13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 12:45 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?

digitaldoodlebug Level 1

I bought premiere elements 13 yesterday and got my dvd ready to go. I started burning it today and it's been over an hour and still processing, it may have taken 1.5 hours total. Trying to run photoshop at the same time was making photoshop very slow so I checked resources I saw premiere was using 99% of my cpu, even after closing photoshop. When the screenshot was taken it was at 93% encoding and dropped a little. I have an i3 3.4gz dual core and have never seen it go above 50%, and even that was just a spike. The system also has 8gb of ddr3 ram on windows 7 64bit.

The dvd burning appears to be done but the program won't respond, it's now fluctuating between 0-5% of my cpu but is still not responding. It doesn't have the actual not responding, program frozen error, and makes me wonder if it is done burning.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 1. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you haven't got a very powerful computer for running a 64-bit operating system and program on. So you could well max out your processor pretty easily on an intensive process.

But that said, how long is your video project? Processing on a dual-core computer usually takes about twice the running time of your movie -- but on an i3 processor it could take a bit longer.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? Going from a high-def video to a DVD can take much longer than going from miniDV footage to a DVD.

• 2. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
            digitaldoodlebug Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think this was a low build for 64 bit and my processor is currently running photoshop cs6  and elements 13 at 1-9% cpu with this project open. Usually it is extremely low.  It's 16 animated videos a few minutes each for a total of 49 min, and are 720p. I can understand if it takes double the amount of time to turn that into a dvd but I almost can't use my computer while it's doing it.

Last week I had used a basic program to make the same dvd, not many features but it made it in 30 minutes or less and never spiked the cpu. I'm new to the world of dvd making so just learning here. Maybe that one isn't as high a quality as what premiere will make.

Also my dvd drive won't open since it got done burning, not sure if that's a separate issue or not.

• 3. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

digitaldoodlebug

For your consideration as you factor in or out possible factors contributing your burn to failures.

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Have you updated to the 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates. If not, please do so. Are you confirming that your DVDs are DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 has a preference named Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher. Have you looked at your DVD burn tos with and without that preference disabled in Edit Menu/Preferences/General?

Regarding this problem project's 49 min 720p source of animated videos, with the disc in the burner tray, what does the burn dialog show for Quality area Space Required and Bitrate? What are these 16 animated video...animated.gif or something else? In contrast, what was on the project with the 30 min content that went well. What about the burn dialog's Space Required and Bitrate on that one?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                digitaldoodlebug Level 1

Operating system windows 7 with 64 bit. Yes it prompted the update today and I did that before burning the disc. The project on another program that ran so quickly was the same videos at 49 min length. I got this for the the options it had in customization but it's the same project. Odly the other one I didn't have to render either, and with adobe I had to render it which took 45 minutes or an hour or else the video was shaky (on top of the burn time). All in all it seems to take a strangely long amount of time. I'm not needing to make any edits or affects, mostly for now I'm only using the custom menu options.

AVCHD in  looking it up sounds like it has to do with camcorders, which were not used to make the video and it was set to burn to dvd. The videos being burned are animated videos in mp4 format. My dvds being use are dvd+r. Though the first one I burned in the other program was a dvd +rw

The space is 3.16gb, bitrate 8mbps. This time when I opened premiere it said no disc inserted and kept displaying that even when I hit cancel for 12 or so times before letting me continue, then popped up another 4 times when I closed the program. I'm going to try a computer restart to see if it will eject the disc.

And the dvd burn tos I'll have to figure out once I restart. I did find the hd graphics preference.

Edit: ok it did eject the disc and I could see the burn on it. Testing it on the dvd player now and it's working. I can't figure out what the burn tos is. However I just looked at the burn and it was set to fit contents to available space. When I uncheck that, that is the highest quality. The most space is 783mb at 1.69mbps. Now I wonder if I need to start a support ticket or something. While looking through the options of the program (with a blank disk in) it just popped up the no disk drive error again.

• 5. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

digitaldoodlebug

Thanks for the reply and considering the comments.

Please remain with the "Fit Content to Available Space" option with a check mark next to it.

The only time that I disable that option by removing that check mark is when I get a Data Rate error message which forces me to remove that check mark so that I can manually set the Bitrate to lower value to enable the burn process to proceed.

783 MB at 1.69 Mbps (megabits per second) is definitely the lowest quality bitrate set. The maximum bitrate in Premiere Elements burn to is 8.00 Mbps.

If you are using a standard DVD disc (4.7 GB/120 minutes), in reality that 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB for your disc capacity. The Premiere Elements burn to DVD uses a variable bitrate which means that your max 8.00 Mbps will vary across the DVD being produced.

If you are seeing a No Disc error in the mix, that is another matter...there is a known error in 13/13.1 which requires deletion or disabling of the OldFilm.AEX file. This has been written about here a lot.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Plug-ins

Common

NewBlue

and in the NewBlue Folder is the OldFilm.AEX file that you delete or disable by renaming it from OldFilm.AEX to OldFilm.AEXOLD.

So, please look at that, leave the check mark next to Fit Content To Available Space (if 8.00 Mbps is much less than 8.00, then consider a Double Layer Single Sided DVD (8.5 GB/240 minutes, in reality 7.95 GB).

We will be watching for your progress. Any clarification needed, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                    digitaldoodlebug Level 1

Thank you, I did leave it checked.

For the error I did a search earlier and found that,however I don't have that file. In x86 programs I have a newblue folder that is blank (not inside adobe), and the same thing in regular programs. In adobe in program files there is the application launcher and a folder for elements organizer, no adobe premiere elements 13 folder. A search for the file name brings no results. I did start off with the trial then bought the download on amazon and used the code, maybe I need to try reinstalling.

• 7. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

digitaldoodlebug

Thanks for the follow ups.

The OldFilm.AEX that you need to delete is the one in the path mentioned (starting with Local Disk C/Program Files, not Program Files (x86), for your Windows 7 64 bit computer with Premiere Elements 13. You should be OK if there is not OldFilm.AEX is that path cited. Are you still getting the No Disk error at this time?

If you do decide to uninstall and reinstall, consider...

a. Uninstall Premiere Elements 13 the usual Control Panel way

b. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - Download

c. reinstall the program with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled...but, this time for installation, download and install the tryout installation files from the following web site and insert your purchased serial number in them during installation.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

To avoid Access Denied message, please follow carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions".

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                        digitaldoodlebug Level 1

I did the install last night before checking the thread again. Didn't use ccleaner but did a disk cleanup and defrag before reinstalling. Did the install from the amazon purchase page and was able to select 64 this time. Opened it and got the error 4x again. Did the update closed it, got error 4 times. Reopened, got error 4 times. Then I started a burn and while it was encoding menu cpu was at 33% and when it started encoding media it went up to 99%. So apparently like most adobe products it's just a resource hog, but that's odd their min requirements are so low.

The error is annoying but for now it's letting me burn anyway. When I first used the program on sunday the error was not there. It seemed to start after I burned the first disc and the program froze afterward.

Edit: It took just over an hour to prepare the media. Once it got to actually burning the disc the cpu dropped to 13% and it took 10 minutes. It got done and displayed the dvd on the computer and it was low quality and shakey again. Grrrr. It was like that before I did the render, but I thought the render saved along with the project. So now 1.5 hours later I've wasted a dvd. Does the render have to be done right before you burn it? Because that took another hour to render the whole dvd.

I just rendered one clip and it came up with an error then closed: src\filecahce\filecache.cpp-988

• 9. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

digitaldoodlebug

Thanks for the update.

The Timeline rendering is only a previewing matter in the Edit area. Timeline rendering is not going to fix anything. After it is done for Timeline content with the orange line over it, you should have the best possible preview of what you are going to see in the playback of the export with your player. I call it a window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later in Edit before Export.

The rendering in the Publish+Share/ area is another term for encoding. I think that source media format (animated.gif) is impacting the performance of the burn to process - as evidenced by your comments about encoding/compiling times versus actual burn to disc phase time.

Also, please be working with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space in order to make the content to disc fit and get the best quality. If you are putting 1.5 hours on a DVD disc spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 minutes, you should consider going to DVD disc double layer single sided 8.5 GB/240 minutes for better fit and quality - still with the check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                            digitaldoodlebug Level 1

Thank you for your continuing help. Sorry, I meant it tying up computer during that time. That's time to make the disc, not disc run time. It is still set to best quality, but they aren't gifs unless mp4 is seen the same way. One of them was actual footage and not a cartoon (by animated I mean cartoon style graphics in video form).

I just tested the dvd again and the main menu options are the worst. The menu and scene selection is a little fuzzy and the whole image shakes. That is all generated by premiere. Then the videos aren't bad but shake a little bit.

The preview on the program works fine and doesn't shake.

However I decided to test it in my bluray player and the quality was fine. So apparently it's only on the computer that has problems, which I'm ok with. All I have to do now is figure out the error and burn discs when I'm not going to be on the computer (or at least not running photoshop). Which this time opening the program without a dvd in the drive, the error didn't appear.

Converting the file to another format beforehand won't make the encoding faster will it? One more question, is there an option for having it start at the menu? Or does a stop marker work at the first video, just before a scene marker?

• 11. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

digitaldoodlebug

Thanks for the additional information and clarifications.

Key to the stop markers...

a. placement a few frames away from other menu maker

b. no stop marker at the very beginning or very end of the Timeline content.

You wrote

Or does a stop marker work at the first video, just before a scene marker?

If you have placed a stop marker at the beginning of the first video a few frames away from

the video 1 scene marker at the very beginning of the first video, that is going to cut that viewing down

to a few seconds or nothing.

I am not seeing any rationale for putting a stop marker at or near the beginning of the first video. The stop marker should go at the end of the first video a few frames before the scene marker at the beginning of the second video which has a stop marker at its end.....and so on until you get to the last video which has no stop marker at its end.

I have not seen any reports of burn failures due to a stop marker placed at the beginning of the Timeline. There are numerous reports of burn failures due to the stop marker placed at the end of the Timeline.

Please let me know if you are OK with the details of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                                digitaldoodlebug Level 1

Thank you. I did a preview and it seemed to catch or something with the marker at beginning so I removed it. The no disc error seems to have corrected itself.

• 13. Re: Why is CPU maxing out 100% when burning dvd?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

digitaldoodlebug

Thanks for the good news. Sounding very good. Great job on the follow through.

Best wishes.

ATR