4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 7:01 PM by johns45317965

Does anyone know of a free Comments box script / widget that actually works???

johns45317965 Level 1

Re: Dreamweaver 2014.1.1

I've searched and tried over thirty different scripts so far....everything from HTML to CSS to javascript! Some java's worked and came out well (ex. Free Comment Script - Generate free ajax driven HTML comments on your website.) BUT when I press the "Post Comment" it does nothing at all. But other than that their great in reference to looks and what-not.

Attached are pictures of the web screen-shot (above) where all is working EXCEPT the post comment and below is the script.

So if anyone knows how to either get my java script I noted above to work when I press "Post Comment " or can link me to a reliable, simple Comments box/script/widget for me to post at the bottom of my <body> I would thank you dearly 1.jpg2.jpg

• 1. Re: Does anyone know of a free Comments box script / widget that actually works???
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The main issue with comments scripts, once you're past the euphoria of getting them working, is spam control.

Spammers love insecure (which most free ones are) comments systems and will have a field day. You'll spend hours weeding them out on a daily basis. Been there, done that.

Have you considered a robust solution such as Disqus?

Disqus – The Web’s Community of Communities

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does anyone know of a free Comments box script / widget that actually works???
            johns45317965 Level 1

Hi John. Thanks for the information on threats in relation to chats. For the particular page I'm working with, it is based on an invite-only birthday party page....so the risk of spam is rather low. As for four suggestion/link, I went ahead and installed the Disqus script and (unfortunately) it came-up blank (like many of the previous have). Making me wonder if I'm doing something wrong in some ways. Here's a pic of what I got/installed:

3.jpg

in the meantime I gave them my email and all my info and will prob be getting ads now for awhile :-(

I don't see what I can be doing wrong. I keep getting scripts/codes that will be supposed to be perfect to bring-up perfect Comments in the <body> but they either keep coming up blank, as ads or not fully working. Does Adobe offer a Comments script?

UPDATE: The script for Free Comment Script - Generate free ajax driven HTML comments on your website. DOES work! I made my background image color too dark and that's why it's "x+y =" box wasn't showing, hence that is why it wasn't working. I will also note that any comments posted on it will first get emailed to the emailed applied to confirm it's an appropriate email before it gets posted. Overall, it's a decent Comment script. I still wish they were more available and easier to "play" with through Adobe DW.

• 3. Re: Does anyone know of a free Comments box script / widget that actually works???
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the particular page I'm working with, it is based on an invite-only birthday party page....so the risk of spam is rather low.

Tempting to think like that but it's not how spam works.

Believe me, if it's on the web, spambots will find it and attack it. They don't need an invite. They relish exploiting insecure scripts.

Here's a pic of what I got/installed:

Screenshots don't really help much. Got a link to the live page so we can take a look?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Does anyone know of a free Comments box script / widget that actually works???
                johns45317965 Level 1

So the concept was that the spam was through the site providing, I completely understand....as I did get a lot of "hocus-pocus" crap during the preview of whatever code I pasted.

As for the code which I installed and came up blank, here is a copy of it (I saved it just in case I want to try it again):

<div id="disqus_thread"></div>

<script type="text/javascript">

/* * * CONFIGURATION VARIABLES * * */

var disqus_shortname = 'httpwwwoneidaservicescommariabdayhtml';

/* * * DON'T EDIT BELOW THIS LINE * * */

(function() {

var dsq = document.createElement('script'); dsq.type = 'text/javascript'; dsq.async = true;

dsq.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/embed.js';

(document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0]).appendChild(dsq);

})();

</script>

<noscript>Please enable JavaScript to view the <a href="https://disqus.com/?ref_noscript" rel="nofollow">comments powered by Disqus.</a></noscript>

for comment count, add:

<script type="text/javascript">

/* * * CONFIGURATION VARIABLES * * */

var disqus_shortname = 'httpwwwoneidaservicescommariabdayhtml';

/* * * DON'T EDIT BELOW THIS LINE * * */

(function () {

var s = document.createElement('script'); s.async = true;

s.type = 'text/javascript';

s.src = '//' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/count.js';

(document.getElementsByTagName('HEAD')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('BODY')[0]).appendChild(s);

}());

</script>