6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 9:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Aperture user

Chas 65

I am a aperture user for many years with the new photos coming out I have a concern been thinking about switching to Elements I have over 3000 photos and hours of videos would like to switch over to but I'm not very tech savvy. All my videos and photos our  on portable external hard drive on Apple formate .

• 1. Re: Aperture user
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JPG pictures are normally very standard, and should work in any program that reads JPG

What do you mean by "Apple format" for your video?

Codec tutorial on Vimeo https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1567965

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Aperture user
            Chas 65 Level 1

Have hour of set up over years with Projects with  Aperture I will have to start over with Elements right that what i meant Apple formate I am over 70 years and not to good with this stuff. Have Apple store close would go to  classes at store for help.

• 3. Re: Aperture user
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chas 65

At this point, what version of Premiere Elements Mac do you have? Or, are you just thinking about purchasing Photoshop Elements 13 (for photo editing) along with Premiere Elements 13 (for video editing).

What do you have on that external hard drive....your photos (jpgs or other) and videos (with .mp4 or .mov file extension or other)? Or do you have project files from the Aperture program?

Also, do you have your videos and photos in some sort of Aperture catalog or album and are trying to figure out how to get the photos and videos out of there?

ATR

• 4. Re: Aperture user
                Chas 65 Level 1

Thanks for the help   I've been using iMac for about three years and also have Retina display 15 inch eventually Apple is going to discontinue Aperture I don't want to put any more time knowing that it would not be supported in the near future so I've been thinking I'm going back two elements which I used many years ago when I use Windows I am beta testing photos and it is very limited compared to Aperture so I am thinking I'm going back to Elements but I'm wondering what kind of problems I'll be running into the nice thing about Apple I am a star very close you can get one to one appointments to help me through the learning process Apple software. Excuse my language I'm over 70 years old not the greatest eyesight I know my fingers don't work so well I don't have any Elements software at this time'I do not use external hard drive and all my photos and movies are There with two extra backups the updated regular this allows me to you my desktop iMac on my retina display when I want to do photo editing everything is kept in one place on my external 2 terabytesTB hard drive any help you can get me Will shall be appreciated .

To answer your questions directly

I do have an external hard drive where are my photos the movies are kept

I don't have printer elements on my Mac

Everything it's on my external hard drive is been working with Aperture or iMovie and my concern is I use that same hard drive that's been used by Aperture and switch over to Premier Elements?

• 5. Re: Aperture user
                  Chas 65 Level 1

Yes movies photos are all set up as Project  in the apple aperture for

minute would like to switch to Premier elements because  end of Aperture

• 6. Re: Aperture user
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Chas 65

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. And, I have never used Aperture. So, I have been trying to do some reading on Aperture.

Before Aperture is discontinued, it would be a good idea to download and install the tryout of the latest version of Photoshop Elements and/or Premiere Elements on your Mac computer...if you intend to stay with Mac rather than go to Windows.

1. There have been several reports about the readability of the text used for menus - not big enough and not adjustable even when the computer display is customized.

2. If you have the originals (as photo or video) on the hard drive, a simple Add Media from the hard drive save location into Premiere Elements workspace should work for you. Apparently you have copies of the originals in the Aperture project. Any source media you have embedded in an Aperture project can be exported as a file saved to the computer hard drive from where you can import the files into Premiere Elements (provided the Aperture file export has a format supported by Premiere Elements Editor).

I think it is time to evaluate Premiere Elements first hand through its tryout.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR