7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2015 4:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.

Clearwater1950

I have been using Adobe 10 to make little home videos for a couple of years...but haven't opened an old project or started a new project for six months or so.  I tried to start a new project today.  Everything   seems fine.  The project screen comes up.  I click to import files.  I choose the files.  The files show up in the menu, but when I move them to the time line, or click to edit them, they simply open w/no content.  Just a white screen.  I tried getting out and restarting computer...same result.  Is there a solution?

• 1. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what operating system you're using, but have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have all -- including the non-critical -- updates?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web sites to ensure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

If you've done all of these things and it still doesn't work, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program?

• 2. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
            Clearwater1950 Level 1

Operating system?  Dell XPS with Intel CORE i7 , Windows 8.  (as you

probably can deduce from my answer.....I am a tech infant)  As for the rest

of your questions....no, no, no and no.  So will do those things and see

what happens.  Thanks for replying.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Clearwater1950

If you were to import some JPEG photos to the Timeline instead of these videos, do you have problems with the display as you described for your video?

Just in case mention....what video card/graphics card is being used for the computer on which Premiere Elements 10 is installed ? NVIDIA GeForce? Are you aware of that known issue in which latest driver version of the card is not your answer. Rather the answer is to roll back the driver version to about May 2013. If you have not seen this mentioned before, please check out...

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

This solution may not be possible for you if NVIDIA does not have old enough drivers for your particular computer operating system.

If the above applies to you, are you set up so that automatic video card/graphics card driver version update could take place without you being aware of them?

Please review and consider. If the above turns out to be a non factor, I would like to know much more about the properties of these files that you are importing into the project.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
                Clearwater1950 Level 1

Well Steve...I spent what was left of the morning and this afternoon

running updates.  I have windows 8 64 bit operating system.  I went to

Windows and updated everything that was left.  It automatically updates.

The computer has a GT620 Nvidia graphic card...which I updated.  I updated

quicktime....and Premier Elements10 still doesn't work.  So...I guess it is

time to try to uninstall and then install it anew.  I will do some snooping

on line to see if I can get some instructions on how to do that

safely....and if I can save existing video files.  If you have some really

good pointers I would appreciate hearing about them.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Larry Ross <larry.dee.ross@gmail.com>

• 5. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
                  Clearwater1950 Level 1

Thanks A.T.  Unfortunately, I didn't see your post before I spent the afternoon updating everything, including the downloading an updated GT620.  I went to the site you linked and it doesn't list the GT620 as a problem that has been identified....but it is in the 600 family and I note many of those needed to be rolled back.  I will snoop around and see if there is an older version...and yes, the computer automatically updates so it is possible it updated and I wasn't aware of it.  I will try a jpeg photo to see if it also comes up empty in the program. 

• 6. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
                    Clearwater1950 Level 1

A.T. - I tried a jpeg.  It loads into the menu....but when placed on timeline it is blank. 

• 7. Re: Unable to start new projects or open old projects in Adobe 10.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Clearwater

Your issue has the full profile for the known Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce. No measure of uninstall/reinstall resolves that.

Did you plug your numbers into the NVIDIA GeForce search field to find a driver for your card? I just went back to review your prior information in this thread. If you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 64 bit, you are unlikely to find a driver old enough for your particular GeForce for your computer.

Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, or 13/13.1 on Window 8 with your NVIDIA GeForce is not expected to be hit by this issue.

The solutions boil down to

a. get a non NVIDIA GeForce for your computer with Premiere Elements 10

or

b. move on to Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, or 13/13.1 on your present computer

You could look at tryout versions of these before any thoughts of purchase.

or

c. if you have a Windows 7 64 bit computer and use Premiere Elements 10, you are more likely to find a May 2013 driver for it.

To date, I have not see other any action on this from Adobe nor NVIDIA.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR