4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 7:01 AM by A.T. Romano

Why does Premiere Elements 8 not start correctly?

mariar69197767

I have a problem with Premiere Elements 8, using PC, Windows 8.1. Starting the program I can start a new project and save it. After this the menue appears but the working area is grey. There is no option to use any point of the menue beside starting a new project but this doesn´t help. New start of the pc did not chance anything. I uninstalled the program and installed it again. The problem is still there. In the past I used the program without any problem. Mc Afee is new installed, this is the only chance beside updates of Windows, they are automatically installed. Can anybody help me?

• 1. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 8 not start correctly?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

For what it's worth, version 8 was one of the most troublesome builds ever of Premiere Elements. Adobe did issue an update to it (8.01) which resolved a number of performance issues, but even that was just a band-aid fix.

As an experiment I'd recommend downloading the free trial of Premiere Elements 13 and seeing if it works well. That will help tell you if the problem is with Premiere Elements 8 or if it's with your computer configuration.

If Premiere Elements 13 does work, I'd consider running a version of Premiere Elements other than 8 -- ideally one of the later versions that take advantage of Windows 8's 64-bit technology but, if not, even version 9, 10 or 11.

• 2. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 8 not start correctly?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mariar

When Premiere Elements 8 was released it was highly unstable. After the 8.0.1 Update was installed, I found that program to be stable and reliable on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit to this day.

As for alternative versions, versions 10, 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit are 64 bit applications. Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 9.0/9.0.1 will be a 32 bit applications whether run on a 32 or 64 bit computer.

Before moving to a later version, please consider some troubleshooting on 8.0/8.0.1

a. McAfee is notorious for its conflicts with Premiere Elements (any version). Please look at your issues with and without McAfee disabled.

If it comes to it, look at the issue with it uninstalled instead of just with its Real Time Protection disabled.

b. Make sure that you have disabled the automatic Background Rendering feature and the AutoAnalyzer feature.

c. Assure that you still have 8.0.1 Update installed.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 8 not start correctly?
              mariar69197767 Level 1

Thank you für your answers

The Testversion of Photoshop 13 is doing fine. Actually I had Premiere 8.0, not 8.01.

I will test the Programm for a while and hope it will be stable all the time. Version 8.0 did fine for a long time. If there ist any further problem I will tell you.

So long

Maria

• 4. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 8 not start correctly?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

maria

If you have not already, please consider...just in case message, you need not reply

Before you make any decisions on the fate of Premiere Elements 8, please evaluate it as the 8.0.1 Update which can be obtained from Adobe using the following link

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 update

For reasons unknown to users, Adobe does not place a "8.0.1" in the description of the program once the 8.0.1 update is installed.

I guess we get our OK immediately after installation with a update installed successfully message. And that is that.

Two possible signs

1. If the automatic Background Rendering in preferences was enabled before 8.0.1, it is disabled after 8.0.1.

2. There is one file in the program files on the hard drive that, as I recall, may be new or renamed.

For me, that update (plus shutting off the AutoAnalzyer feature in Elements Organizer) made the difference between usable versus

unusable version 8 program.

Best wishes

ATR