF in Lightroom

Llenroc55

I have a Nikon D800 and take photos in RAW and jpeg.

I have lightroom and photoshop. These have both been updated to the latest versions. Eg. Camera Raw Plug in 8.8 Lightroom version 5.7.

When I try to import to Lightroom, a message comes up and says “preview unavailable for this file.

When I go to Import, I get a message that says “The file is not recognised by the raw format support in Lightroom. (1) Then it says check for updates. When I check for updates it says “Your software is up to date. No updates are available at this time.

For some reason, my version of lightroom doesn’t allow me to import NEF files even though I am fully updated.

• 1. Re: NEF in Lightroom
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you by any chance use a Nikon utility to transfer the files to your computer? If so there is a big chance this utility damaged the files. Older versions of Nikon's transfer utility make the NEF files unreadable by non-Nikon software. This often happens when you had the software installed for an older camera. It is a good idea to NEVER use Nikon software to transfer raw/NEF files.

• 2. Re: NEF in Lightroom
            Llenroc55 Level 1

I did transfer the files using Nikon transfer. The jpeg files look fine and the NEF files look fine when opened in another program.

When I go to import files from lightroom, the jpegs are recognised but not the NEF files.

• 3. Re: NEF in Lightroom

That's actually typical. jpeg files are usually not damaged by the utility. The other software in general doesn't actually show you the raw file, but it shows the jpeg embedded in the raw, so you don't see the corruption in the raw data that is actually present. You should download the files using the software built in to your operating system or directly using Lightroom from the card. You can also update your Nikon Transfer to the latest version and download with that but that perpetuates the problem to when you update your camera again so you are usually better off not using Nikon's software to transfer files at all as it is known to alter the nef files in ways that outside software cannot read the raw data anymore. If you already deleted the files from your memory cards, you can try to fix the files using the utility available here: Fix Corrupted Nikon NEF Images as you are not the first to run into this problem.

• 4. Re: NEF in Lightroom
                Debbieliebert

I had the same problem. So you are saying that if I import the NEF files using ViewNX, that I can not reinsert the card and import them into Lightroom?

• 5. Re: NEF in Lightroom

>So you are saying that if I import the NEF files using ViewNX, that I can not reinsert the card and import them into Lightroom?

No, that's not a problem. The problem comes in when you import using Nikons's tools and then import the nef files from there into Lightroom. Nikon's import tools tend to corrupt the files in a way that Lightroom can't read them anymore. The files on your card themselves will still be fine. It's just the ones on your hard disk that were imported using Nikon's tools that can be a problem. This is only a problem when you use an old version of the tool that was released before the camera was released.

• 6. Re: NEF in Lightroom
                    Debbieliebert Level 1

I have the card in my card reader and I am trying to import the files and i get the error message. Also, once i download the fix NEF files fix application,

when I try to open it, it just puts me in a loop and doesn't open.

• 7. Re: NEF in Lightroom
                      Debbieliebert Level 1

If the file is corrupted, why can photoshop camera raw 9.1 open it with no problem?

• 8. Re: NEF in Lightroom
                        Debbieliebert Level 1

Again, why will Lightroom 5.7 not import NEF files from my D7200 SD card?

• 9. Re: NEF in Lightroom

Because 5.7 is too old to read raw files from the d7200. Support was first added at Lightroom 6.0. Camera raw 9.1 was released after Lightroom 5.7. You should update Lightroom or use the free dng converter to create dng files from your d7200 Nefs that Lightroom 5.7 can read.

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: NEF in Lightroom
                            Keith_Reeder Level 4

Debbieliebert wrote:

Again, why will Lightroom 5.7 not import NEF files from my D7200 SD card?

Cameras supported by Camera Raw